S4 MINI #107

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
School and work have kept me from making an update, but I have been slowly making progress.

After continuous resets and BSODs and subsequent failures with power tuning, I decided to swap out to something a little more stable.

HDPLEX 300

Dell 330W adapter

This combination is more than enough to keep my system running under any conditions I've been able to throw at it. Seriously impressed :thumb: I have shortening and crimping supplies on the way and will update when those arrive.

I got around to making a brace prototype, but found the flex imparted on the PCI-E slot had lessened with time and pre-bending of the riser. I still plan on making the brace, but it probably won't be a necessity until I start bringing this rig more places with me. A couple dimensions need some tweaking (READ: didn't make an appropriate model), and I still need some appropriate hardware to get it mounted up.

I forgot about the round hole until after I had cut it to length, so I just roughly shaped the fan cutout for reference.

This aluminum was incredibly soft and gummy and difficult to mill out in the middle, but it was something we had laying around. Were I to make them on a mass scale, I'd probably go with a 6000 series plate or another alloy that actually chips well.

Not entirely related, but I had this lil bugger arrive today. I'm excited to have something a little more portable and lightweight to go with my S4!

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
So I can't find the battery for my camera, but I finished up the wiring. This was my first time modifying computer wiring, but I think I got the hang of it pretty quickly. The wiring job is by no means perfect, but I'm glad I did it myself and got the experience. I still need to bundle the wires together, but I haven't soldered my power switch and have some mods that I want to make before putting it all together. This "phase" of the build is mostly finished, but I have plans for more cohesive theme down the line as both time and money permit.

Temporary power button

Full side shot

Close-up with a potato+flash

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
Those parts certainly look familiar : )
All credit goes to you for paving the way and inspiring me! Quick question, did you crimp or solder the power-in cables on the C7 connector? If you crimped them, could you point me in the direction of the correct terminals to use?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Honestly I looped and twisted them and then added shrink sleeving to hold it all in place. Probably the wrong way to do it, but meh.

Reactions: noobi3st

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016

Made some progress this evening, the remaining parts I need should be arriving by Friday.

@Josh | NFC Do you know what happens to be the proper length for the screws that hold the bezel to frame in the rear? I seem to have lost mine and need to get some appropriate replacements

Reactions: Josh | NFC

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
You should get countersunk 6-32 screw 3/8" long
are those the same length and type of screw for the chassis side panels? I haven't opened my S4 Mini in a while (like 2 months) since I settled it down on the mods, but I'm gonna epoxy my HDPLEX-300 to do the coil-whine reduction mod later this month so i fear i'll lose a screw... XD

@Josh | NFC you should sell packets of backup "Set of S4 Mini screws", I'd buy a set right away bro, for peace of mind, seriously. XD

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
are those the same length and type of screw for the chassis side panels? I haven't opened my S4 Mini in a while (like 2 months) since I settled it down on the mods, but I'm gonna epoxy my HDPLEX-300 to do the coil-whine reduction mod later this month so i fear i'll lose a screw... XD

@Josh | NFC you should sell packets of backup "Set of S4 Mini screws", I'd buy a set right away bro, for peace of mind, seriously. XD

The good news is that the R3 MINIs come with extra screws. For all of us who have screws loose. Good idea on putting more screws in the store, but they would have to be something fancier and different.

The side panel screws are 5mm which is just under a 1/4."

Reactions: CubanLegend

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016

Had a few more goodies come in today. @Josh | NFC These feet are beautiful! Can't wait to have them mounted up so my cat can't knock the S4 over.

Case is a Nanuk 930. It will fit the S4, a mouse, a keyboard (60% or smaller), cables, and maayybe a controller. I'm pretty sure it fits within all American airline carry-on restrictions, but has no wheels or anything like that.

Still waiting on a couple of parts, but they should be here by the middle of next week

Last edited:
Reactions: Weredawg

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Case looks like a Nanuk 930, not a 935. Since these are markedly different cases, I hope it's the one you meant to get.

noobi3st

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 22, 2016
Case looks like a Nanuk 930, not a 935. Since these are markedly different cases, I hope it's the one you meant to get.
Oops, yes, I meant 930—was just a typo. Edited it to match! Thanks!

Last edited:

axtran

Average Stuffer
Feb 13, 2017
Had a few more goodies come in today. @Josh | NFC These feet are beautiful! Can't wait to have them mounted up so my cat can't knock the S4 over.

Case is a Nanuk 930. It will fit the S4, a mouse, a keyboard (60% or smaller), cables, and maayybe a controller. I'm pretty sure it fits within all American airline carry-on restrictions, but has no wheels or anything like that.

Still waiting on a couple of parts, but they should be here by the middle of next week

So... would it fit the power brick, mouse and keyboard? :)

JoeSFF

Chassis Packer
Mar 25, 2017
Hello, how are cpu temps for you? I have the same mobo, cpu and cooler. Im hitting 47 Celsius on idle and peaking 96 during overwatch. Im thinking its the cables, theyre stock hdplex 300w. Do you think custom, shorter cables will bring down the temp? I can post pics of the setup.