Production ONE2 DISTRO 400 - A 12V Power distribution board

arataisozaki

Chassis Packer
Oct 20, 2018
Hey there, just made an interesting observation and was wondering if that could be of relevance to your product too.
When I set up my meanwell rps-200 with a load switch for the 4-pin CPU header, I was quite surprised when I saw that my system actually started up without the load switch being switched on.
When I thought about it, it actually made sense. The load switch consists of a NPN mosfet, so it just passes through the 12 V line and switches on the ground line. Maybe this is also motherboard specific but it appeared that the CPU ground is internally connected to the 24-pin ATX ground on the motherboard. So the load switch ends up just adding another ground for the CPU.
Do you also see this problem with the distro 400 or are you switching loads another way?
Cheers!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hey there, just made an interesting observation and was wondering if that could be of relevance to your product too.
When I set up my meanwell rps-200 with a load switch for the 4-pin CPU header, I was quite surprised when I saw that my system actually started up without the load switch being switched on.
When I thought about it, it actually made sense. The load switch consists of a NPN mosfet, so it just passes through the 12 V line and switches on the ground line. Maybe this is also motherboard specific but it appeared that the CPU ground is internally connected to the 24-pin ATX ground on the motherboard. So the load switch ends up just adding another ground for the CPU.
Do you also see this problem with the distro 400 or are you switching loads another way?
Cheers!

Mine switches on the high side. I do not have this issue.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Black pcb 12V plug-in!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
For future reference, I'd recommend including a minimal SATA power cable that includes ONLY one, or at the most two, power connectors. As the owner of a KMPKT Dynamo Mini I would say the only annoying thing about it is the superfluous connectors on the SATA cable, which supports four drives. It creates so much clutter. But I don't think most people are gonna use four 2.5" drives, especially not in very tight small cases!

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
For future reference, I'd recommend including a minimal SATA power cable that includes ONLY one, or at the most two, power connectors. As the owner of a KMPKT Dynamo Mini I would say the only annoying thing about it is the superfluous connectors on the SATA cable, which supports four drives. It creates so much clutter. But I don't think most people are gonna use four 2.5" drives, especially not in very tight small cases!

Mine only has two SATA connectors. ;)

iaomw

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
Looks very cool in black. The shape is very similar to the Z2-ATX-200. There is also the little 5 pin interface, does it has the same definition as Z2-ATX-200?

I think one good thing for HDPLEX ( and G-unique ) is that extension socket is parallel to PCB instead of perpendicular to PCB. That will make cable management much more comfortable.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Second that. There's only one perpendicular connector on mine, and it's sata with pretty small plug so it's okay.
Also agreed on only 2 sata plug.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Looks very cool in black. The shape is very similar to the Z2-ATX-200. There is also the little 5 pin interface, does it has the same definition as Z2-ATX-200?

I think one good thing for HDPLEX ( and G-unique ) is that extension socket is parallel to PCB instead of perpendicular to PCB. That will make cable management much more comfortable.

HDPlex actually requires the same amount of space, since they use a second board. The connectors are also fairly large which takes up much more space.

G-unique is very slim though.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Here it is:

Need to design the 3d printed cover.

The Plugin is already available at j-hackcompany.com if you need a picopsu.

Was secretly hoping for black connectors, but it means nothing, really. THIS LOOKS GREAT!

Pictures with the plugin board, please!

Reactions: Beardedswede

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
maybe this is a dumb question:
does the board support 400w total, including passthrough to the plugin board?
or
400w plus the plugin board power?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
maybe this is a dumb question:
does the board support 400w total, including passthrough to the plugin board?
or
400w plus the plugin board power?

400W total including passthrough. The filter circuit is mostly limited by the inductor. One can well... add active cooling.... ;)

Usually an effect of overloading a circuit is heat, too much heat = fire. So things that are cooled, last longer, and can conduct more.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
thanks for the quick response! i'm also wondering where you get those low profile 24pin connectors.

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Another dumb question from a non-modder - does this distro setup still require an external brick? Sorry if I missed something earlier in the thread.... :eek:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Another dumb question from a non-modder - does this distro setup still require an external brick? Sorry if I missed something earlier in the thread.... :eek:

Yes. This is only the DC-DC part. You will need your choice of brick or internal AC-DC. The wago connectors makes it easy to connect any input wires.

I recommend the Meanwel GST280A12, it can sustain 250W, though it is quite big. It is very affordable, at $90 a part, and you don't have the issue of getting fakes.

Reactions: br3nd0

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
Yes. This is only the DC-DC part. You will need your choice of brick or internal AC-DC. The wago connectors makes it easy to connect any input wires.

I recommend the Meanwel GST280A12, it can sustain 250W, though it is quite big. It is very affordable, at $90 a part, and you don't have the issue of getting fakes.

Awesome thanks. One other question - if I have a couple of Guryhwa's G-Unique setups, with the plastic modded Dell 330w brick to handle higher wattages (400w/450w peak I think), would this also work with your Distro 400? My guess is it's risky given the modifications but thought I'd ask first as I really like the simplicity of your unit - thanks again.