Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Lovely design! Wish you success. It seem like the trend of longer, thicker and taller card wont stop so not only supporting 3 slot GPU a unique feature, it will also be a major selling point.

Reactions: grsychckn

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
If you're even amenable to tweaking the design still, I think MeanWell compatibility could help out with overall use of space.

I don't have time to write them out now but let me conceptualize them a bit more thoroughly, and if you're open to that, I can share in a bit.

Cheers!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Nevermind, I just made the calculation, an (m)ATX Mobo + FlexATX PSU would be 325.5mm wide. Probably won't fit
HDPlex/Meanwell might work. Also, depending on the mainboard RAM/connector locations, the FlexATX might still work if it can fit above the mainboard. I would doubt that can be a supported feature for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Jerdz

gowkaizer

What's an ITX?
Aug 25, 2019
The S402 could definitely be a viable mATX case if there's enough clearnce for an SFX power supply with mATX or if the power supply can be mounted in the GPU half. Ideally somehow get a brickless <10l Threadripper.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
The S402 could definitely be a viable mATX case if there's enough clearnce for an SFX power supply with mATX or if the power supply can be mounted in the GPU half. Ideally somehow get a brickless <10l Threadripper.
I would love to be able to support this but as I considered it during the design phase I realized it would dramatically increase the volume of the chassis if I kept SFX and 2-slot+ GPU support. I will consider tinkering with this idea on perhaps Revision 2 of the S402. I need to freeze development if I want to get it to market before the end of the year - especially now that I'm trying to find a new fabricator to help bring down prices.

Reactions: Jerdz and gowkaizer

thekatrin

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2019
I'd put my vote towards:

1. slots
2. making a single, vertically oriented USBC center aligned and directly below the middle button sounds good to me. goes in well with the roundish slot aesthetic too. i can understand the decision not to do so, its just a nice thing to have in lan parties and travel. it could maybe reduce the cost of the case by removing the two current usbs and allowing the fab companies to pelt it out, unsure.
3. yeah sounds potentially worth it, or make the aio area larger, maybe support larger psus or motherboards? dtx could be hypothetically useful to me (a programmer with twig arms and a wandering tendency) with a 2 slot gpu and a pci-express x4 or x8 ssd. a pcie ssd is quite useful for memory heavy tasks like AI, which i do a lot of. basically, this is another thing people tend to not think about, making the third slot more available to non-gpu stuff
4. big yes, it doesnt seem to be a thing with console cases and itd really set you apart. heavy hitting sff cpu coolers like the black ridge would be good to support from the get go.
5. with 3 slot gpus, youre going to need a juicy cpu to keep it going. id say yes on cpu height extension.

This project has really piqued my interest, I'm going to avoid purchasing the dancase or sm560 until more updates from you come out. That is, as long as my junker EAtx build can last.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I'd put my vote towards:

1. slots
2. making a single, vertically oriented USBC center aligned and directly below the middle button sounds good to me. goes in well with the roundish slot aesthetic too. i can understand the decision not to do so, its just a nice thing to have in lan parties and travel. it could maybe reduce the cost of the case by removing the two current usbs and allowing the fab companies to pelt it out, unsure.
3. yeah sounds potentially worth it, or make the aio area larger, maybe support larger psus or motherboards? dtx could be hypothetically useful to me (a programmer with twig arms and a wandering tendency) with a 2 slot gpu and a pci-express x4 or x8 ssd. a pcie ssd is quite useful for memory heavy tasks like AI, which i do a lot of. basically, this is another thing people tend to not think about, making the third slot more available to non-gpu stuff
4. big yes, it doesnt seem to be a thing with console cases and itd really set you apart. heavy hitting sff cpu coolers like the black ridge would be good to support from the get go.
5. with 3 slot gpus, youre going to need a juicy cpu to keep it going. id say yes on cpu height extension.

This project has really piqued my interest, I'm going to avoid purchasing the dancase or sm560 until more updates from you come out. That is, as long as my junker EAtx build can last.

I actually love this idea, especially because of the aesthetic it would give. The only problems I see are the lack of Type A on the front (which I don't think should be an issue for most as due to the size it's pretty easy to access the rear IO if you need Type A) and potential interference with the GPU. If I were to include a single Type C on the front and orient it as you described, it might have to be located between the PSU and the front button to avoid further limiting the supported length on super-wide GPUs. I'll look at some specs on the largest GPUs out there and refresh my memory on what restrictions there are.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: I'm drawing up the purchase order today to submit to a new fabricator. Their current backlog is around 3-4 weeks so once submitted it should only be about a month before the prototype is available to me.

