Prototype SFFtime presents: U-ITX - 7L lightweight console case that fits 3slot GPUs

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi everyone,

I am really proud to announce the new SFFtime case called U-ITX. It brings the familiar SFFtime design into a smaller volume of just 7 liters, but still has the space and compatibility suitable to fit top end gaming hardware.
It is also designed for maximum weight reduction and the case chassis weighs less than 800g! This along with small volume and footprint allows for easy transport and won't occupy much of your desk space.

This case was not easy to design, this is the 3rd iteration designed completely from zero even before the first prototype. I wasn't satisfied with earlier revisions so I had to scrap them and start from zero three times. It was really tricky to space optimize for this kind of volume and compatibility and every mm was crucial and well utilized.

Even with such small volume, airflow was not sacrificed so it will be able to cool every piece of hardware you can fit. Speaking of which, this case was designed to fit RTX4090 founders edition, so max 3slots thick and 305mm long GPUs should fit. But it also has a party trick, front mask can be offset using standoffs so you can increase the maximum GPU length.

It can also fit CPU coolers up to 50mm tall, so there is some clearance if you are using 47mm tall coolers and you shouldn't get bad turbulence.
On the motherboard and PSU side it can fit ITX boards and SFX/SFX-L supplies.

In the following picture you can see some extra optional configurations, including:

1 - standard config with a big GPU
2 - AIO config with an ITX sized GPU
3 - APU config with no dGPU and 240mm AIO
4 - borderline DIY config with an ATX motherboard, 2slot GPU and a HDplex 400w PSU

Basic specifications are as follows:

- 7 L volume with 308 x 335 x 68 mm outer dimensions

- console style case with CPU and GPU fans in the same orientation for optimal airflow

- vertically mounted GPU

- support for 3 slot GPU's up to 306 mm long and 140 mm tall

- support for ITX motherboards

- CPU air coolers up to 50 mm tall

- SFX power supplies up to 130 mm long

- mount for 120/240 mm AIO in certain configurations

- back of motherboard accessible for cooler and M.2 installation

- support for up to three 2.5" hard drives

- fully aluminum lightweight construction (0.8 kg weight with 1 mm thick panels)

- inverted layout option

- narrow footprint - 100 mm wide with included stand

I already inspected the prototype, looks good and tolerances are fine. I am just waiting for a new CPU cooler and for it to be powdercoated before I test it with working components.

Now of course, this model is not as sturdy as its bigger brothers since it uses 1mm panels but once all the panels are closed it is sturdy enough. One of the reasons I used more panel screws than I usually do.

One of the big benefits of it being lightweight is that it will most likely have less than 2kg of weight for the whole package, which means much lower shipping cost (< $20) :)

As usual, I would like to hear your feedback and answer any questions, and huge thanks for reading!

Fa5en

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2020
😃 Damn , nice one. Was very happy with my P-ATX v2. This one is even more compact. I like the front can be offset to accommodate larger GPU's.

Reactions: riba2233

Aluminyum

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 3, 2019
Something tells me that an RTX 4090 is unlikely to be paired with a CPU which could be handled by a 50mm cooler. If the clearance were at least 70mm, though, the things would get interesting.

borderline DIY config with an ATX motherboard, 2slot GPU and a HDplex 400w PSU

As a heads-up: the 400W AC-DC adapter is discontinued, so advertising the 250W AIO PSU support (the mounting should be compatible) might be a better idea going forward.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Something tells me that an RTX 4090 is unlikely to be paired with a CPU which could be handled by a 50mm cooler. If the clearance were at least 70mm, though, the things would get interesting.

As a heads-up: the 400W AC-DC adapter is discontinued, so advertising the 250W AIO PSU support (the mounting should be compatible) might be a better idea going forward.

Thanks for the comments!

Likely pairing for 4090 is 7800x3d which runs pretty cool while gaming, or an upcoming zen5 sku with lower tdp :)

😃 Damn , nice one. Was very happy with my P-ATX v2. This one is even more compact. I like the front can be offset to accommodate larger GPU's.

