Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: Waiting to hear from the fabricator today, but I'm going to tackle the following items:

1. Recording a build video using the unpainted prototype. I realized the lack of paint will help make the details of the chassis easier to see during a build.
2. Finish labeling all the fasteners that will come with the S402.
3. Touch-up the quick start guide and upload that to the S402 product page.
4. Fold the packaging for the pre-orders and group included accessories into each one.

The priority today is to get the build video completed. It's going to be the same low-quality as the S401 build video. I'm not a "videographer" and don't have great equipment for recording but it will get the job done.

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
Update: Waiting to hear from the fabricator today, but I'm going to tackle the following items:

1. Recording a build video using the unpainted prototype. I realized the lack of paint will help make the details of the chassis easier to see during a build.
2. Finish labeling all the fasteners that will come with the S402.
3. Touch-up the quick start guide and upload that to the S402 product page.
4. Fold the packaging for the pre-orders and group included accessories into each one.

The priority today is to get the build video completed. It's going to be the same low-quality as the S401 build video. I'm not a "videographer" and don't have great equipment for recording but it will get the job done.
If possible, could you demonstrate where 3.5" drives are intended to be mounted? I'm considering mounting at least one 3.5" drive in my build, as I will be using this as a PLEX server as well as an HTPC, but iirc the product pictures only showed 2.5" drive mounting positions. Just wondering what my mounting options for 3.5" drives in the S402 would be with a 2-slot 210mm length "Mini" GPU.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
If possible, could you demonstrate where 3.5" drives are intended to be mounted? I'm considering mounting at least one 3.5" drive in my build, as I will be using this as a PLEX server as well as an HTPC, but iirc the product pictures only showed 2.5" drive mounting positions. Just wondering what my mounting options for 3.5" drives in the S402 would be with a 2-slot 210mm length "Mini" GPU.
Sure, I'll try to make a separate video to cover just the disk options. When I finish it I'll try to link it here.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
@grsychckn you're a legend!! :D
How so? Did I miss something?

I realized that I don't have the right equipment to record a video tonight. I actually think my best option is to record on my phone (Pixel 4XL) so I'm going to get an adapter so I can mount it on my tripod so it won't get in the way while I assemble the prototype build. I'll have to do this tomorrow or sometime much later as I don't expect to have much free time towards the end of this week.

Update: New buttons have been shipped. I'm hoping to receive them in the next 5 business days.

I don't have an update from the fabricator. I'm trying not to pester them as I know they are working as hard as they can to prep everything for shipping.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

I realized that I don't have the right equipment to record a video tonight. I actually think my best option is to record on my phone (Pixel 4XL) so I'm going to get an adapter so I can mount it on my tripod so it won't get in the way while I assemble the prototype build. I'll have to do this tomorrow or sometime much later as I don't expect to have much free time towards the end of this week.

Update: New buttons have been shipped. I'm hoping to receive them in the next 5 business days.

I don't have an update from the fabricator. I'm trying not to pester them as I know they are working as hard as they can to prep everything for shipping.

You are a great communicator, and quick to respond. You are awesome (a legend!) Thank you for all the work you do for us! :D just feeling glad you are a part of this community for the long hours, trials (personal life and in this project), your quite organized and alwaysopen when something comes(wether its a delay or an issue), you just keep preserving. Thank you for being an inspiration to me and the community!

TL;DR: thanks for everything, you're doing an awesome job! (Feeling positive and want to share the positivity) :D

wolverinelogan

Cable Smoosher
Sep 25, 2019

Phones take great videos nowadays, better than a lot of expensive recording devices. On a tripod, it should turn out great. No worries about it not being professionally done, it'll just be nice to have a step by step.

Cable management is my biggest fear, if you could include ideal cable lengths, or any tips for cable management in your video that would be greatly appreciated!

So excited for the case.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: Build video done. @wolverinelogan : Unfortunately, the prototype drive mount plate is wrong and was fixed for final production so I'm going to have to wait to make that video when I receive the final products.

Pre-Order Updates:
1. The shorter buttons are supposed to arrive Friday (June 5th)
2. The fabricator finally has all the parts ready to ship. I'm supposed to receive a quote for freight shipping today along with an estimated delivery date. We'll see what that ends up costing but it's going to be expensive because it's 3 pallets-worth of parts.
3. The Demciflex filters were supposedly just delivered today.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Can we get a pic of the painted chassis when they arrive?
Absolutely. I should have pictures up in the next 24 hours. FedEx attempted to deliver the new buttons today but for whatever reason, we didn't hear the doorbell so they will attempt to deliver tomorrow.

brenno263

Efficiency Noob
May 3, 2020
The parts have arrived! I have begun assembly of the pre-orders and am targeting shipping them out Wednesday earliest, Friday latest.

I really like the finish. I feel that between the interesting texture and a little lighter color, the case stands out from the standard, homogeneous 'black case' look.

I'm sure you all would agree, but I can't wait to get my hands on this thing. I got excited and did all my designing and part buying like a week ago, so I'm well prepared.

Reactions: grsychckn and Jerdz

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I discovered late last night that due to adjustments I made to the PCIe standoffs, a 1" tall 3.5" HDD will not fit underneath a GPU. I am going to include this in my next pre-order update e-mail tonight.

Good news though, the mainboard rear IO is not a problem and fits perfectly - even with the Intel Asus ITX board that has the built-in rear IO cover.

I have to cut, splice, solder, and heat shrink all the pre-order short front panel buttons tonight and pack up the accessory boxes. Then I can start packing each order for shipping tomorrow probably.

I stayed up until 2AM last night getting the pre-order chassis installed with all the included accessories. I'm very tired today but will push on to get these ready to ship ASAP.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I discovered late last night that due to adjustments I made to the PCIe standoffs, a 1" tall 3.5" HDD will not fit underneath a GPU. I am going to include this in my next pre-order update e-mail tonight.

Good news though, the mainboard rear IO is not a problem and fits perfectly - even with the Intel Asus ITX board that has the built-in rear IO cover.

I have to cut, splice, solder, and heat shrink all the pre-order short front panel buttons tonight and pack up the accessory boxes. Then I can start packing each order for shipping tomorrow probably.

I stayed up until 2AM last night getting the pre-order chassis installed with all the included accessories. I'm very tired today but will push on to get these ready to ship ASAP.

Thanks for your efforts! Much appreciated for the frequent updates as well!

wolverinelogan

Cable Smoosher
Sep 25, 2019

The final push! Thank you for all your hard work and countless hours going into this case, I can't wait to see it in person.