Prototype DAN HSLP-48: A powerful sub 50mm heatsink

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
I own an ASUS STRIX B450-I Gaming. Removing the VRM heatsink is as simple as screwing the two nuts on the underside of the board that hold it in place. Don't forget to put another set of VRM heatsinks on though.

You could also do what @scatterforce suggested with the Gigabyte X570 ITX board or get a Thermalright AXP-90 Full Copper. I own one that is graphene coated and it cools well without seeing tarnished copper later on.
I like this idea. Sadly that cooler is essentially unobtainium here in Australia

fabio

SFF Guru
Gold Supporter
Apr 6, 2016
I like this idea. Sadly that cooler is essentially unobtainium here in Australia
Don't bother on those. I've tried many times with the enzotech, and even if are lower in height, the performance is worse thatn the integrated heatsink. Tried on the Asus X470 Itx and on the Asus Z390 Itx.
In your case I will suggest to get the B450 Itx for AMD (I am using an 3900X withthe Strix). For Intel you can stay with MSI or the ASRock Phantom Gaming Z390, or if you want check also the H370 from Asus, or also the EVGA H370 Stinger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerdz

AURMEND

Cable-Tie Ninja
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Gold Supporter
Jul 30, 2018

asrock x570 minor cutting on the vrm heatsink, major modding on the chipset heatsink. 120mm fan in use

Reactions: Revenant

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
Is the only way to get this cooler in the US still to order it from OCUK? Not complaining too much, but it'd be nice to have easy availability in the US.

edwad_blake

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 31, 2020
Is there actually a mounting-kit to mount the Black Ridge in a 90° position?
These could maybe solve the compatibility issue for 570x boards (together with vlp-ram)…

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
Jan 14, 2018
Is there actually a mounting-kit to mount the Black Ridge in a 90° position?
These could maybe solve the compatibility issue for 570x boards (together with vlp-ram)…
Due to the CPU itself not being centered on the motherboard, i don't think it will work (unless I don't understand what you are saying)

edwad_blake

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 31, 2020
Due to the CPU itself not being centered on the motherboard, i don't think it will work (unless I don't understand what you are saying)
I imagined something like Noctua's NM-AM4 kit which allow 90* rotation.
Thereby you would shift overlap away from the m.2 to the ram...
I have a asus x570-I on the way and a Black Ridge at home... my imagination goes wild sometimes..🤪

AURMEND

Cable-Tie Ninja
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Gold Supporter
Jul 30, 2018
Both the gigabyte and ASRock x570 need mods to fit a black ridge. Best fitting so far is the gigabyte board

Yoshikan

Efficiency Noob
Jan 18, 2019
Hello guys !

I'm actually looking for my future motherboard. For this Black Ridge, the only B550 motherboard that doesn't seems to need any modding is the Asrock B550M-ITXac, right ?

Thank you :-)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hello guys !

I'm actually looking for my future motherboard. For this Black Ridge, the only B550 motherboard that doesn't seems to need any modding is the Asrock B550M-ITXac, right ?

I would say yes...:) Asrock seemed to develop this motherboard for low profile 120mm cooler...good thing especially when comparing vs Asus with active fan for VRM cooling and big heatsink.
I guess Mini ITX market is split in 2 nowadays : ones for short aircoolers, ones for AIO

scatterforce

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 21, 2018
Hello guys !

Do be aware; the ASrock socket location is a bit lower on the board. The Blackridge is only good for sandwich cases with this board; the MSI and Gigabyte PCBs have the socket slightly higher and would be good for console layouts paired with the Blackridge. You would need to remove the top cover of the NVME drive, but I don't consider that "modding."

Whichever you choose, good luck on your build!

Yoshikan

Efficiency Noob
Jan 18, 2019
Do be aware; the ASrock socket location is a bit lower on the board. The Blackridge is only good for sandwich cases with this board; the MSI and Gigabyte PCBs have the socket slightly higher and would be good for console layouts paired with the Blackridge. You would need to remove the top cover of the NVME drive, but I don't consider that "modding."

Yep, gonna be a sandwich layout in a Sliger SM560. Thanks for your answer ! :-)

Reactions: scatterforce

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Bronze Supporter
Aug 21, 2018

Can confirm. I run a Black Ridge on an ASRock B450 in a Sliger Conswole. No way it would fit without the riser cable.

Analogue Blacksheep

Master of Cramming
Bronze Supporter
Dec 2, 2018
Random question, but has anyone tried the Black Ridge with dual 120mm fans? How would it compare to a L12-S?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I did a small experiment with a 100m fan that has 92mm mounting holes, the thermalright TY-100BP. It fits in the Blackridge with the Asus b450i Strix motherboard and does not conflict with the IO nor ram. :)

How is it for temps? Is there much difference between that fan and an NF-A9x14?

yensteel

Caliper Novice
Aug 10, 2017
How is it for temps? Is there much difference between that fan and an NF-A9x14?
I didn't do any controlled tests beforehand, sorry :(. All I can remember is that the fan ramped up less often but I also messed with the Power Package, fan smoothing, etc so there's a lot of influencing variables.