Production Modultra LOBO: Direct die kit gauging interest.

What materail and finish would you be interested for your build?

• Stainless steel.

• Brass with nickel plating.

• Raw brass with internal nickel plating.

Results are only viewable after voting.

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
Sorry for letting you wait...I was going through a lot of work and was completely overloaded and standing under a lot of preasure by myself. Sorry to @Alloy Craft for not posting anything yet. But here are my picture of my Intel i9-12900K delidded and with some Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal applied already. The Modultra Lobo in this prototype was bare copper and needed first a application to soak in the liquid metal and make a own barrier and then I reapplied the liquid metal for the final fitment.

It worked out all great and the temperatures went down arround 7°C in the benchmarks (like cinebench and others, compared to stock) but with 280mm Radiator (45mm thick) they settle in prime95 after nearly 60min. at 97°C both with and without delid. So I would argue that in the daily workflow and gaming its cooler by a fair bit. :) I will release some charts / diagrams with my review video, but that may take 1-2 weeks. For now I wanted to share that information with you guys! <3 Have a greeat weekend!

Last edited:

mishmash

Trash Compacter
Jan 12, 2020
I've just put my order in for a new build! A quick question - can other DDC pumps be used (4.2 or others?), I'm having a hard time sourcing a PWM 3.1 DDC...sorry if it has been covered, didn't see it in my skim of all the pages.

Edit: my main option is a DDC310 from alphacool, it does not have PWM but appears to be silent from reviews and postings at 100% flow...

Last edited:

FiftyFifty

Average Stuffer
May 20, 2021
I've just put my order in for a new build! A quick question - can other DDC pumps be used (4.2 or others?), I'm having a hard time sourcing a PWM 3.1 DDC...sorry if it has been covered, didn't see it in my skim of all the pages.

Edit: my main option is a DDC310 from alphacool, it does not have PWM but appears to be silent from reviews and postings at 100% flow...
Any geniune DDC fits. Would recommend one with PWM

Reactions: GucksTV

DJ313

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 7, 2023
Unfortunately there is not much to update. Still waiting on the beta testers to post their results. I don't have any of the components to test with so I am relying on them to report back when they are done.
Would be happy to test an AM5 version of this :-) 7950X and 7900X delidded and ready to go

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
Hey Guys! :) I have another one for you.
This time the Modultra LOBO by @Alloy Craft was used inside the SSUPD Meshroom S with two different Radiator Setups. Both 280mm, but one XT45 with Slim Fans (Arctic P14) and the ST30 Radiator with regular 25mm Fans.
It was tested with a ton of heat to dissipate! (Intel Core i9-12900K)

Hope you like the video:

Reactions: Alloy Craft and BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Thanks a lot for these tests!
As said in the Youtube comments, it would have been interesting to see the comparison with the combo of a thin ST30 rad and slim P14 fans.
It would probably be the worst setup of the three, but how bad would have been a nice info to get for us SFFers!

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Hey Guys! :) I have another one for you.
This time the Modultra LOBO by @Alloy Craft was used inside the SSUPD Meshroom S with two different Radiator Setups. Both 280mm, but one XT45 with Slim Fans (Arctic P14) and the ST30 Radiator with regular 25mm Fans.
It was tested with a ton of heat to dissipate! (Intel Core i9-12900K)

Hope you like the video:

Nice work, thanks again Victor.

Reactions: GucksTV

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
@Alloy Craft

What are the differences in height between all the pump covers when mounted to the LOBO? normal, conductor, slammer.
Also, what are the differences in pump temp when pump mounted to brass body between all the three covers.

Finally, niquel platting is really something I would like to have as an option. I ordered a 7950X3D that I will be deliding and direct die it to the LOBO and while I am resigned to re-apply the liquid metal from time to time, lapping the LOBO coldplate in the process, to remove the oxidated copper, I would love to have a niquel plated option that removes this issue from me.
Better than this would be a direct die cold plate for AM5 CPU's!

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019
Here is a drawing showing all our heatsink options and their heights. All heatsinks on brass block saw around 45 degree reduction in pump temps vs a plastic pump block. All the heatsink thermal testing data is on page 5. I do have some nickel plated cold plates but they are b grade. I do hope to get more done in nickel eventually, however it is proving difficult to find a plater that can do good work.

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
Many thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to know regarding temps and height. So the slammer makes the thing about 3mm less tall and still good thermal performance. I will get it instead of any of the others.

Regarding the nickel plated ones, what you mean by b-grade? If they are fine I can get one of those if they are for sale. Maybe I would leave a note on the order?

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
Also, if you want to give it a shot at designing a direct die cold plate for the AM5 socket I will happily buy a prototype and test it for you. The only difference in design would probably be the height of the cold plate to account for the removal of the heat spreader and also make the copper a bit thicker to allow for extra thermal mass to dissipate heat from the cores. Der Bauer explains this a bit on a video he posted about making is direct die block.

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
I had mine chemically nickel plated. ~10 micron layer.

some photos attached.
I will now sand it with 7000 grit sand paper and then polish it for a mirror finish.
In hindsight, I should have done this before the plating.

Alloy Craft

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Modultra
Oct 25, 2019

turboleak

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 8, 2019
Plating looks pretty good, you mind sharing who did it for you?

It was the Portuguese branch of this company:

I think I am going to order an extra cold plate from your website and polish the copper surface to mirror finish before nickel plating and then see if it makes any meaningful difference when used in a direct die scenario.