Prototype SFFtime presents: U-ITX - 7L lightweight console case that fits 3slot GPUs

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Not been checking the forum for a while but just saw this in the recent store newsletter. I like the design but my personal feeling is that 50mm for CPU is a bit too restrictive and limits you to basically 2-3 main options like the Blackridge or the AXP90-47 (especially when there are some highly compenent coolers around the 67-75mm mark) from ID-Cooling, Thermalright and Noctua and the likes.

Even at 58mm there's some good options like the ID Cooling IS-50 or IS-55 or the Scythe Shuriken 2. I'd like to see something similar to this but trade a bit of volume for better CPU clearance (maybe a halfway between the current iteration and the P-ATX)

SkorpioNElite

Chassis Packer
Feb 13, 2021
That would be a complete other case class. P-ATX I think. 50mm CPU cooler height is enough for 65W CPUs or better CPUs limited to that number (AMD Eco Mode).

Coolers are also available, of course not as many.

The classic Noctua Small Form Factor coolers for example.

Or this one https://www.bequiet.com/de/cpucooler/3992.
I'm currently using the Pure Rock LP in the Sentry 2.0 and it works quite good.

L91

Average Stuffer
Dec 21, 2021
www.youtube.com
Not been checking the forum for a while but just saw this in the recent store newsletter. I like the design but my personal feeling is that 50mm for CPU is a bit too restrictive and limits you to basically 2-3 main options like the Blackridge or the AXP90-47 (especially when there are some highly compenent coolers around the 67-75mm mark) from ID-Cooling, Thermalright and Noctua and the likes.

Even at 58mm there's some good options like the ID Cooling IS-50 or IS-55 or the Scythe Shuriken 2. I'd like to see something similar to this but trade a bit of volume for better CPU clearance (maybe a halfway between the current iteration and the P-ATX)
In all tests I've ran on AM5 and LGA1700, the AXP90-X47 FC outperforms the IS-55 and is only slightly worse than BS3 and far better than L12GE. This cooler punches well above its weight class. Not sure if it fairs quite as well on AM4. 50mm clearance is completely fine.

Reactions: HWI and Atlas

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com

Hi, thanks for the feedback!

I was considering this, but after giving it some thought I concluded that it would be too close to the P-ATX to differentiate it from it, and you would only get maybe slightly better cpu cooling as L91 said, and wouldn't gain much for the GPU since it can already fit 3slot models and wider ones are also longer than 305mm so I would also have to make it longer, which would bring it even closer to the P-ATX.

Main goal for this one was maximum space and weight savings, and I may have overdone it but we'll have to see! Hiting the 7L mark with this compatibility wasn't easy.

SkorpioNElite

Chassis Packer
Feb 13, 2021
You promised some pictures ;) ... Any kind of release date for us?
Currently your competitors are merely the Sentry 3.0 (Maybe Mid 2024) or the cosole-case-style Velcase (Maybe Early 2024).

Apparently there won't be a new generation of graphic cards for some time.
And the 4090 fits in your case just fine.

Some updates?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
You promised some pictures ;) ... Any kind of release date for us?
Currently your competitors are merely the Sentry 3.0 (Maybe Mid 2024) or the cosole-case-style Velcase (Maybe Early 2024).

Apparently there won't be a new generation of graphic cards for some time.
And the 4090 fits in your case just fine.

Some updates?

Got the prototype, and still testing it, here are some teasers:

Atlas

Chassis Packer
Nov 14, 2022
Very impressive, good work!
I welcome your decision to not have any front IO.

Do you include a 4.0 compatible riser?
What do you think is the optimum 12VHPWR custom cable length for the RTX 4090 FE?

Please keep us updated.
I can't wait! 😵

Reactions: HWI

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Very impressive, good work!
I welcome your decision to not have any front IO.

Do you include a 4.0 compatible riser?
What do you think is the optimum 12VHPWR custom cable length for the RTX 4090 FE?

Please keep us updated.
I can't wait! 😵

Hi, thanks, glad you like it :)

There will be gen3 and gen4 options. For the cable something like 15-20cm should be enough.

Reactions: Atlas

SomeRandomDeafDude

Trash Compacter
Dec 4, 2019
I feel insane asking this- but here goes.

Would it be possible to do a full watercooled build in this with: 12600K+MSI Ventus 2x 4070 watercooled(waterblock permits it to 171mm long), with a single 240mm radiator+fans, and a HDPlex GaN 500W? I'm not sure how I'd lay everything out, but I can say this: GPU under motherboard, motherboard in typical spot, radiator on right of everything and 500W GaN on top of case or somewhere else within the case. I'm just dabbling with a thought, that's all.

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I feel insane asking this- but here goes.

Would it be possible to do a full watercooled build in this with: 12600K+MSI Ventus 2x 4070 watercooled(waterblock permits it to 171mm long), with a single 240mm radiator+fans, and a HDPlex GaN 500W? I'm not sure how I'd lay everything out, but I can say this: GPU under motherboard, motherboard in typical spot, radiator on right of everything and 500W GaN on top of case or somewhere else within the case. I'm just dabbling with a thought, that's all.

ok I just checked, it could tightly fit behind the GPU if it is one slot thick and has a backplate

Reactions: Atlas