Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
There was a thread around here somewhere where I had asked about those and got some answers, will find it and link it here.

EDIT: Here you are, Necre linked some stuff: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/regarding-tooless-panels.8804/

Thanks, I actually browsed on the PEM website and found those so maybe I'll try to incorporate them on the S600 but KSliger makes a good point that their depth makes it hard to countersink the receiver for the panels to align correctly. I think would have to redesign the S402 at this stage for those to be used, but I'll try to take a look at the design this weekend to see if something can easily be adapted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks, I actually browsed on the PEM website and found those so maybe I'll try to incorporate them on the S600 but KSliger makes a good point that their depth makes it hard to countersink the receiver for the panels to align correctly. I think would have to redesign the S402 at this stage for those to be used, but I'll try to take a look at the design this weekend to see if something can easily be adapted.

Be sure to make the panels rigid, removing the Cerberus's panels downright scares me, the sheet metal feels too weak for the force required to move the side panel.

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Be sure to make the panels rigid, removing the Cerberus's panels downright scares me, the sheet metal feels too weak for the force required to move the side panel.

Pro tip: next time you have the panel off, take a rod that’s SLIGHTLY thicker than fastener head (like a thick Phillip’s head screwdriver) and stretch the retaining clip just a bit. Should make it a bit easier to attach/remove. Naturally, don’t do it too much or the panels will be loose.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Pro tip: next time you have the panel off, take a rod that’s SLIGHTLY thicker than fastener head (like a thick Phillip’s head screwdriver) and stretch the retaining clip just a bit. Should make it a bit easier to attach/remove. Naturally, don’t do it too much or the panels will be loose.

Thanks, that might help.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Looks like Sliger has entered the console-style SFF case business with the introduction of the CONSOLE and CONSWOLE cases. With their pricing and feature set, it appears the S402 will not have a very distinct place in the market anymore. While some may view this as a bad thing, it's absolutely fantastic that a larger manufacturer is able to lower the prices and increase availability of these cases. This was my goal but at my low volumes, I cannot compete with their CONSOLE case at $150. I'm not sure I can even compete with the CONSWOLE at $199. Fortunately, I'm in a good position because of my delays since I haven't committed to any manufacturing I might be able to stay on the sideline should I choose to do so. The real factor in my decision is going to be seeing their prototype for the CONSWOLE as it would be a direct competitor for the S402 and I no longer sell the S401 (CONSOLE). Their target date for availability is before black Friday which I cannot match either so their units will be on the market first.

All that said, I think the S402 will have enough distinct features that I'm still moving down the path of having one run made. Most likely though, I will not make more than one set as I don't expect them to sell well with competition coming from such a large player. Should I decide to cancel the production of the S402, I'll post here first, but that will allow me to focus on other projects like the S600.

Finally, my plan now is to finish the drawings and models of the S402 to submit one last time to the fabricators and see what they come back with. I may have to contract a minimum of 50 units to have the prototype made so it won't be cheap on my wallet, but until they (Sliger) post pictures of the CONSWOLE, I'm moving forward as if they aren't producing a product.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Looks like Sliger has entered the console-style SFF case business with the introduction of the CONSOLE and CONSWOLE cases. With their pricing and feature set, it appears the S402 will not have a very distinct place in the market anymore. While some may view this as a bad thing, it's absolutely fantastic that a larger manufacturer is able to lower the prices and increase availability of these cases. This was my goal but at my low volumes, I cannot compete with their CONSOLE case at $150. I'm not sure I can even compete with the CONSWOLE at $199. Fortunately, I'm in a good position because of my delays since I haven't committed to any manufacturing I might be able to stay on the sideline should I choose to do so. The real factor in my decision is going to be seeing their prototype for the CONSWOLE as it would be a direct competitor for the S402 and I no longer sell the S401 (CONSOLE). Their target date for availability is before black Friday which I cannot match either so their units will be on the market first.

All that said, I think the S402 will have enough distinct features that I'm still moving down the path of having one run made. Most likely though, I will not make more than one set as I don't expect them to sell well with competition coming from such a large player. Should I decide to cancel the production of the S402, I'll post here first, but that will allow me to focus on other projects like the S600.

Finally, my plan now is to finish the drawings and models of the S402 to submit one last time to the fabricators and see what they come back with. I may have to contract a minimum of 50 units to have the prototype made so it won't be cheap on my wallet, but until they (Sliger) post pictures of the CONSWOLE, I'm moving forward as if they aren't producing a product.

