News Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX RTX 4060 Low Profile

Gigabyte is creating an RTX 4060 low-profile card: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/g...-be-the-first-low-profile-ada-lovelace-design

3 fans, single 8-pin, 2 slots.

Pie in the sky, but would love to see an RTX 4060ti (or more crazy RTX 4070) model at some point.

___

16/01/2023 Addendum

ASUS now has a 4060 Low Profile card.
188mm, triple fan.

___

19/04/2024 Addendum

Galax has a card
182mm, triple fan, but the PCIE cable is at the front which will affect clearance without a custom solution.
Will advise to look for something slightly bigger

Cases these will fit into (double check before you buy, not everything is available):

Lenovo P3/P360 ULTRA - 182mm* - Gigabyte (May require modding)/Adapter Needed
ZS A4DC V3 - 182mm* - Gigabyte (May require modding)
ZS D2 (D Config) - 182mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Possible PCIE cable issue)
Gemcase C9 - 182mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Possible PCIE cable issue)
Lone Industries L5 - 185mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Custom_Mod SL3 STL 4.8L Rev.1 - 185mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
n3rdware Yocto - 185mm** (Guidance rather than a limit) - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
n3rdware Yocto+ - 185mm** Guidance rather than a limit) - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
ZS D2 V2 - 186mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Custom_Mod Case MINI LP edit. - 190mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
J-Hack Pure MK2 - 190mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Lazer3D HT5 - 194mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Lazer3D Cravo - 195mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
CAPTAIN CASE V9 - 208mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
REVOCCASES N0RDR1 Nano EVO - 210mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Metalfish 2 Plus - 210mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
LZmod A24-V5 V2.0 - 220mm- Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Silverstone Milo ML03 - 223mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Silverstone Milo ML04 - 223mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Metalfish G5 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
Bug C1 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
SKTC A10 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
Silverstone Milo ML11 - 272mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
So here's a first look at the shroud. Don't mind the color, that's just some leftover PLA I had laying around, perfect for prototyping. Final model should be printed in ABS or Nylon. Petg isn't stiff enough for the thin walls.

The performance with this shroud is suddenly a whole lot better. With my undervolt, I'm now getting up to 71C at 56% fan speed. I'm guessing it's because there's less of a gap between the fans and the heatsink now. To be sure, I ran another test without undervolt, and sure enough, 80C at 74% fan speed. Undervolt still preferred but not mandatory!

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
So here's a first look at the shroud. Don't mind the color, that's just some leftover PLA I had laying around, perfect for prototyping. Final model should be printed in ABS or Nylon. Petg isn't stiff enough for the thin walls.

The performance with this shroud is suddenly a whole lot better. With my undervolt, I'm now getting up to 71C at 56% fan speed. I'm guessing it's because there's less of a gap between the fans and the heatsink now. To be sure, I ran another test without undervolt, and sure enough, 80C at 74% fan speed. Undervolt still preferred but not mandatory!

I wonder what some nocturnal fans would do to the performance they are 60mm fans right?

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Does it still fit in 2 slots? Sign me right the f*** up

Yeah it'll be about 1mm thinner than the original card.

I wonder what some nocturnal fans would do to the performance they are 60mm fans right?
The original ones are 50mm. I could go for a 120x60 version but decided against it because:
- It goes slightly outside of the PCB edge, potentially making it incompatible with some motherboards
- The original fans seem good enough so are worth reusing

I did run a comparison between the original fans and 60mm Noctua's on the original heatsink though. The Noctua's were a bit better, but no night and day difference. It comes at the cost of being much thicker though.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Yeah it'll be about 1mm thinner than the original card.

The original ones are 50mm. I could go for a 120x60 version but decided against it because:
- It goes slightly outside of the PCB edge, potentially making it incompatible with some motherboards
- The original fans seem good enough so are worth reusing

I did run a comparison between the original fans and 60mm Noctua's on the original heatsink though. The Noctua's were a bit better, but no night and day difference. It comes at the cost of being much thicker though.
Alright I'm convinced. Web orders when? :)

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
So by eliminating the stock heat sink and the heat pipe, the length is reduced to 170mm? Nice. And any estimate of length with the 8pin 180 cable ?

Any idea if this mod would be better than deshroud the stock cooler + add 80mms?

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
So by eliminating the stock heat sink and the heat pipe, the length is reduced to 170mm? Nice. And any estimate of length with the 8pin 180 cable ?

Any idea if this mod would be better than deshroud the stock cooler + add 80mms?

the idea is to use it with a 180 degree 8pin adapter to stay within 170mm. Without, you’ll end up at about 180mm if you can make a tight bend with your cables.

The stock heatsink performs better than this one and a deshroud with larger fans should make it even better. Only with an undervolt did I get my version as quiet as the original.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Happy 2024 everyone!

I've been spending my holidays searching for a stiff, dimensional stable and temperature resistant filament to print the custom 4060 shroud. I ended up with carbon fiber infused PETG, which isn't the easiest to print but I managed to tune my printer to get good results.

With the shroud finished, my prototype is complete. The results are in line with my previous print so there's no more improvement in that regard. Last thing to do is to tune my toolpaths so I can scale the production up more reliably.

But let's take a look at this tiny thing inside my large Aklla A5 first 😄

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Just messing around with the 4060 LP today and comparing some results in timespy. I see that full sized cards are in the 11-12k range makes me wonder how the LP card may be physically different from any dual slot models and if the boost clock is the same. https://hwbot.org/benchmark/3dmark_...Id=videocard_3537&cores=1#start=0#interval=20

The silicon is identical but I suspect the VRM is possibly better in the full sized models allows higher power limit and thus higher boost. The 4060LP is locked to 100% power limit, after applying higher clocks i could approach almost 11k timespy gpu score (10,830 with +179 core and +999 mem), but I suspect to go much higher would need a bios mod.

Edit: appears the difference is mainly that some of the nicer cards have Hynix memory and the frequency can be increased substantially as well as the power limit increased, although the 4060LP had no problem hitting +1500mem...

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Just messing around with the 4060 LP today and comparing some results in timespy. I see that full sized cards are in the 11-12k range makes me wonder how the LP card may be physically different from any dual slot models and if the boost clock is the same. https://hwbot.org/benchmark/3dmark_...Id=videocard_3537&cores=1#start=0#interval=20

The silicon is identical but I suspect the VRM is possibly better in the full sized models allows higher power limit and thus higher boost. The 4060LP is locked to 100% power limit, after applying higher clocks i could approach almost 11k timespy gpu score (10,830 with +179 core and +999 mem), but I suspect to go much higher would need a bios mod.

Edit: appears the difference is mainly that some of the nicer cards have Hynix memory and the frequency can be increased substantially as well as the power limit increased, although the 4060LP had no problem hitting +1500mem...
Some of the larger cards started with a higher power limit (138W!!) AND allow to run at 120%! So a dinky little 4060 with 115W cap and 100% limit is never going to have much of a chance.

::EDIT:: I've seen 115W, 121W, 130W, 138W and 163W (Strix OC)! Some also allow as much as +25% (again Strix OC)

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016

It seems easier than ever to flash Nvidia bios using the nvflashk utility, I think. Just need a modded bios first, with upped power limit... (or possibly the bios from another 4060 model).

Last edited: