MODZERO JUICE - NFC SYSTEMS S4 MINI #80

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Hey mate. Loving what you're doing with your case! This might be a dumb question but what screws/bolts are you using for securing the Noctua fan? would you mind sharing a link or model number so we could purchase them? Im looking to do a build similar to this but Im missing those darn screws

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com
Hey mate. Loving what you're doing with your case! This might be a dumb question but what screws/bolts are you using for securing the Noctua fan? would you mind sharing a link or model number so we could purchase them? Im looking to do a build similar to this but Im missing those darn screws

Sorry I missed this chap, Those are just regular 5mm M3 button head bolts (doubt check they are M3). I have a bunch left from various Parvum builds. How did you get on?

J.

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com

UPDATE 5.0

Nothing too exciting folks, life has been hectic but I wanted to touch base and share the little news I've got. With Insomnia 60 (LAN) just a couple weeks away it seems I'm not going to finish this build in time. Which is disappointing but fine. I'm not letting anyone down, it's not a show piece and it'll still be coming with me.

I'm still to send the side panels down to B NEG for some CNC love and until I do that I can't finalize dimensions for the glass. But it's all in hand and we'll get there.

So what have I gotten done.

Ricardo over at COLDZERO (check em out if you've not already) hooked me up with the backplate mock up (top left, above). Which I'm pretty much happy with. Think I'll drop the NFC logo from the backplate and put it elsewhere. Maybe add a little 'sponsored by' or 'powered by' to proceed the E22 and GIGABYTE logos.

You can also see, I've pretty much finished the bracket design. The original was intended to be ALU (and it may go back to being so if this doesn't work out) but I had a thought, why not have it match the backplate. So I reworked the design and sent it over to Ricardo.

All being well it'll have the same design vents as the backplate running along that chassis mount side (to help clear the air kicked up from the CPU heatsink and should fit just about flush with the GPU. Fingers crossed those two bits will be with me before LAN.

In other news, we've finalized the design for MODZERO JABBA (the next project), that'll be coming this summer. Can't wait to show you guys!

This weekend I hope to remake my cables, so I'll report back then. :thumb:

J.​

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com

UPDATE 6.0

Multiplay Insomnia Gaming Festival 60 is but days away! JUICE was always earmarked for competition in time for this event. It is after all, primarily my new LAN rig. That wasn't to be, with a number of speed bumps along the way, sadly JUICE won't be finished in time for LAN. But it will be coming..

Oh yes, I present, MODZERO JUICE STAGE 1.0...

or at least I will present it a little further down... sorry.

JUICE is running off a single 960 PRO 256gb NVMe drive, I'd not intended to add anymore storage. But will all my games installed on two 250gb SATA SSDs in my main rig and LAN being so soon, I thought about how best to make use of those SATA SSDs.

So I bought one of these..

I thought, I'd pull the two drives from my other rig, label them and hot-swap between the drives as and when. But, I had visions of losing a drive or disconnecting it when in game. So I went a different route.

The NFC S4 MINI can mount two 2.5" drives in front/behind the GPU. Yet I'd previously written this mounting option off for three reasons.

1. Knowing I was putting a toasty GPU in there I'd always thought the SSDs would get cooked
  2. The HDPLEX molex/sata power connection on the PSU was tucked in tight at the back of the chassis partially under the motherboard.
  3. I'd not seen anyone else fit the drives and do a cracking job of the power/sata cable routing.

Challenge accepted.. :rock:

Firstly I took my two drives (two different drives) and covered the backside in matt black vinyl. Mounted them on the cage then proceeded 'to throw all the toys out the pram' when I couldn't find the two last screws... (They were holding my power connection in place... why I used two of the screws for this job I've no idea...)

It was almost a none starter.. not only is it tight, but the cables actually foul the clear CMOS pins on the board. I'd had to be sure the wires ran between the pins... the whole build would have to be dismantled to sort that, had it been the case.

With a sizable gap between the CPU cooler and the PCI riser (where my Matrix orb will be fitted) I planned to run the SATA power cables directly down to the PCB and across to the PSU.

I'm not a huge fan of heatshrink cables and SATA (at least this choice of connector) is level leet when attempting the heatshrinkless approach, alas I'm not pOpe so I rolled with it (I'm already planning to redo it when I move on to Stage 2).

Not a flattering angle, but you get the idea. I'd just been training the bends and had sagged the sleeve. :rolleyes:

With it fitted to the SSDs, now came the PITA. I'm not all too confident with soldering, but how else am I going to get any better. With the harness in place and the PSU in there too, I had a lot of already short cables to shorten and solder... with the prospect of starting over if I messed up (I only had the exact number of SATA terminals) hanging over me, a mistake at this point would have been a rage quit. haha..