The prototype will be painted "fine texture gray" to further give the S402 prototype a bit of a different look. I don't have a good picture yet so below is a picture of the sample on the supplier's website. Let me know what you think. I bought a pound of the powder and hope to find something to paint so I can look at it before I get the prototype made. If I don't like the sample I paint, the prototype (and thus the production run) will all be the standard fine texture black color the same as the S401. If I do like it, I'll take a higher-res picture and post here for feedback.

Note: Looks like my webhost is having problems - check back again if you can't see the above image.

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Update: I'm drawing up the purchase order today to submit to a new fabricator. Their current backlog is around 3-4 weeks so once submitted it should only be about a month before the prototype is available to me.

The prototype will be painted "fine texture gray" to further give the S402 prototype a bit of a different look. I don't have a good picture yet so below is a picture of the sample on the supplier's website. Let me know what you think. I bought a pound of the powder and hope to find something to paint so I can look at it before I get the prototype made. If I don't like the sample I paint, the prototype (and thus the production run) will all be the standard fine texture black color the same as the S401. If I do like it, I'll take a higher-res picture and post here for feedback.

Note: Looks like my webhost is having problems - check back again if you can't see the above image.

Exciting news! :)

Image is showing on mobile. :)

thekatrin

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2019
I actually love this idea, especially because of the aesthetic it would give. The only problems I see are the lack of Type A on the front (which I don't think should be an issue for most as due to the size it's pretty easy to access the rear IO if you need Type A) and potential interference with the GPU. If I were to include a single Type C on the front and orient it as you described, it might have to be located between the PSU and the front button to avoid further limiting the supported length on super-wide GPUs. I'll look at some specs on the largest GPUs out there and refresh my memory on what restrictions there are.

yeah im unsure if its worth it if it limits components, just a thought :)

thekatrin

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2019

I prefer lighter colors personally because they help reduce smudging by fingerprints. I don't know what colors are alternatives, but I'd definitely buy it regardless of color. maybe white?

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I prefer lighter colors personally because they help reduce smudging by fingerprints. I don't know what colors are alternatives, but I'd definitely buy it regardless of color. maybe white?
I might consider white but it is a bit more expensive because impurities in the powder or on the surface can cause a discoloration in the paint. I looked at the gray color I chose and really like it but didn't have time to paint a sample this weekend. I'm hoping I'll have some time this week to paint a sample and post a picture here.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: After choosing to pursue a new fabricator, I found out that they didn't pay attention to my drawings and failed to price in the PEM fasteners and rivets. Once they updated their quote the per unit cost for just the metalwork was over $200/unit. Back to the drawing board for finding a new fabricator. Alternatively, I may have to alter the design drastically to reduce my costs as the PEMs, rivets, and powder coat additions added over $100/unit in cost.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Update: After choosing to pursue a new fabricator, I found out that they didn't pay attention to my drawings and failed to price in the PEM fasteners and rivets. Once they updated their quote the per unit cost for just the metalwork was over $200/unit. Back to the drawing board for finding a new fabricator. Alternatively, I may have to alter the design drastically to reduce my costs as the PEMs, rivets, and powder coat additions added over $100/unit in cost.

Probably for the best, last thing you want is to start production and find that your fabricator failed to meticulously understand the drawings leading to further costly QA issues.

MORDOCtheGREAT

Cable Smoosher
Jul 22, 2019
Such a roller coaster of emotions. Yeah I also would go for a lighter color like white as well but will still get it regardless. I think if you keep it a light gray someone wouldn't have too much of a problem doing a rattle can spray job over it.?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Question: Do you think white would be as popular as the black? I could possibly order a certain number of units painted one color and the rest in black for a nominal fee.

Of course, I still want to see the gray because I think the right color gray would look fantastic with acrylic panels.

Reactions: troybot

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Sorry for the spam but I have decided to contract out some engineering help in analyzing the S402 design and in interfacing with various fabricators to help get me the best price and quality - not to mention some critical feedback on the design itself. I expect this work to begin this week and be completed by next week. That *should* mean that by the end of next week I'll be much closer to having a finished, quality prototype than fumbling through it with random fabricators. Being self-taught in Solidworks, I'm looking forward to learning some new processes that will help me in the future.