Thanks for your support 👍

Looking good!

Atx with hdplex would definitely be interesting.

Thanks, yeah I would really like to see someone try it out!

Reactions: Neathdrawls

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Thanks for the comments!

Likely pairing for 4090 is 7800x3d which runs pretty cool while gaming, or an upcoming zen5 sku with lower tdp :)

Thanks for your support 👍

Thanks, yeah I would really like to see someone try it out!

Probably a little too late in the design process for changes, but would making the HDplex mount somehow also fit a Flex1U as well or instead?

400W is like, hard to find or discontinued, and doesn't seem to be enough for modern gpus, whereas a good flex 1U from Enhance should be more than sufficient.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Probably a little too late in the design process for changes, but would making the HDplex mount somehow also fit a Flex1U as well or instead?

400W is like, hard to find or discontinued, and doesn't seem to be enough for modern gpus, whereas a good flex 1U from Enhance should be more than sufficient.
I have, but unfortunately 1U psus are quite too long :|

Reactions: Neathdrawls

Aluminyum

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 3, 2019
Not bad, though that's with a 66mm cooler, and at 39 dB.

Psst...
Discontinued and 400W Combo will be replaced by HDPLEX 500W GaN AIO ATX PSU very soon
(Under "Buy Now".)

Reactions: dealda and riba2233

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
P-ATX for ITX MB case...:)

My only concern? Length of GPU : 306mm is too restrictive as except RTX 40XX FE / 7900XTX AMD card, no other will fit

DaHans

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
Its really funny writing those suggestions for the p-at in the other thread and you made this new thread. I was speachless.
Regarding the pictures, I have nothing to add.
I usually dont sell my old systems so this is the best way to "archive" them. Very narrow foot print and low volume.

So this is the case what I was searching for. Very nice finishing.

Any date or quarter you want to release it?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Its really funny writing those suggestions for the p-at in the other thread and you made this new thread. I was speachless.
Regarding the pictures, I have nothing to add.
I usually dont sell my old systems so this is the best way to "archive" them. Very narrow foot print and low volume.

So this is the case what I was searching for. Very nice finishing.

Any date or quarter you want to release it?

Haha crazy, right! Thanks, glad you like it. I will do my best to launch it really soon.

Reactions: DaHans and rfarmer

archagon

Average Stuffer
Aug 17, 2020
This is incredible! A true console-sized PC.

I'm guessing there's not enough space for front USB-A/USB-C ports?

Are you planning to make a white version?

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
This is incredible! A true console-sized PC.

I'm guessing there's not enough space for front USB-A/USB-C ports?

Are you planning to make a white version?

Hi, Thanks, glad you like it!

I wasn't planning on including the front IO for this one as it is really small and it would mess up the look of the front side.

Also was planning on black only, sorry!

archagon

Average Stuffer
Aug 17, 2020
I wasn't planning on including the front IO for this one as it is really small and it would mess up the look of the front side.
What about on the bottom, next to the power button? On my Dan A4-SFX, I find the front port invaluable for plugging in peripherals. (Especially since all my rear ports are taken up by other stuff.)
Also was planning on black only, sorry!
That's a shame... white not selling well? The P-ATX in white is one of the most striking SFF cases IMO.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
What about on the bottom, next to the power button? On my Dan A4-SFX, I find the front port invaluable for plugging in peripherals. (Especially since all my rear ports are taken up by other stuff.)

That's a shame... white not selling well? The P-ATX in white is one of the most striking SFF cases IMO.

Bottom is not optimal as the internal cable would most likely interfere with the gpu or the rad, and on the outside there wouldn't be enough space for plugging in anything. Also the case is imho small enough that the rear io is fairly close.

Yeah there are a few reasons, I will think about it but 99% that there won't be a white version, sorry! Also please check the email, thanks!