Kimera Industries Project Nova: 17 liters of 5-slot mATX goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
[REDACTED] sure is a cool name. Very unique, I like the styling too.

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Mar 3, 2015
Hey Aibohphobia, how did you revise the main chassis so that when it was bent, it didn't hit the forming dies? I currently have this problem with my case and I have come up with a solution, but I am curious how you were able to fix yours.

-Jeffinslaw

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Also if you get a 30k order I think you will make the production and logistics fit to that order, it might take a little longer, but hey first world problems at that point.

My main worry would be getting stuck in a place where there's too many to manufacture using just press brakes in a reasonable time-frame but not enough to justify the tooling for stamping. I don't see it becoming an issue though because this is still such a niche design.

Hey Aibohphobia, how did you revise the main chassis so that when it was bent, it didn't hit the forming dies? I currently have this problem with my case and I have come up with a solution, but I am curious how you were able to fix yours.

I had to redesign the frame. Originally the top/back/bottom was one piece and the front/mobo tray was another. But that makes for a deep U-shape that isn't easy to form with regular press brakes so I did it such that the front/tray/back was a single piece and the top and bottom are separate.

Makes for 3 parts instead of 2 but it's easier to bend.

Jeffinslaw

Average Stuffer
Mar 3, 2015
I had to redesign the frame. Originally the top/back/bottom was one piece and the front/mobo tray was another. But that makes for a deep U-shape that isn't easy to form with regular press brakes so I did it such that the front/tray/back was a single piece and the top and bottom are separate.

Makes for 3 parts instead of 2 but it's easier to bend.

Could you post a picture of the changes? If it doesn't reveal too much of your case design ;) I'm just trying to come up with inspiration for my case.

-Jeffinslaw

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe something like this?

So top and front as one piece, then back and bottom as another.

Reactions: Jeffinslaw

willemdoom

Chassis Packer
May 17, 2015
With the updated design how much rad+fan space will there be on the bottom and on the bracket?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Side bracket is about the same. That measurement is a bit fuzzy because whether something will fit is more a limitation of the rad + fan + tubing + block. Even a thick rad like the NZXT X41 fits nicely with a single fan because the tubing is very flexible.

A single-slot card in the 3rd slot (2nd from the bottom) leaves about 63mm clearance. That's just the current design though, it could go a few mm either way between now and production.

willemdoom

Chassis Packer
May 17, 2015
Yeah I figured with the bracked but the 63mm is actually more then I was expecting, even if it goes down a few mm, nice!

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hey all - in lieu of our relative silence, I figured I could share this aside since I found it very interesting: on HF, I joked a day or so ago that we would only be manufacturing Nova in beige - only to have a bunch of people say that they actually like the idea of a "retro" version of the case.

I countered by making a "Nostalgia Edition" of the KI logo:

Which then expanded to a few more versions, all of which are inspired by logos and styles used by real computer companies in the 1980s (see if you can figure out all three
):

Of course, we won't actually be doing a beige version (at least for now), but it was fun to re-imagine our own insignia in that early era of computing.

Reactions: jtd871 and jØrd

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Awesome designs, T-shirt worthy ;)
Or adhesive gel-badges perhaps !

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Any hope of an update by end of week? Skylake's lack of availability in NA has me thinking up X99 builds again... :D

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Updates are coming but I can't say when. Hopefully within a week or two but no promises.

Reactions: Vittra

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Can't wait for this bomb to drop and turn the world into fields of candy and prancing unicorns. Atleast that's how I predict it will go down.

Reactions: esplin2966

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Where there are prancing unicorns, there will be unicorn poop for them to prance in.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
An aluminium billet machined into a handle, you got to love the feeling of that piece of hardware in your hands when you're walking around at a LAN party with your uber SFF build alongside the ATX full towers being hauled in (mostly empty ofcourse).

Status
Not open for further replies.