Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
That's excellent thank you.

Did you by any chance have any orders from the UK in your previous cases and if so, do you happen to know a rough estimate for how much shipping cost would be to the UK?
If you would PM/email me your address I will look up a quote from all my shippers. I need to figure out how to negotiate better deals and this would be an opportunity for me to do so. Regardless, I'm factoring in a $20 shipping cost to the lower 48 US states and that $20 will be deducted from the actual real-time shipping quotes that are generated on my website. I'm hoping that this will lessen the pain for international shipping costs.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Got the sample mat today. I'm thinking I'd like to make it just a little longer so that I can leave the middle blank but put my logo on the end (parallel to the front face). I might even get some horizontal mats made.

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
It's almost May! oh boy oh boy-- can't wait for the case. Have they started manufacturing the 100 cases?

Also-- were you able to move to your new house? I think I'll wait for the sidepanels and spacers before ordering/pre-ordering.

Reactions: grsychckn

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Those feet are really nice. I wish they were a little taller though. Is there enough room for a fan to breathe with it so close to the ground (assuming a fan is used in the bottom position)?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
It's almost May! oh boy oh boy-- can't wait for the case. Have they started manufacturing the 100 cases?

Also-- were you able to move to your new house? I think I'll wait for the sidepanels and spacers before ordering/pre-ordering.
I've not heard from them yet that they have started. Usually, they will start by squeezing in some small parts in between other orders and then save the complicated pieces for near the delivery date (which I also don't have yet). I'll ping them tomorrow and see if I can get an estimate.

As for the house, we finally got the permit last week so they are planning on breaking ground either this week or the next with an estimated delivery date in late August. If you wanted to purchase the case now and get the panels later, I'll waive the shipping fees so long as you are in the lower 48 states. If not, maybe we can work something else out. Contact me via e-mail (salvostudiosltd@gmail.com) to discuss further.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Those feet are really nice. I wish they were a little taller though. Is there enough room for a fan to breathe with it so close to the ground (assuming a fan is used in the bottom position)?

The feet raise up the chassis 0.5". These are the exact same feet that I used for the S401 - no changes at all.

Below are the proofs of the horizontal and vertical mats - I changed the logo location because it was blocked when underneath the S402. The background is also a bit darker.

mats-preview.jpg

brenno263

Efficiency Noob
May 3, 2020
Hello, I'm relatively new to PC building, and I'm planning a small form factor build later this summer. This case appeals to me for three main reasons:
1. It looks cool as heck.
2. It strikes a really nice balance (in my opinion) between size and compatibility.
3. Honestly, this thing is significantly more affordable than something big-brand with the same specs.

Anyways, I'll likely be saying hello on here in the future (I've already signed up for the newsletter and I'm eagerly awaiting the May release date).

However, I have one idea that, quite frankly, is a little dumb. But I'd like to share it nonetheless.

As I was shopping for coolers, I found that the Noctua NH-L9x65 was a great fit for my other parts, but it exceeds the 402's clearance by about 5mm.
I'm home from college for the summer (the ole 'rona has got us totally online,) and my dad has a bunch of metalworking tools, since he builds home theatre screens for a living.

I had the fun idea of potentially cutting out a section for the cooler to stick out 4 or 5mm.

Being a down-flow cooler, it could really benefit from the extra airflow, though I'll almost definitely have to stick a filter on it. I know that this compromises some of the 402's design choices, but since I technically CAN do it and it's FUN, I'd like to try to make it work instead of just buying a shorter cooler (the right decision, but not the fun one).

Here's a 2 minute mock-up I made in GIMP. Obviously the fan would not be bright red, but I'd likely repaint the Noctua brown to something grayscale.

The only real issue I can think of is that the protruding fan could directly torque the cpu socket. I don't plan on doing heavy traveling with the thing, but that's still something I've got to address. I can think of a few ways, but suggestions would be lovely as well.

If anyone can think of more reasons that this is silly, I'd love to hear them.

Also, @grsychckn, would it be possible to get my hands on an unpainted case, when are fully released?

