Numb's Skyreach S4 Mini

NUMB

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
So after some setbacks on another project that I was working on I've decided to use the NFC Skyreach S4 Mini for my desktop computer system. It will be a pretty standard build with nothing too outrageous being done.

The parts:

• NFC Skyreach S4 Mini
  • Ryzen 2600
  • Noctua NH-L9a
  • Asus Strix B450-I
  • 16GB GSkill Sniper X 3600Mhz
  • Zotac GTX 1060 Mini Amp Edition
  • 500GB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe
  • HD Plex 400W DC-DC
  • Delta 400W AC-DC
Case received from SFFLab, the shipping was quite quick to Australia.

I ordered a switch and a walnut bezel from NFC to finish off the exterior of the case. The work that Josh has done on the bezel is just flawless and it fits perfectly onto the front of the Skyreach S4M.

To tidy up some of the cabling i shorted the CPU fan cable so it wan't necessarily long.

The first major piece of work is to tackle the graphics card. It's a nice card but I have two issues with the back plate, the colour, and how it extends around to heatsink fins.

The back plate was removed to trim the excess off the end.

After a short cut and rounding off the corners it's already looking better but there is one more thing left to do.

Painting it wrinkle black

Putting it back together along with some Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste to replace what was there from the factory.

And now it's installed into the Skyreach S4M along with the CPU, motherboard, and memory.

NUMB

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Next up was to finish up the power supply. The plan was to make a case for the Delta 400w with mesh at each end to allow for airflow.

Started off by cutting and bend up a top and bottom cover. The top cover is 1.5mm aluminium and has holes drilled into it to mount to the side mounts on the delta 400w power supply and in the top to secure the mesh.

Rivnuts were put into the top of the mesh piece so that it can be secured to the top cover

Holes for the aviation connectors and the C14 plug were made. The 3 pin connector is there as a placeholder so that it can be used for external fan control in the future.

The top cover and mesh were then painted in wrinkle black and the connectors had 14 awg wires soldered onto them and crimped with ring terminals at the power supply end.

A noctua 40mm fan has been added for cooling. This won't provide the full amount of airflow (only 60-70%) to run the power supply at 400w but my system only has a Ryzen 2600 and a 1060 so it won't be drawing anywhere near that amount. This can be turned on/off from a switch at the front for now but may be controlled from the motherboard via the 3 pin connector in the future.

Then it was onto final assembly

The HDPlex 400w went into the case to power everything. The cables haven't been shortened yet but that is on the cards for the future.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Awesome build. Not many are brave to mod an AC-DC power supply, so I salute you!!