Done, all the connections were solid, the heatshink suffered as the wires heated up but with that end of the loom being down running along the PCB I wasn't too concerned.

Next was the bloody 24PIN, well, all the other cables really! If you've been following along you'll remember I've not been a huge fan of my pervious efforts. I loved the colors... individually, but struggled to make them work once fitted in a combination that really blended with the color scheme.

I touched on it a couple updates ago (I think) but I'd bought more sleeve in just the blue and the grey. So the plan was to re-sleeve the GPU, POWER and CPU. Then make a new 24pin.

The old one was just a little too long in many of the wires which caused it to push up against the RAM more then I'd like.. I took my time, dropped the partial sleeve from last time and it worked out much better IMO.

This time round i was able to have the PSU end come up from the bottom, which would enable to power adapter cable to run flush over the top, much better then before.

Lastly I used more of the matt black vinyl to mute the silver/red motherboard stickers.

SO....

It's not finished....

But.

What do you think?

J.​

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com
Nice, very nice! Great work.

Thanks!

The best wiring yet, looks tight! Like this update. Shame it won't be done in time but you can't rush perfection.

It was a shame, but LAN was great regardless, the build pulled a lot of attention and performed amazingly well!

Superb craftsmanship!

Cheers buddy, all i see are faults... haha

Amazing work ! I'd be content if I could do this kind of sleeving and wiring, but I still have much to learn to reach this level.

Thanks, it was truly a challenge to sleeve cables in a chassis with nowhere to hide. I'm happy with the result. 100% replacement cables using 18 AWG wire and Teleios sleeve.

I've been blown away with the performance, its size just defies logic... and my specs arnt even that good. The chassis is a keeper, I'm already considering retiring my desktop (MODZERO X) moving to this full time whilst I work on my next personal build MODZERO 42.

j.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Duuude! Amazing! I love the way you made that Sata Power/data cable!

You ever figure out where you got those clear feet from? Are they hard or are they squishy? where can i buy em? I LOVE THEM! :D

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Duuude! Amazing! I love the way you made that Sata Power/data cable!

You ever figure out where you got those clear feet from? Are they hard or are they squishy? where can i buy em? I LOVE THEM! :D

Not OP and I COULD (and will) be wrong but I found some similar ones under "Self-Adhesive Rubber Feet - Clear Cylindrical" in Amazon.

Cheers

Reactions: CubanLegend

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
@MODZERO Can you explain a bit more how you did the Sata power cable? I see wires coming from each drive. Wires coming from the HDplex. Did you just solder all three together?

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com
@MODZERO What paint/wrap did you use for the frame?
@MODZERO Can you explain a bit more how you did the Sata power cable? I see wires coming from each drive. Wires coming from the HDplex. Did you just solder all three together?

Pretty much,

You can make it out from the photos above, the process I went through. Just take your time and get clean joins.

I just we added an Oculus Rift + touch + three sponsors to my S4 MINI setup and its amazing! This chassis really does it all. (with the help of a Anker powered USB 3.0 7 PORT HUB).

As for the build itself, I'm stuck at stage 1.0. I had a supplier lined up for my custom fabs but it fell through. With summer LAN fast approaching (insomnia 61) I'll be trying my hardest to get it finished.

J.

MODZERO

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
www.instagram.com

UPDATE 6.1

Hi, Things have been quiet on the build front for some time now. I've been crazy busy. I'm now a married man and 8 weeks away from welcoming my first child into this world. I've continued to use JUICE as my daily driver and boy does it continue to impress. A couple months back I uploaded a quick snap showing a quick side panel mod I'd done in time for Insomnia 61 gaming festival. Having the side panel fitted makes the chassis as a whole much more stable.

LAN was awesome (it always is), providing 5 days of freedom from the rest of daily life stresses. Shortly after I came back, I received a message from a dude called Victor (a user on these forums, whats your username brah?). He'd seen my fabricator had fallen through and kindly offered up his time to help me out (what a guy!).

I sent him my CAD design for the Matrix Orb display bracket and he's run with it, correcting the mistakes I'd made and bashing out a prototype.

Designed to attach to the 120mm fan mount on the S4 mini, Victor has opted to laser cut the design from acrylic. Then mill out where required and tap the holes.

First attempt cut and ready for the mill. Victor plans to make two in case there are any issues whilst shipping them over the pond. Fingers crossed both survive, for I intend to give the second one away to anyone with an S4 Mini, here on these forums.

Victor lives in the US and operates OPEN BOX STUDIOS I recommend you get in touch with him if you're looking for some design/fabrication work to be carried out.

I'll be back with another update once the parts arrive.

J.​