Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Would you say they are priced reasonable compared to protocase/other fabs?

Yes, their price is MUCH better than protocase. Protocase wants about 8 times the price. A lot of that has to do with the volume order of 100 units though. If you were only having one made, I would recommend spending the extra money on Protocase as the process will be super easy to go from design to finished product. If you employ a standard fab shop, you'll have to interact with them on bend allowances/K-factors/bend deductions, etc. as well as what limitations they have for fasteners.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I wish you the absolute best mate! I advise that you to update the OP with... well, all the details, as it is missing a lot. I am personally lost as to what is the finalised design, specs and expected price. I haven't followed this thread for a long while by now.
Thank you, I will update the OP this evening. I know I've needed to do so and was hoping to wait until the prototype comes back because then I'll have photographs of something very near the real product. Regardless, that doesn't change the specs so I will at least address some of that tonight.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yes, their price is MUCH better than protocase. Protocase wants about 8 times the price. A lot of that has to do with the volume order of 100 units though. If you were only having one made, I would recommend spending the extra money on Protocase as the process will be super easy to go from design to finished product. If you employ a standard fab shop, you'll have to interact with them on bend allowances/K-factors/bend deductions, etc. as well as what limitations they have for fasteners.

I've used protocase a few times now, but was just curious. Thanks so much for the response!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Glad to see you have not given up on this, it's a good design and I do not mean to rain on your parade. If anyone asks for something my cases don't support but yours do I will point them your way. =]
Thank you sir - I'll do the same for you. The best part about options is choice and I've loved your designs so please make as many as possible so this community can grow!

Reactions: Sahaj

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Thank you, I will update the OP this evening. I know I've needed to do so and was hoping to wait until the prototype comes back because then I'll have photographs of something very near the real product. Regardless, that doesn't change the specs so I will at least address some of that tonight.
I haven't had time to update the OP, I'll try to work on it tonight but I have many calls to make and lots of scheduling to do with the closing date of my house coming up soon. I've got to move into a short-term lease townhouse within a few days of closing and today I'm going to spend working with contractors to resolve some underwriting issues with the buyers. The remaining time I have today will be spent calling around all the various utility companies so that we have power/internet/water/garbage taken care of when we move.

Rjk1617

Trash Compacter
Jul 19, 2018

Steel is real! Received my S401 early last week and it's rock solid. Was drawn to the line of Salvo cases initially because of the console layout and steel construction in the world of aluminum cases.

The giveaway came with a surprise, thanks to the generosity of @grsychckn !! The build came as is, so it was a hell of a surprise when I opened it up.

Just want to thank the man himself and bump his other projects, because these cases are made with love. It's clean as hell!

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
I haven't had time to update the OP, I'll try to work on it tonight but I have many calls to make and lots of scheduling to do with the closing date of my house coming up soon. I've got to move into a short-term lease townhouse within a few days of closing and today I'm going to spend working with contractors to resolve some underwriting issues with the buyers. The remaining time I have today will be spent calling around all the various utility companies so that we have power/internet/water/garbage taken care of when we move.
Please tend to your personal life first and we can wait. Take care, man! =)

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I just had a crazy thought, if you were to watercool the GPU and thus only need to take up one PCIe slot, there looks to be enough room at the GPU area to put a slim radiator and 15mm fan (XPSC TX series radiator + Noctua A12x15 fans will only take up 36mm thick and allow plenty of clearance for the fans to breathe)

If only the case was long enough to fit a 360mm rad lengthwise (its only juuuust too short ?)

Reactions: grsychckn

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I just had a crazy thought, if you were to watercool the GPU and thus only need to take up one PCIe slot, there looks to be enough room at the GPU area to put a slim radiator and 15mm fan (XPSC TX series radiator + Noctua A12x15 fans will only take up 36mm thick and allow plenty of clearance for the fans to breathe)

If only the case was long enough to fit a 360mm rad lengthwise (its only juuuust too short ?)
Wouldn't the fittings for the GPU conflict with the radiator/fans?

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Wouldn't the fittings for the GPU conflict with the radiator/fans?

Not if you know which terminal block to use

DSmithBYU

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
grsy, correct me if I'm wrong: is it possible that I can install a 3.5" HDD under the GPU so long as said GPU's a typical 2-slot?

I really like the chassis. Excellent job as always.

Reactions: Poblopuablo

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
grsy, correct me if I'm wrong: is it possible that I can install a 3.5" HDD under the GPU so long as said GPU's a typical 2-slot?

I really like the chassis. Excellent job as always.

Yes, I've designed it to allow for 2 x 3.5" drives to be installed underneath a standard 2-slot card.

Reactions: DSmithBYU

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Excellence!!!

Will it be possible to add extra screw holes (sorry) for certain HDDs like the Hitachi 8TB?

Yes, I have added two additional holes for these drives. Sorry for the short message but in the middle of moving.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update, I will visit the new fabrication shop Monday and hand-deliver the check to pay for the first 100 units. They also had a few suggestions which I think are good like spot welding the corners rather than using rivets. The rivets are nice because they can be replaced but the spot welds should help keep the profile simple and neat. I may even discuss with them a few ideas using the spot welding that might make the edges even cleaner.

BTW, anyone with a good promotional idea please share. Especially if you don't mind sharing contacts. I've had dealings with Steve at Gamers Nexus and AdoredTV, but not much beyond that. Can't seem to get responses from anyone if I contact them directly.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Update, I will visit the new fabrication shop Monday and hand-deliver the check to pay for the first 100 units. They also had a few suggestions which I think are good like spot welding the corners rather than using rivets. The rivets are nice because they can be replaced but the spot welds should help keep the profile simple and neat. I may even discuss with them a few ideas using the spot welding that might make the edges even cleaner.

BTW, anyone with a good promotional idea please share. Especially if you don't mind sharing contacts. I've had dealings with Steve at Gamers Nexus and AdoredTV, but not much beyond that. Can't seem to get responses from anyone if I contact them directly.
I would think optimum tech in YouTube and tekeverything on YouTube are good sources especially for the ITX space. Unfortunately I don't know how to contact them (I know Tek everything has a website: https://tekeverything.com/)

Reactions: grsychckn and Sahaj