News Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX RTX 4060 Low Profile

Gigabyte is creating an RTX 4060 low-profile card: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/g...-be-the-first-low-profile-ada-lovelace-design

3 fans, single 8-pin, 2 slots.

Pie in the sky, but would love to see an RTX 4060ti (or more crazy RTX 4070) model at some point.

___

16/01/2023 Addendum

ASUS now has a 4060 Low Profile card.
188mm, triple fan.

___

19/04/2024 Addendum

Galax has a card
182mm, triple fan, but the PCIE cable is at the front which will affect clearance without a custom solution.
Will advise to look for something slightly bigger

Cases these will fit into (double check before you buy, not everything is available):

Lenovo P3/P360 ULTRA - 182mm* - Gigabyte (May require modding)/Adapter Needed
ZS A4DC V3 - 182mm* - Gigabyte (May require modding)
ZS D2 (D Config) - 182mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Possible PCIE cable issue)
Gemcase C9 - 182mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Possible PCIE cable issue)
Lone Industries L5 - 185mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Custom_Mod SL3 STL 4.8L Rev.1 - 185mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
n3rdware Yocto - 185mm** (Guidance rather than a limit) - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
n3rdware Yocto+ - 185mm** Guidance rather than a limit) - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
ZS D2 V2 - 186mm - Gigabyte/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Custom_Mod Case MINI LP edit. - 190mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
J-Hack Pure MK2 - 190mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (Consider PCIE adapter)
Lazer3D HT5 - 194mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Lazer3D Cravo - 195mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
CAPTAIN CASE V9 - 208mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
REVOCCASES N0RDR1 Nano EVO - 210mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Metalfish 2 Plus - 210mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
LZmod A24-V5 V2.0 - 220mm- Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Silverstone Milo ML03 - 223mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Silverstone Milo ML04 - 223mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX
Metalfish G5 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
Bug C1 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
SKTC A10 - 245mm*** - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX (MATX Board width)
Silverstone Milo ML11 - 272mm - Gigabyte/ASUS/GALAX

Last edited:

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
According to the tests within an article on this site, it's very close to the 3060Ti with often better 1% lows and sometimes even surpassing it in games. Adding the utilization of DLSS3 and FrameGen will probably elevate this futher. The card was also an ITX model (Zotac Solo) with much more impressive temps as well within the same form factor. That power to exist even in a low profile-form seems pretty awesome.

Reactions: Arboreal

kolmio

What's an ITX?
New User
Feb 22, 2022
I have a Silverstone ML09.
To fit this GPU in, I'll have to remove USB 3 and audio ports from the side of the case. All because of the extra 15 mm length extra to common 170 mm for LP GPUs.

Then I'll have a problem where to put them. I hoped to find some holders for the 5.25 slim ODD bay, but didn't find any. There are lots of stuff for normal 5.25 bay and nothing for slim one.

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Aug 17, 2019
I have a Silverstone ML09.
To fit this GPU in, I'll have to remove USB 3 and audio ports from the side of the case. All because of the extra 15 mm length extra to common 170 mm for LP GPUs.

Then I'll have a problem where to put them. I hoped to find some holders for the 5.25 slim ODD bay, but didn't find any. There are lots of stuff for normal 5.25 bay and nothing for slim one.
I was actually thinking about getting this card for my ML09 build myself. Doing some measurements, it seems like you can just fit the card in the system without removing the USB/audio ports if you deshroud the GPU.

Which actually brings up my own question: would installing two 25mm-thick 80mm fans into an ML09 work well enough to cool a deshrouded RTX 4060? Or do they need to be fastened to the GPU directly to have a shot at cooling it? I've never deshrouded a graphics card before, so I don't know how much each extra mm between the fans and GPU would matter for sufficient cooling.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Which actually brings up my own question: would installing two 25mm-thick 80mm fans into an ML09 work well enough to cool a deshrouded RTX 4060? Or do they need to be fastened to the GPU directly to have a shot at cooling it? I've never deshrouded a graphics card before, so I don't know how much each extra mm between the fans and GPU would matter for sufficient cooling.

Deshrouding this RTX4060 has not been very useful for our testers, here with 80mm fans:
You should attached the fans on the GPU heatsink, as far as possible to the case panel to avoid turbulence.

Silverstone FPS01?

It doesn't offer audio ports though, but you could use some USB to audio jack adapter.

Reactions: rfarmer

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Aug 17, 2019
Deshrouding this RTX4060 has not been very useful for our testers, here with 80mm fans:
You should attached the fans on the GPU heatsink, as far as possible to the case panel to avoid turbulence.
To respond to the second part first: After inserting 25mm-thick 80mm fans, there'd be less than 5mm space between the side of the ML09 and the deshrouded GPU, maybe as little as 2mm. The reason I asked that is because I didn't know if the more convenient route of just screwing the fans into the case normally would be noticeably different from attaching them to the GPU given such a short distance. If even a couple of millimeters makes a difference, then that's good to know.

As for the first thing: Are the Arctic P8 Max fans used in that example the best 80mm x 25mm fans for effectively cooling a GPU? I didn't know if those or Noctua NF-A8 PWMs would do a better job at keeping the GPU cooler, or if there was something even better than those two options. And even if those temperatures are "worse", would they still be usable without worrying about overheating? For the desired use cases of my build, I'd really prefer to keep both the USB/audio ports and the disc drive slot. If that's not feasible for the ML09, then the whole thing would be a nonstarter for me and I'd be more inclined to either buy a new case or make a custom one myself. Because it certainly doesn't look like there's gonna be a shorter, semi-powerful consumer low profile GPU released in the near future.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
To respond to the second part first: After inserting 25mm-thick 80mm fans, there'd be less than 5mm space between the side of the ML09 and the deshrouded GPU, maybe as little as 2mm. The reason I asked that is because I didn't know if the more convenient route of just screwing the fans into the case normally would be noticeably different from attaching them to the GPU given such a short distance. If even a couple of millimeters makes a difference, then that's good to know.

