Production SFFtime presents: N-ATX V2 - 15L evolution of console case that supports ATX size parts

YeahImSpeedy

Efficiency Noob
Oct 20, 2022
8 or 10 cm should be fine. Just take care of the riser type or orientation, there is a picture in the listing.

Next batch will be at later time so don't worry!

Thank you a lot :)

Haha don't worry!

Yes there is, and I will do that in the next 20-30 minutes so try to catch it ;)
Fingers crossed! Refreshing constantly lol

Reactions: rfarmer

IceHism

Case Bender
New User
Oct 26, 2022
was really looking for a case that i can put in a backpack for a carry-on for air travel. It doesn't seem like the added dimensions on the n-atx compared to the p-atx will be that much of a problem but i am not sure (when i compared the sizes on comparessfpc, the size difference between was pretty small, n-atx is a bit bigger on all dimensions) so i'm thinking of going with the n-atx due to better gpu support, and prob better cooling maybe. Just wanted to ask how flimsy are the parts? Is it likely that parts will wobble around and get damaged by vibrations? Also does the case prefer air cooling or an AIO?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
was really looking for a case that i can put in a backpack for a carry-on for air travel. It doesn't seem like the added dimensions on the n-atx compared to the p-atx will be that much of a problem but i am not sure (when i compared the sizes on comparessfpc, the size difference between was pretty small, n-atx is a bit bigger on all dimensions) so i'm thinking of going with the n-atx due to better gpu support, and prob better cooling maybe. Just wanted to ask how flimsy are the parts? Is it likely that parts will wobble around and get damaged by vibrations? Also does the case prefer air cooling or an AIO?

Hi,

well to be honest I am not sure if this will fit, it has 405.5 x 367 size so it might be too big for carry-on. Case is sturdy and GPU is held good enough, but if you have a large and heavy gpu conventional mounting is not enough, I would advise on adding a support bracket of sorts. Most modern gpus have extra holes on the rear for that purpose. And I would recommend lighter, SFX psu just to be sure.
Air or aio, it depens on what kind of gpu you have, if it is small enough than aio will be a better option in theory.

RageX

Case Bender
New User
Oct 27, 2022
Any tests as to how the temps will be without the case fans? A little concerned as I need the 3.5" drive bay so I won't be able to install the 120mm.

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Any tests as to how the temps will be without the case fans? A little concerned as I need the 3.5" drive bay so I won't be able to install the 120mm.

I never used 120mm case fan and the case is designed to be used without one. They are like extra piece of mind if you want them but in general no need to worry, it will be fine even without it.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Here are some preliminary pictures for you:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Just saw this awesome testing from GN, looks like gen3 is still very relevant!

So you can still be happy with your gen3 risers, no worries even with 4090.
I would eventually say that even pcie 16x gen 2 could be enough..:)
But in fact, it is mostly on lower-mid gpu that pcie generation could really impact performance. Best examples are rx6400 or rx6600 where pcie port is gen 4 but either 4x or 8x. It is making a lot of sense as it is a significant cost saving overall.

Reactions: riba2233

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Best examples are rx6400 or rx6600 where pcie port is gen 4 but either 4x or 8x.
this - I think this practice will be more common moving forward since it does have some cost savings to GPU makers / AIBs and they want to make more money without moving the MSRP too much on the mainstream & budget segments. Enthusiast and TOTL cards though, doesn't matter except the PCIE riser situation where boot up is troublesome LOL which is why I now give up on all PCIE risers

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Yeah that is a bit ironic, for low end gpus you need better risers than for high end :D
Regaring booting, that is why I also offer a gen3 riser that is a bit better and can boot with gen4 selected but not run 3D. And it is not that much more expensive compared to true gen3 riser, but much less expensive compared to true gen4.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
this - I think this practice will be more common moving forward since it does have some cost savings to GPU makers / AIBs and they want to make more money without moving the MSRP too much on the mainstream & budget segments. Enthusiast and TOTL cards though, doesn't matter except the PCIE riser situation where boot up is troublesome LOL which is why I now give up on all PCIE risers

Yeah that is a bit ironic, for low end gpus you need better risers than for high end :D
Regaring booting, that is why I also offer a gen3 riser that is a bit better and can boot with gen4 selected but not run 3D. And it is not that much more expensive compared to true gen3 riser, but much less expensive compared to true gen4.

I fully agree with both of you. Regarding riser booting issue, best counter measure, from my point of view, remains iGPU.
For me we will face bigger issue than riser with massive GPU and related SAG it is generating on pcie port, leading to vertical gpu as only viable (on long term) solution.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
And here is my build log about N-ATX v2!
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...se-sfftime-n-atx-v2-complete-build-log.17997/

You will find full build log, comparison with Cerberus-X & Cats!

Awesome, log, very detailed and thank you very much for your feedback!

Let me just address some points, firstly regarding the PSU mount. I have always used the same clearance above the psu, I make it as tight as possible to increase the psu and gpu compatibility to the max. As you noticed, the key was to push the female end of an AC cable all the way in, with that there should be no problem and it is also important for proper electrical contact.
Regarding AC port fitment on SFX psu's, yes, I must admit that is it not optimal for all the SFX psus (bracket is primarily made for ATX psus and if I thinned that part even more it might be to weak and prone to bending), but there are ways around it, one is of course using an adapter like you did, and another one is just rotating the psu other way, so it intakes the air from the rear side.

Now, regarding that bolt for the right side panel, that is a valid point, it is a bit shorter but in my testing it was ok, as long as it is not tightened too much but I agree, it should be a bit longer and I will include a longer one for the next batch, thank you for noticing that!

For the usb cable I am really not sure, I haven't tested them personally and never received any reports on it, but it could also be the motherboard, it is one of the first ones with this type of connector and in general some am4 motherboards had issues with usb. If you want I can send you another one to test out.

Once again thank you so much, this is really and awesome and rare example of an awesome feedback and I am very grateful for it!