Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

timolee

Efficiency Noob
Nov 28, 2019
All parts have been shaped and are currently being powder coated. After they return from the powder coater, they will have QA assess them and then release them to me for shipping.

Actually the bare steel looks great. Just a coat of clear lacquer seals it.
For those who like the industrial look.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Actually the bare steel looks great. Just a coat of clear lacquer seals it.
For those who like the industrial look.
It does, unfortunately all units will be powder coated black. It's possible that the next run of the S402 could include some units unpainted. Also, it is Galvanized steel so sealing it might not be necessary. I'll find out though as the unpainted prototype ages.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Pre-order update: Besides the fabricated parts, I'm still waiting on the following with the current estimated delivery dates in parenthesis.

1. Front panel buttons (May 26th)
2. Vertical mats (May 25th)

The fabricator has not yet contacted me to inform me that parts are back from powder coating or that they have started the QA process. I do not expect to hear from them until they have packed the parts and are ready to ship. As soon as I hear this information, I will post here.

I also plan on sending an e-mail out to the pre-order customers on Monday the 25th with a similar update. I will update here more frequently to avoid spamming inboxes.

Reactions: brenno263 and Jerdz

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: Submitted my order for Demciflex filters. I only purchased a small lot these as they are very expensive and I'm unsure of the actual demand. My price for each will probably be $27 for US customers (free shipping).

Edit: Update #2 - The initial set of vertical pads have arrived. I will attempt to get some pictures posted of the newer design tonight or tomorrow. Just waiting on the buttons and the chassis.

Reactions: brenno263

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hi, just curious what would an SFX-L look like inside the S402, would the power button hinder some cable slots?

Looks like you've uncovered a problem. I had originally ordered some very shallow front panel buttons that would not interfere with the SFX-L units up to 5.12" in length. When my first source for those buttons canceled my order without telling me I immediately went back to my former supplier and purchased buttons from them. The problem is that the depth of the buttons increased from ~14mm to 28mm so I'm going to have to wait and see what the clearances are now that the buttons will definitely interfere with some SFX-L units.

Before I get into discussing options, I want to say that I'm going to send out an e-mail tomorrow to those who have pre-ordered informing them of the situation.

My options right now are somewhat limited. I can either officially drop SFX-L support or order new buttons and offer replacements to the pre-order customers. Of course, I would rather just replace the buttons to begin with so that I don't have to ship the chassis and the buttons separately, but I'm also not sure how quickly I can obtain a new source for the buttons (and how much shipping will cost). I will think about it tonight and update tomorrow.

Below you can see the pictures I took with my phone of the clearance using a front panel button that sits about 17mm deep. This particular button would require a clearance of 10mm from the side of the PSU to the first modular receptacle. If I manage to obtain the shallower button at 14mm deep, I think it would mean there would only be a need for a ~1/4" clearance from the edge to the receptacle. Regardless, I'm still working this all out.

IMG_20200524_150336_resize_72.jpg
IMG_20200524_150327_resize_5.jpg

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I just sent out an update to customers who pre-ordered the S402. Due to the different specifications of the new front panel button, I am unsure how many different SFX-L PSUs the stock S402 will support. For those who pre-ordered I'm promising an upgrade for the front panel button that will allow for more SFX-L PSUs to be used (if not all). I also intend on making an upgrade kit available on my website as soon as I can acquire the original buttons. A part of this upgrade kit will also be a laser cut collar that can be fit on the outside of the chassis to clear even more room so I'm confident there will be a wide range of SFX-L PSU support.

Unfortunately, I cannot check compatibility until I receive the stock buttons I purchased recently. Once I receive these buttons I'll get an updated picture of the button installed with teh Lian Li PSU installed to show compatibility.

At this time, I have two sources for the original buttons I purchased and the problem is going to be manufacturing lead time. I most likely won't be able to receive these for 4-6 weeks from the date I order so the upgrade kits will not be available for sometime. I will update this thread with more information as I get it. I plan to price the upgrade kit at around $10-15 depending on my costs. Again, pre-order customers can request this upgrade kit from me once I finalize the product.

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
I can't speak for everyone, but personally I don't mind delays to my order to fix SFX-L compatibility issues. I don't currently own any SFX units, and the recent bad batch of Corsair SF600 and SF750 SFX units combined with the low stock/high prices of SFX units and hardware in general means I probably won't be able to obtain one anytime soon. SFX-L support opens up many more options, which seems necessary in the current market.