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
Hello, I'm relatively new to PC building, and I'm planning a small form factor build later this summer. This case appeals to me for three main reasons:
2. It strikes a really nice balance (in my opinion) between size and compatibility.
3. Honestly, this thing is significantly more affordable than something big-brand with the same specs.

Anyways, I'll likely be saying hello on here in the future (I've already signed up for the newsletter and I'm eagerly awaiting the May release date).

However, I have one idea that, quite frankly, is a little dumb. But I'd like to share it nonetheless.

As I was shopping for coolers, I found that the Noctua NH-L9x65 was a great fit for my other parts, but it exceeds the 402's clearance by about 5mm.
I'm home from college for the summer (the ole 'rona has got us totally online,) and my dad has a bunch of metalworking tools, since he builds home theatre screens for a living.

I had the fun idea of potentially cutting out a section for the cooler to stick out 4 or 5mm.

S402 will have side panel spacers similar to S401; theyre meant to widen the case by elevating the side panel by a few mm (might be 5mm because S401 has 5mm spacers, exactly what you need!).

brenno263

Efficiency Noob
May 3, 2020
S402 will have side panel spacers similar to S401; theyre meant to widen the case by elevating the side panel by a few mm (might be 5mm because S401 has 5mm spacers, exactly what you need!).

Wow, that looks phenomenal, thanks.
I might end up hacking some temporary ones together until grysch gets his official, sexy ones out.

So far my only issue with the case is that it's too well designed for me to have a reason to chop it up or mod it :)

Reactions: grsychckn and Jerdz

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

Being a down-flow cooler, it could really benefit from the extra airflow, though I'll almost definitely have to stick a filter on it. I know that this compromises some of the 402's design choices, but since I technically CAN do it and it's FUN, I'd like to try to make it work instead of just buying a shorter cooler (the right decision, but not the fun one).

Here's a 2 minute mock-up I made in GIMP. Obviously the fan would not be bright red, but I'd likely repaint the Noctua brown to something grayscale.

The only real issue I can think of is that the protruding fan could directly torque the cpu socket. I don't plan on doing heavy traveling with the thing, but that's still something I've got to address. I can think of a few ways, but suggestions would be lovely as well.

Also, @grsychckn, would it be possible to get my hands on an unpainted case, when are fully released?
Honestly, not as "fun", but you could just add spacers with longer screws. (either acrylic full case spacers that @Jerdz mentioned, nylon spacers, or even just washers stacked until it clears your cooler)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

First off - welcome to your new expensive hobby! Next, @Jerdz and @Poblopuablo are correct in that I will be offering some side panel spacers at the end of the summer when I can finally use my laser cutter again. I'm currently in temporary housing and can't vent the fumes appropriately for the people around me so I have to wait until our new construction home is done being built and then I'll have free reign again to laser the heck out of stuff. In the meantime, I can provide you with some aluminum spacers to use that would increase the CPU cooler height by about 6mm free of charge. Just put a note when you go to checkout that you would like some aluminum spacers and I'll throw them in.

Next, sorry for the late reply. It seems SFF is not notifying me regarding replies like it used to. I was actually just coming to push an update out when I saw all the messages here.

Lastly, thanks for the kind words. I've been working very hard to try and get things ready from the moment I receive the shipment from the fabricator. There will need to be a lot of assembly and packing done, but I'm probably going to take a few days off work to get each one ready to ship.

Edit: I forgot to mention that all S402 units will be painted. I did not reserve a handful to be left unpainted this time. The only unit that is unpainted is the prototype as seen above. It has a few problems that I addressed before the final order was made. Not quite sure what to do with it but it could be used if the rear IO shield was left uninstalled.

Last edited:
Reactions: brenno263

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: I have been been very busy (as I stated above) getting things ready for the final push. You can see below that I have sorted, counted, and bagged each type of fastener into 8 boxes (separated by type and count). I have also disassembled the USB front panel adapters. I received the 70x70x15 pwm fans and will be shipping those un-installed. The PSU extension cables have been cut, stripped, crimped, soldered and heat shrunk (shrinked?).

