S4 MINI #107

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
I built my first PC this past summer, starting in a Fractal Design Define Nano S. Once it arrived and I unpacked it, I immediately knew it was too big. So I went in search of high end and very power dense cases, leading me to the NCASE M1, the Silverstone ML-08, and finally, the S4 MINI. The NCASE was too much to haul around (didn't have any bags that it would fit in) and the GPU needed to be taken out each time I brought it somewhere. The ML-08 just weighed too much and was still too big for any bags I had.

Enter, the S4. After a good month of trolling the internet in search of a suitable case, I ran across the S4 and knew that was what I wanted. After waiting a good bit, it arrived last week, and it was certainly worth the wait. Size is perfect, weight is just right, and it feels good in the hands.

Specs:
Chassis:
NFC S4 MINI
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 6GB Zotac 1050 Ti Low Profile + NFC Systems ribbon cable
Memory: Hyper X Fury 16 GB DDR4-2133
Motherboard: Asus Z170i Pro Gaming with Intel 8260NGW wireless card
Power: Mini-Box pico PSU 160XT + 192W adapterHDPLEX 300 + Dell 330W HDPLEX 160 AC-DC and HDPLEX 160 DC-ATX
Storage: Samsung 850 960 EVO 256 GB

I'm still waiting on my power button and some other supplies to arrive, but I went ahead and pulled the components from the ML-08. I swapped the coolers out and got what I had mocked up, but noticed a bit of GPU sag (that was to be expected), and an uncomfortable amount of torsion and tension on both the GPU and motherboard PCI-E slot using Josh's new riser card.

So I got to taking the case down to the frame, and eventually decided that the GPU needs a brace.

It will be made of whatever suitable aluminum scrap I have lying around at work, and will be slightly adjustable and in multiple pieces so that it's simple to create and take apart. More updates tomorrow :thumb:

Last edited:

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that the CPU heatsink should be oriented 90 degrees from the way it is to be able to vent freely out of both sides.
wait, really? I have my heat sink oriented the same way as OP (same goes for people in other build logs).

Reactions: ricochet

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that the CPU heatsink should be oriented 90 degrees from the way it is to be able to vent freely out of both sides.
I've seen it oriented both ways, but Noctua doesn't specify a specific orientation in their manual. It might make a difference, so I'll do some testing when I get to that point--in both orientations, with and without the fin shrouds--and then report back.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
http://linipc.com/blogs/news/62223749-id-cooling-is-40-is-vc45-review

linipc.com said:
One important thing to note here is that the heat sink placement for the IS-VC45 in this picture is wrong! The open sides of the fins need to be aligned towards the most open area so that air flow from the fan, which blows down, can move unimpeded.

If you look at the positioning of the Noctua NH-L9i that is correct.

I did a round of testing as pictured with the IS-VC45 and then realized my mistake and corrected it which yielded a much better results. All of the results here are based on testing with the correct placement.

In a case this tight where the heat sink is almost flush with the RAM correct positioning will make a major difference in cooling performance.

Reactions: noobi3st

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'm surprised you have some torsion with your 1060, but I am super interested to see what you come up with!

As for the cooler, I don't want to be bossy but it makes a big difference and can save you from replacing that first stick of ram in 2 months. Luckily the Noctua couldn't be easier to install, and there is a big cutout on the back of the MINI for that reason!

Thank you for the worklog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, something else I remembered. I would recommend setting up your system temporarily outside the chassis before you start your power tuning for the PICO to make things easy.

PEACE

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
I'm surprised you have some torsion with your 1060, but I am super interested to see what you come up with!

As for the cooler, I don't want to be bossy but it makes a big difference and can save you from replacing that first stick of ram in 2 months. Luckily the Noctua couldn't be easier to install, and there is a big cutout on the back of the MINI for that reason!

Thank you for the worklog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, something else I remembered. I would recommend setting up your system temporarily outside the chassis before you start your power tuning for the PICO to make things easy.

PEACE
Point well taken, I will rotate it before I boot the system up, and go ahead and scratch the testing then. I just had stuff in there for the purposes of the mockup, and have plenty more to do before I start power tuning :confused:

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
Do you have a press brake and PEMSERTER/press? :eek:
I have a press brake at my disposal, but no dedicated PEMserter. Just a wide selection of dies for reaming and then inserting separately. We don't do enough with 'em to justify having a PEMserter

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well, lots of people here with sheet metal fabrication needs, maybe you could hook us up :)

Reactions: Phuncz

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
Just doing little things today...

Replacement card for the sub-par stock Asus one.

Back in the housing

Assembled it for some testing on power draw

So glad I finally got one of these, even if it is a cheap one!

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Dec 2, 2016
the brace is an awesome idea. I will use it my upcoming build. Thanks so much for sharing this info.
Respect.