My current power supply is a SeaSonic SGX-650 which has listed dimensions of 125 mm (L) x 125 mm (W) x 63.5 mm (H)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I can't speak for everyone, but personally I don't mind delays to my order to fix SFX-L compatibility issues. I don't currently own any SFX units, and the recent bad batch of Corsair SF600 and SF750 SFX units combined with the low stock/high prices of SFX units and hardware in general means I probably won't be able to obtain one anytime soon. SFX-L support opens up many more options, which seems necessary in the current market.

My current power supply is a SeaSonic SGX-650 which has listed dimensions of 125 mm (L) x 125 mm (W) x 63.5 mm (H)
I didn't know there was a bad batch of SFXXX units. Interesting. I know the prices of the SFX units is way high. Two years ago I was buying the SF600 Gold units for around $85/ea. Now they are $120+.

Regardless, my solution is to ship out the chassis with the buttons I have now. All those that pre-ordered will be able to issue a request for me to ship them the new slim button when I receive it - free of charge. Any future orders will require users to buy the SFX-L "kit" which could be anywhere between $10-15 depending on the parts I have to acquire. I will also note that all this is based on the diagrams of the new buttons I ordered last minute and perhaps once they arrive support for SFX-L units will be wider than I'm guessing.

That SeaSonic unit looks to be smaller than the Lian Li unit pictured above which is 130mm (L) x 125mm (W) x 63.5mm (H). That means you'll have even more clearance from the front button than the one pictured. Additionally, the Lian Li measurements are only for the enclosure, so the modular inlets are an additional 0.25" (5-6mm) above and beyond the 130mm length.

Thanks for your willingness to wait, but due to the uniqueness of the buttons I wish to purchase, it's going to take 4-6 weeks for me to get some in my hands. I don't want to delay shipping unless it proves useless for customers to have the chassis in hand. Worst scenario would be that you could remove the front panel button and instead use the rear reset button as the power button until I can ship a shorter replacement.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: I just talked with the fabricator and was told that the powder coater had been delayed due to COVID-19. They are expecting to finish the painting today and then my fabricator will discuss with them when and how they can arrange pickup. I'm quite sure this means delivery to mean will be next week earliest.

Good news though, the longer buttons have arrived (according to the tracking number) as have all the remaining mats. I should be able to create a product for the horizontal and vertical mats tomorrow for the pre-order distribution list. The Demciflex filters have not shipped yet and look to still be in the "processing" state. So to summarize the status of all the things:

1. S402: Paint should be done today and then will need to be shipped to me for inspection/packing. Expecting next week for receipt of the chassis.
2. Vertical/Horizontal mats: Received and will be product-ized tomorrow.
3. Front Panel buttons (long version, SFX-L interfering): Arrived today, I will install in the prototype and take more pictures.
4. Demciflex filter: On order, currently in the state "processing". I don't expect to receive these for at least two more weeks.

My next pre-order update e-mail will contain links to all the products listed above for purchase.

Reactions: brenno263 and Jerdz

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Late night update: I just found a source for the short buttons that can deliver them around June 10. That means before I get the chassis from the fabricator I should know whether or not the buttons will be soon to follow. I'm hoping I'll get them sooner and can include them with each order as they ship out.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Morning Update:

1. Demciflex filters have been shipped and are currently estimated to arrive June 1.
2. Long buttons were delivered to my old address so I just picked them up this morning. It's possible they will not interfere with all SFX-L PSUs.
3. I sourced new short buttons that will definitely not interfere with SFX-L PSUs and ordered some. Their lead time is 3 days and I paid an additional fee to have them express delivered. It is possible they could arrive before June 10.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Pictures of the "long" buttons
IMG_20200529_074350_resize_0.jpg
IMG_20200529_074355_resize_66.jpg

So, it appears the "long" button style will not work with most SFX-L PSUs, but let me reiterate: Those who pre-ordered will receive the "short" button for free. I'm working on getting those in as soon as possible so I can ship them with the chassis.

I'm very confident that the new buttons will work with all SFX-L units. It's 14mm shorter so the wire terminals on the new buttons will be just about flush with the right side of the PSU (looking from the perspective above).

I intend on writing up another update e-mail today for the pre-order customers as I had hoped to ship out their cases by today. It appears likely that the new timeframe will be the week beginning June 8th.

Last edited:

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
I'm late to this but wondering what the pre-order ship status is if I jump on now?

I have a 401 but am very interested as I'm getting too often hamstrung by GPU slot width right now.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I'm late to this but wondering what the pre-order ship status is if I jump on now?

I have a 401 but am very interested as I'm getting too often hamstrung by GPU slot width right now.

I just sent you a PM.

Reactions: vanbeveren