When I saw that thread, I was scared of this.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
@tifaff I guess I don't know what you mean by "front/back" panel. Do you mean the large panels(I'd call those side panels, since the front would be where the button is and the back is where the I/o is)

tifaff

Average Stuffer
May 8, 2019
Node 202 I think doesn't. Otherwise most do. The s400 had one side that was screw-less, but it is discontinued.
hey can i make you a dumb question... do you know how much cm do i need between the wire of the psu and the pcie slot from de gpu (this is for custom cables purposes)

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
hey can i make you a dumb question... do you know how much cm do i need between the wire of the psu and the pcie slot from de gpu (this is for custom cables purposes)
In the s401, I bought 100mm cables. However you could probably get by with 85-90mm cables. I do not know if the upcoming s402 will be the exact same, but I imagine it will be close.

Reactions: Jerdz and Piewalker

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
In the s401, I bought 100mm cables. However you could probably get by with 85-90mm cables. I do not know if the upcoming s402 will be the exact same, but I imagine it will be close.
Sorry for the lack of responses. We have a contract on our house and the ball is rolling now to find temporary housing until we can move into the new house.

I would recomment 120mm GPU power cables for the S402. I'm currently trying to source some for the Corsair SF-series PSUs that I can offer as an add-on for a few dollars more. The S402 will be a little farther removed from the GPU so they should be longer than on the S401. If you use an SFX-L PSU, you might be able to get away with 100mm cables. Until I have the prototype in hand I can't guarantee anything at this point.

The updated model and new drawings are nearly complete for me to submit to the fabricators. Once I do, this time I'm moving forward with the prototype and a run of at least 50 units. I'm probably going to choose to paint all of them black to keep it simple.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Sorry for the lack of responses. We have a contract on our house and the ball is rolling now to find temporary housing until we can move into the new house.

I would recomment 120mm GPU power cables for the S402. I'm currently trying to source some for the Corsair SF-series PSUs that I can offer as an add-on for a few dollars more. The S402 will be a little farther removed from the GPU so they should be longer than on the S401. If you use an SFX-L PSU, you might be able to get away with 100mm cables. Until I have the prototype in hand I can't guarantee anything at this point.

The updated model and new drawings are nearly complete for me to submit to the fabricators. Once I do, this time I'm moving forward with the prototype and a run of at least 50 units. I'm probably going to choose to paint all of them black to keep it simple.
Also to keep in mind, shorter itx gpus would require longer cables (primarily thinking of someone is planning to do a 120mm aio below the psu/next to small GPU). My GPU is essentially reference size (280mm). However, some GPU pin locations are different. As pictured my 401's 100mm cable were too long so I twisted them to make them fit.

I feel 120mm would be a good safe bet for most gpu's between 270-300mm in length(with similar design/layout to a reference pcb). But, possibly longer if your GPU is shorter(depending on specific pin location on your GPU.) This won't always be correct however. For example the reference rtx 2060(220mm long card) has a VERY odd power pin location (located on the opposite side of the I/o) compared to other ~220mm card. thus requiring a different length cable. So please keep in mind that each card *may* require a different length cable, due to pcie pin location. :)

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Finally submitted files for final quotes from the fabricators. Other than a few minor double-checks, I'm ready to submit the design for the first prototype. Here are some updated renders:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
So it looks like it will support full 25mm 60mm thick fans at the top, in addition to a single fan at the bottom. Will the bottom fan location support a thick one also, or only a slim one? (Hope that makes sense) :)

Edit: also what is this plate for? It looks like it's part of the PSU mounting bracket (new design over 401) but what's the reason for it sticking so far down past the PSU?

Last edited:
Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
So it looks like it will support full 25mm 60mm thick fans at the top, in addition to a single fan at the bottom. Will the bottom fan location support a thick one also, or only a slim one? (Hope that makes sense) :)

Edit: also what is this plate for? It looks like it's part of the PSU mounting bracket (new design over 401) but what's the reason for it sticking so far down past the PSU?

That plate is there to mount the PSU and underneath it I have 2 x 2.5" x 7mm (slim) mounts. That means if you use a 2-slot GPU you can fit up to 5 x 2.5" drives into the S402 (2 of those being slim 7mm). You'll need these mounts if you want any 2.5" drives as the other mounts are unusable with 3-slot GPUs.

Reactions: Piewalker and HZCH