S402_prep_1.jpg

I had switched my source for the front panel button but they cancelled my order and didn't even tell me. I just realized this a few days ago so fortunately I was able to go to my old reliable source and get them with a delivery before the fabricator expects to ship the chassis to me. Unfortunately, I had to pay double for each button.

I have received several e-mails asking to pre-order an S402. I don't normally do pre-orders because if something goes sideways with the fabricator or some other component that I couldn't foresee, I don't need (or want) the additional pressure to fix anything or make dozens of people disappointed. It's hard enough to get over 100 of these things designed, built, and ready to ship - much less manage to meet a deadline.

That said, I'm going to try opening up for pre-orders sometime around May 13th. This is one week before the fabricator is supposed to ship the chassis to me (May 20th). Let me be clear though: I will not have the chassis on the 20th and when I finally do I still have to test fit, assemble, and package each unit before they can be shipped. This means shipping will most likely occur the last week of May. Of course, I'll know more the closer we get to me receiving the chassis from the fabricator.

Let's hope things keep moving along and that I didn't screw up something on the final design paperwork that would require any new parts.

BTW, it might not look like much, but that's nearly $2700 worth of gear for just the USB cables, PSU cables, fans, and fasteners.

brenno263

Efficiency Noob
May 3, 2020
First off - welcome to your new expensive hobby! Next, @Jerdz and @Poblopuablo are correct in that I will be offering some side panel spacers at the end of the summer when I can finally use my laser cutter again. I'm currently in temporary housing and can't vent the fumes appropriately for the people around me so I have to wait until our new construction home is done being built and then I'll have free reign again to laser the heck out of stuff. In the meantime, I can provide you with some aluminum spacers to use that would increase the CPU cooler height by about 6mm free of charge. Just put a note when you go to checkout that you would like some aluminum spacers and I'll throw them in.

Next, sorry for the late reply. It seems SFF is not notifying me regarding replies like it used to. I was actually just coming to push an update out when I saw all the messages here.

Lastly, thanks for the kind words. I've been working very hard to try and get things ready from the moment I receive the shipment from the fabricator. There will need to be a lot of assembly and packing done, but I'm probably going to take a few days off work to get each one ready to ship.

Edit: I forgot to mention that all S402 units will be painted. I did not reserve a handful to be left unpainted this time. The only unit that is unpainted is the prototype as seen above. It has a few problems that I addressed before the final order was made. Not quite sure what to do with it but it could be used if the rear IO shield was left uninstalled.

While there is admittedly a pretty high cool-factor to using the prototype, I think I'll get a finished model and do some painting myself. I have an artist friend who's itching to try his hand at this kind of thing.

Thanks a lot, though. It's really refreshing to be able to talk to the manufacturer and designer.
I'll pre-order for sure as soon as I can, and for real, take your time. It's crazy to me that one guy is doing all this.

vvv

Trash Compacter
Nov 1, 2018
At first I was wondering what benefit having 3 slots would have, but the thought of running a RAID controller w/ a 2 slot GPU is very tempting...

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
At first I was wondering what benefit having 3 slots would have, but the thought of running a RAID controller w/ a 2 slot GPU is very tempting...

The majority of graphics card manufacturers have now moved to 2.75-3 slot cards for their flagship products (and even midrange cards are now getting thicker). 3 slot support is now almost a requirement if you want to install higher end GPUs in your system.

eightySix

Cable Smoosher
Apr 26, 2020
Possibility of shipping to New Zealand in the current climate?

Hate being so far away from the rest of the world who get amazing small production cases like these :(

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Possibility of shipping to New Zealand in the current climate?

Hate being so far away from the rest of the world who get amazing small production cases like these :(

I'm going to focus on shipping quotes starting tomorrow. If prices are similar to the S401, it's going to be expensive. I am shipping to the lowe 48 US states for free and subtracting $20 from international shipping rates that I have to pay. The S401 cost around $100 to ship most international locations so I'm guessing it will be around $80 to ship to NZ, but I should have some more accurate numbers in the coming days.