Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Cant wait for this one! Emailed with some shipping questions. Cheers!

Resolved :) If anyone else would encounter a problem that there are no shipping options to a country where you live - just contact me, I'll check prices and add them in the shop settings.

@Matt3D it would be helpful if you put a site link in the first post.

Done, thanks for the tip!

hi, first, awsome!
theres no usb port on the front side, right? any chance to make it?
thanks

I'd love to do that actually, let me know which version are you interested in and which components would you like to use. I'll do everything in my power to squeeze a USB adapter in. Do you have a particular adapter in mind?

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Another question since I didnt feel like cluttering your email: what riser length do I need for a "Same-As-Motherboard" Case? would 25cm work or does it need to be longer?

BertongBantot

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 6, 2018
I'm interested in this Mini ITX case, can you make one that kinda looks like its made out of metal?
Like the one with a Anodized Brushed Aluminum finish?
And one that don't look like a Shoe box? :p

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
SE and ME versions are ready for manufacturing, I'll make the renders and put them in the shop ASAP. L and LE versions are almost ready - they should be available in the shop at the end of January.

BTW here are some pictures of a custom version I made for one of the forum members. It's an extra small version measuring only 3.6L (330x195x56mm) suitable for HP AIO 300W internal PSU from G-Unique, 4 SSD's and up to 28mm high CPU coolers.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
SE and ME versions are ready for manufacturing, I'll make the renders and put them in the shop ASAP. L and LE versions are almost ready - they should be available in the shop at the end of January.

BTW here are some pictures of a custom version I made for one of the forum members. It's an extra small version measuring only 3.6L (330x195x56mm) suitable for HP AIO 300W internal PSU from G-Unique, 4 SSD's and up to 28mm high CPU coolers.

That looks explatively good. Xplatively even! :p

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Out of curiosity what are you doing to finish these? I was looking at the Zortrax printers I believe you use and I can't believe they come straight off the printer like this. They look great BTW.

Well... the short answer is that I'm not finishing them, they come straight off the printer like this. The long answer is that Zortrax printers might not have some of the popular features like WiFi, LCD screen, camera etc. but they are unbeatable when it comes to printing quality and reliability. On top of that it took me months of research and testing to find the best quality ABS filament on the market, master the parameters of printing and mod the printers. I've wasted so much time vapor smoothing cases, painting them etc. just to figure out that it doesn't improve the overall quality that much.

Actually that was the easy part of the job, the hard part is to convince people that 3D printed cases aren't inferior to metal ones. Even more - much greater flexibility is a huge advantage.

BTW. Once I'll release SE, ME, L and LE versions, I'll be looking for influencers who might be interested in reviewing the case. Any ideas who should I reach out to?

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
LinusTechTips, TekEverything, HardwareCanucks, GamersNexus.
Btw, Linus and Jay really loves SFF build.
Don't forget to send it with G-Unique DC-DC + power brick

Thanks!

so wait, what shape is the L gonna be?

360 x 330 x 72 mm. It supports SFX & SFX-L PSU and up to 305mm long graphics cards. Both versions with graphics card facing up and down will be available. Layout similar to Sentry and Node 202.

bricemx

Chassis Packer
Jan 9, 2018
Well... the short answer is that I'm not finishing them, they come straight off the printer like this. The long answer is that Zortrax printers might not have some of the popular features like WiFi, LCD screen, camera etc. but they are unbeatable when it comes to printing quality and reliability. On top of that it took me months of research and testing to find the best quality ABS filament on the market, master the parameters of printing and mod the printers. I've wasted so much time vapor smoothing cases, painting them etc. just to figure out that it doesn't improve the overall quality that much.

Actually that was the easy part of the job, the hard part is to convince people that 3D printed cases aren't inferior to metal ones. Even more - much greater flexibility is a huge advantage.

BTW. Once I'll release SE, ME, L and LE versions, I'll be looking for influencers who might be interested in reviewing the case. Any ideas who should I reach out to?
I'm totally with you, 3D print case aren't inferior to metal case, i like them even more, flexibility like you mentioned. You should continue in 3D print project case and improve quality product. Perhaps no much people like you aren't trying 3D print case, No such people have think about that before, i think you're the only one. Very good initiative and creativity from you. With time people with know the new method of manufacturing cases. I can't wait for the LE or the L version to come out.

Reactions: Matt3D

Curvas

Caliper Novice
Nov 17, 2017
Hey, ever considered a IGP-only version case?

Since I've seen many manufacturers are planning to sell mini PCs (Intel NUC, ZOTAC, ASUS...), and more came in CES 2018.

I've tried to find a such a case, but they are either not customizable, since they are not using mainstream hardware,
or not "small" enough ( E-mini H60 might be the best choice by now).

Also I've done some design work, planning to do a 185 * 185 * 55 mm, 1.9L case, with pico psu, m.2 only case. should be able to fit some regular CPU coolers like NH-L9, and a m.2 SSD under motherboard, we can even add a thermal paste between SSD and the bottom panel for cooling. Just a newbie at SFF and manufacturing stuff, any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
I'm so happy that this project is taking off very well by the looks of it! Last time I commented you made some very sexy prototypes. I might just have to move some cheddar aside to buy a case! :) I own two G-Unique ultimate bricks, both with the beefy special 12 pin connectors (6x2 grid). Do you offer any customization if requested in terms of any dimensions for that power opening?

6x2 G-Unique. I could probably have Gury make me a base unit that may fit better with the small space with screws on the left and right instead of the top, less bulk, etc.