NFC S4 Mini #178 - Dusk

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Okay, I just got the chance to take pictures of my system. It's currently in a Mini-Box M350, I had the case laying around and I felt like it would be a good temporary fitment test.

My conclusion from using a 120mm fan on top for reference, like you suggested, is that an adapter like yours that is centered over the fan mounting points should work. It will be a close fit against the CPU power connector, and it's possible that the fan casing/frame would be flush against the connector, but I think the wires could still be routed out and around.

I'd have to invest in low profile RAM like you have but that's something I'd be happy to do for the result!

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Okay, I just got the chance to take pictures of my system. It's currently in a Mini-Box M350, I had the case laying around and I felt like it would be a good temporary fitment test.

My conclusion from using a 120mm fan on top for reference, like you suggested, is that an adapter like yours that is centered over the fan mounting points should work. It will be a close fit against the CPU power connector, and it's possible that the fan casing/frame would be flush against the connector, but I think the wires could still be routed out and around.

I'd have to invest in low profile RAM like you have but that's something I'd be happy to do for the result!
you tried just placing the 120mm fan on top and seeing if there's any performance benefit first?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
you tried just placing the 120mm fan on top and seeing if there's any performance benefit first?

No, I haven't done that. I'm not so worried about the performance benefit as I am the improved aesthetics. That's not a particularly attractive (or good, I presume) fan, but I'm hoping to get one that will look more cohesive with the color theme I'm going for with my S4 mini. The tan and brown is an eyesore.

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
No, I haven't done that. I'm not so worried about the performance benefit as I am the improved aesthetics. That's not a particularly attractive (or good, I presume) fan, but I'm hoping to get one that will look more cohesive with the color theme I'm going for with my S4 mini. The tan and brown is an eyesore.
Anything to get rid of that Noctua color! Though I have to admit, its grown on me a little and definitely prefer it to glossy black plastic (cough cough rosewill fan). 4 pin power doesn't look like itll be much of a problem. Looks like there's enough slack for you bend it and wrap it around if needed.

I actually had no idea that ram height was a thing when I purchased mine. I always thought they was the uniform standard height and bought the cheapest pair >.>

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Shoooot! I accidentally posted that album in the wrong thread, haha! Sorry about that.

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
@mtl171 sorry, if this is answered in your posts already, but can you tell us how the Rosewill fan is connected and controlled? Is it running via GPU PWM or fixed RPM? Is the noise level acceptable or would you recommend a different fan?

Last edited:

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
@mtl171 sorry, if this is answered in your posts already, but can you tell us how the Rosewill fan is connected and controlled? Is it running via GPU PWM or fixed RPM? Is the noise level acceptable or would you recommend a different fan?
The rosewill fan is hooked up to a fan adaptor cable which is then plugged into the fan head on my 1070 (specific cable should be in the first post). By using the adaptor cable, it lets the GPU control the fan speed. Not sure if its PWM but its definitely changing speed. The bonus of using the adaptor cable, is you can also easily set a fan curve via afterburner

As for the noise, I'm starting to think that I have unrealistic expectations for noise. At idle (20% fan speed), its hard to hear unless you actively listen for it. Anything over 25% is audible. 35% sounding similar to a laptop with fans cranked up with 45% sounding like a laptop about to melt. For reference, I have my fans set to about 70% at load. Pretty much if you hope to get decent GPU cooling quietly, this is not the fan for you. Some other posters in the S4 mini chassis thread are trying a Scythe fan so I might consider one of those in the future. Until then, closed back headphones shut out the noise well enough.

Reactions: CubanLegend

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
So Noctua recently released their much hyped A12x15 PWM! which means its time to sandwich my 1070 mini between a sandwich of noctua goodness.

Fits perfectly in place of the Rosewill fan

Attaching the other fan was a bit tricky as I didn't have a revision 3 case with GPU fan bracket screw holes or the technically prowness to make them. So I opted to adhere the fan bracket to the case edge use a bit of double sided foam tape! While it was a tight fit there still some wiggle room between the fan and card. So I inserted the included rubber dampeners and cut the down to act as a standoff between the GPU and panel I reassembled it.

Overall, I think its slightly quieter than the Rosewill when both fans are running at full load. Though I haven't been able to get a good measure on temperatures to compare since its really hot right now (87F ambient). Though the GPU does sit at mid/high 70s for a couple minutes before hitting 80 (unlike the Rosewill setup where itd spike to 82 at load).

If any of you want more pics let me know and I'll try my best to get them. Completely forgot as I was just focused on getting the fans in and testing.

Reactions: spintje