Concept Interest Survey - MXM Heatsink Adapter

I would purchase a heat-plate adapting MXM to...

• 115x socket (75mm square)

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • 2011/Narrow ILM (56x94mm)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Wait, no option for those larger 180W cards, like the Clevo 1080?

• Neither. I'm all set.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • AM4 mounts would be fine, too (54x90mm)

• Total voters

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jan 27, 2017
Just a quick interest check - I have a business friend who is getting frisky with a milling machine, and I'm in need of one of these... Might as well make a model, and have him CNC it up in copper or aluminum.

I'm designing a plate which adapts an MXM card (85x105mm 1070 in mind, but compatibility is great) to a CPU heatsink. Normal CPU heatsinks are big, they are beefy, and they are common enough to make this a worthwhile venture. The model will be flat, with a cutout for the chokes, and then tapped holes for the 46mm GPU mount and tapped holes on the top (milled to processor socket spec) to mount the appropriate processor heatsink / waterblock.

Using 115x mounts, there are tons of choices for heatsinks, but they will be mounted off-center to the GPU die.
Using Narrow ILM, I can mount the CPU heatsink almost directly over the GPU die, and it'll perform better... But there are fewer options for heatsinks.
Using AM4 mounts is also an option - They center almost as well as Narrow ILM.

Ideally, the model will be as low-profile as I can make it - I'm thinking the whole deal will be milled from a 6 or 8mm sheet of copper / aluminum, with the appropriate gaps and slots cut to make everything happy. If I gather enough interest, I have a fancy and functional design idea for the dead space above the processor heatsink mount. If aluminum is the way to go, I have the practice and skill to anodize... But if I go with copper, I won't bother plating it.

I am also considering making a heatsink plate for the Clevo-type 100x124mm cards... They are quite a bit beefier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ionrent and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Socket 115x seems like a logical choice since it's square and the most popular making the choice in coolers huge.

Reactions: thewizzard1

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Any updates on this? It would be a great mod for the ASRock DeskMinis!