S4 Mini Build Custom Paint Job

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
I'll be posting photo soon but you can get the jist of it based on the main S4 mini thread where I've posted most photos recently but anyways. I bought a used S4 mini and USPS decided to sit on it or something causing it to get bend on the wrap around side panel. I got the dents/bend out but was left with chips in the paint. I was just gonna use a flat paint to hide this but that wasn't enough for me. I'm a little OCD and being a welder and a machinist in the Army metal working isn't a stranger to me, so I decided to take advantage of the situation and repaint it. I was surprised how easy the paint slew off from a quick soak in acetone. Would have been nice to know this hours before after rigorously sanding the one side on each panel till hitting muscle failure. Simple enough after about 10 minutes of soaking the paint lifted right off like nothing with a little coaxing via a putty knife. I was left with a brand new panel and was ready for a new fresh coat of paint. I used a Krylon dual paint. I've had awesome luck with Krylon. Even though some people don't like it, I love it. Given proper time to dry krylon is super scratch resistant and flexible. I've used it on most case mods and even my firearms. Anyways, I'm excited to be doing such a small build I've built every form factor and every type of liquid cooling rig so I'm excited to be building in something smaller than the Xbox One. I'll be doing daily and weekly updates on my build. Thanks to everyone who has been so helpful! Special shout out to Joshua Sniffen at NFC and DocH on here for their awesome customer service and support. Thanks. INB4 TL;DR

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I used a Krylon dual paint. I've had awesome luck with Krylon.

I was about ready to recommend Krylon myself before I got this far down. That stuff is nearly scratch resistant (far more resistant than Rustoleum) and it applies extremely well to bare metal. I know a lot of the military folks use it to respray their scuffed firearms as the matte black Krylon is a near perfect match and holds up pretty well to abuse.

I look forward to the build out.

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
I wasnt happy with the way the paint job turned out. Due to the way the paint expands to create a crinkle affect, caused the vent holes to be messy. The paint started sticking out everywhere. My next paint I'll try will be VHT wrinkle. This paint actually has to be baked after drying so we'll see how that goes.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
Finished stripping the paint...Again.
My wife thinks I should leave it bare. But I do have VHT wrinkle paint. Decisions decisions.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
Last photo for reference if anyone is interested in doing their own paint job. It also comes in gray, blue, and red.

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 14, 2017
Welp finally got the paint job done. I have a local powder coating shop and had my case painted for 35.00 Now ive started shopping components debating buying the lp53 cpu cooler. Not sure though due to memory clearance issues.

Test Kit

Cable Smoosher
Oct 13, 2017
Welp finally got the paint job done. I have a local powder coating shop and had my case painted for 35.00 Now ive started shopping components debating buying the lp53 cpu cooler. Not sure though due to memory clearance issues.

If you do end up buying a LP53 cooler and putting the Noctua fan on it, please post some temperature benchmarks

Reactions: CubanLegend

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
wow $35 for a powercoat not bad at all. the case has gone full circle now. why did you change your mind?

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Do it! Which CPU? Delid it! Go for maximum lowest temps!
If you do end up buying a LP53 cooler and putting the Noctua fan on it, please post some temperature benchmarks
By the way I have temps for you in my build thread, check my sig, I compared the NHL9i with the LP53 (both with the Noctua fan on it). :D