Stalled Modivio xCase - customizable console-style case

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Question about having the GPU oriented on the same side as the motherboard: Would the hard drive bracket then be on the bottom or do you have to sacrifice the bracket if we choose this orientation?

Good question. Moving the bracket to the bottom would be a great solution, I'll test that layout asap.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Guys, I'd love to hear your opinions on improving the airflow in console-style cases. So far I have two ideas:

1. Placing two 60 or 80 mm fans on the opposite to PCI-E connector side of the motherboard. They would push air out of a case. Outter length would have to be increased from 350 to 360mm.
2. Venting holes grid on side panels would allow to mount 80, 92 or 120mm fans directly on them. Because it's a simple linear pattern people could place those fans anywhere, depending on which components they use and where they have some free space.

What do you think?

Reactions: br3nd0

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I figured I need to do a better job explaining people which version fits which components and how the layouts would look like. I just went ahead and made models of each possible configuration. Any thoughts before I'll make final renders for the website? :)

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I'm proud to present that xCase S and M versions are ready to order!

You can order them directly on my website www.modivio.com . Please keep in mind that due to many customization options each unit is built to order. I'll make everything in my power to ship your case asap but an official version is that the lead time is approx. 2 weeks.

Cases are shipped worldwide. I'm manufacturing them in EU which means that shipping prices to most EU countries are below $20. I was able to drop the price of shipping to the US to $29.

Now some of the fun stuff. I've modified the project to improve the airflow. xCase S and M versions support four 60x60x10 exhaust fans. Furthermore hole pattern on side panels lets you mount 80mm and 120mm fans directly on them. All you need are four screws and nuts. The second thing is that xCase M supports HD-PLEX DC-DC 400W and AC-DC 300W units inside the case! Please take a look at www.modivio.com/layouts to see all possible components layouts and which components are supported.

Matt

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I'd be very greatfull if you could fill out the survey I created. It will help me improve the case and provide better products for my clients. Even if you aren't interested in buying the case your answers could help me a lot. As a thank you I'll send each person who fills out the survey a $10 coupon for my shop - just put in an email at the end https://******/forms/jMbi3iGxUYObzQrE2

Reactions: Biowarejak

iaomw

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
I'm proud to present that xCase S and M versions are ready to order!

You can order them directly on my website www.modivio.com . Please keep in mind that due to many customization options each unit is built to order. I'll make everything in my power to ship your case asap but an official version is that the lead time is approx. 2 weeks.

Cases are shipped worldwide. I'm manufacturing them in EU which means that shipping prices to most EU countries are below $20. I was able to drop the price of shipping to the US to $29.

Now some of the fun stuff. I've modified the project to improve the airflow. xCase S and M versions support four 60x60x10 exhaust fans. Furthermore hole pattern on side panels lets you mount 80mm and 120mm fans directly on them. All you need are four screws and nuts. The second thing is that xCase M supports HD-PLEX DC-DC 400W and AC-DC 300W units inside the case! Please take a look at www.modivio.com/layouts to see all possible components layouts and which components are supported.

Matt

Super cool, but why did u remove the option of white or gray?

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Super cool, but why did u remove the option of white or gray?

Don't worry, there was a problem with 3D printed white ABS - it's sensitive to UV light therefore after a couple months of exposure to sunlight it gets a bit yellowish. I couldn't offer that color untill I resolve the problem. I've tested other materials like white ASA filament which is resistant to UV light but I couldn't find the brand which would offer snow-white ASA. All materials I've tested were somewhere in between grey and white. To offer the best quality of the product I'll just paint all white versions of the bezel with white acrylic paint. This way the case will be snow-white like side panels and resistant to UV light. Expect this option to appear in the shop in a week or two along with SE, ME and most likely L and LE versions of the case.

Last edited:

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
UPDATE:
I got an amazing feedback from the survey. As a result I'm focusing on 3 goals over the next couple of weeks: finishing SE, ME, L and LE versions, improving the website to better explain compatibility of each version of a case and adding more items to the shop like PCI-e risers, 16mm buttons and airflow fan kits.

One more question. Currently SE, ME and LE versions are compatible with Noctua L12 cooler but I'm considering extending the case to fit a new L12S version. Someone would be interested in a case supporting this cooler?

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I can tell you this is a hot topic in the Ghost S1 thread right now, everyone asking for additional MM's to fit the L12S. If you can fit the L12 I think it would be worth it to expand it a bit to fit the L12S, the L12 is already getting hard to find and prices are going through the roof.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
I can tell you this is a hot topic in the Ghost S1 thread right now, everyone asking for additional MM's to fit the L12S. If you can fit the L12 I think it would be worth it to expand it a bit to fit the L12S, the L12 is already getting hard to find and prices are going through the roof.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the Ghost project, I've been following those guys since they started their first campaign. It's a dream of mine to be in a year or two where those guys are right now. S1 really is an inspiration. This situation shows the advantage of 3D printed cases. It'll take me an hour to adjust the project to fit L12S and start manufacturing the first unit. Today it's L12S, tomorrow could be some other new hardware. I'll just go ahead and do it.

Matt3D

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modivio
Mar 2, 2017
Damn shame the c1 is slightly taller than even the l12s

That got me thinking. What if I could let the buyer decide which CPU cooler he wants and manufacture the case just big enough to fit it? The reason I got into just 2 height options was to not create confusion. I could still offer the same 2 versions as I currently am BUT with a custom extension option to add a couple of milimeters to fit a particular cooler. $1 for 1mm seems like a reasonable price. E.g. if you want M version which would fit Cryorig C1, just order ME version and put in the form additional 4mm which would be required to fit this cooler. Shop will automatically add $4 to the price.

BTW. White version of xCase S and M is ready to order! I'll add renders and real photos soon.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
That got me thinking. What if I could let the buyer decide which CPU cooler he wants and manufacture the case just big enough to fit it? The reason I got into just 2 height options was to not create confusion. I could still offer the same 2 versions as I currently am BUT with a custom extension option to add a couple of milimeters to fit a particular cooler. $1 for 1mm seems like a reasonable price. E.g. if you want M version which would fit Cryorig C1, just order ME version and put in the form additional 4mm which would be required to fit this cooler. Shop will automatically add $4 to the price.

BTW. White version of xCase S and M is ready to order! I'll add renders and real photos soon.
You are a genius