As for the first thing: Are the Arctic P8 Max fans used in that example the best 80mm x 25mm fans for effectively cooling a GPU? I didn't know if those or Noctua NF-A8 PWMs would do a better job at keeping the GPU cooler, or if there was something even better than those two options. And even if those temperatures are "worse", would they still be usable without worrying about overheating? For the desired use cases of my build, I'd really prefer to keep both the USB/audio ports and the disc drive slot. If that's not feasible for the ML09, then the whole thing would be a nonstarter for me and I'd be more inclined to either buy a new case or make a custom one myself. Because it certainly doesn't look like there's gonna be a shorter, semi-powerful consumer low profile GPU released in the near future.
It'll make a bigger difference to reducing turbulence but also you lose a lot of the pressure if there's too much space between where air can be pushed. I'd suggest if you were to go this route to at least have a duct or DIY shroud to ensure your airflow is going to the right place.

That said, everyone I've seen that has de-shrouded this card has returned it back to stock as there was a noticeable impact on cooling performance and significant enough reduction in noise.

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Aug 17, 2019
It'll make a bigger difference to reducing turbulence but also you lose a lot of the pressure if there's too much space between where air can be pushed. I'd suggest if you were to go this route to at least have a duct or DIY shroud to ensure your airflow is going to the right place.

That said, everyone I've seen that has de-shrouded this card has returned it back to stock as there was a noticeable impact on cooling performance and significant enough reduction in noise.
Thanks for the response, that's good info to know in the future if I ever consider deshrouding a GPU.

Doesn't look like it'll be this time, though. And I think I'm fine with that. I have to upgrade pretty much every part in my PC, anyways, so I may as well change cases, too.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Would there be any interest in a 170mm set for this card? I'm cooking something up that uses a custom heatsink along with the original fans and a printed shroud. This could be used along with an 8 pin reverse connector. It's a lot more milling than the A2000 because there are more and larger caps, but I should probably have something ready in 1-2 weeks.

Reactions: rcodi

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Aug 17, 2019
Would there be any interest in a 170mm set for this card? I'm cooking something up that uses a custom heatsink along with the original fans and a printed shroud. This could be used along with an 8 pin reverse connector. It's a lot more milling than the A2000 because there are more and larger caps, but I should probably have something ready in 1-2 weeks.
I know I just said that I'd be good with changing to a case that'll fit this card unmodified... but I can't lie. I'd be real interested to hear how this project turns out! Having even a proof-of-concept 4060 LP that can fit in these smaller cases without modifying the case and be cooled decently would be great.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Show us a PoC and give us a rough estimate on pricing Robbee ;)
Would make me much happier if I could use my 4060 on the X300 and have way less wasted space !

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Show us a PoC and give us a rough estimate on pricing Robbee ;)
Would make me much happier if I could use my 4060 on the X300 and have way less wasted space !

Here's what I have at the moment. The concept is very similar to my A2000 heatsink but it uses a 150x50 heatsink to leverage the existing fans. It needs a custom shroud because the initial one is too long and you'll need to use an 8 pin reverse power adapter.

Pricing will probably be similar (70-80 euros). The heatsink is bit cheaper but it requires more milling and there's also the printed part.

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Aug 17, 2019
Here's what I have at the moment. The concept is very similar to my A2000 heatsink but it uses a 150x50 heatsink to leverage the existing fans. It needs a custom shroud because the initial one is too long and you'll need to use an 8 pin reverse power adapter.

Pricing will probably be similar (70-80 euros). The heatsink is bit cheaper but it requires more milling and there's also the printed part.
Looks great! Tight fit for the fans (as expected), but entirely workable. It'd have been nice if the shroud were more like this to begin with.

I thought I'd ask you since you're here: What do you personally think of the performance of the deshrouded RTX 4060 LP with two Noctua NF-A6x5 PWM fans? Is it good enough to you in testing and real-world usage? You've already tested it for yourself, and your Yocto build video guide shows you using a deshrouded 4060. Also, would you think that equivalent 80mm fans would work better or worse than the 60mm ones? Because maybe that could theoretically work well enough for the ML09...

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019

Is this standalone or designed to be integrated like the a2k was with yocto

0liver

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 7, 2021
Ordered mine last week from the US to the UK via Amazon. Including the import fee it came to £311. So happy that this will fit into my Lazer3D HT5. I presume my hdplex 400w hifi dc-atx and 330w dell ac adapter should be enough to run it without any undervolting.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
It's a lot more milling than the A2000 because there are more and larger caps, but I should probably have something ready in 1-2 weeks.

So I have the first results in. Let's start with the production process:

Milling took a long time because there are much more and higher caps than the A2000 has. Over an hour later, I finilly finished, and came back to this:

As you can see, once I got through the baseplate, the fins didn't have enough support to hold them into place and became very janky. I will need to refine my toolpath or production process to get this better. Oh well, for a protoype, it will do.

After some 'cleaning', it looks half decent. At least it fit the card from the first attempt, so that was nice!

Because I hadn't printed a shroud yet but wanted to know how well this heatsink performed, I decided to try it with the original shroud and fans. Let's start with the good news: it didn't throttle! It did require 100% fan speed to keep it at 80C though.

But don't despair, we still have the good old undervolting. Using the same undervolt as before, 2715 MHz at 915 mV, it performed a whole lot better! 75C at 60% fan speed, which was hardly audible and this was outside of my case. So I guess with a mandatory undervolt, this test can be considered a success.

Next step is to print a shroud and figure out a better production process.

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
So I have the first results in. Let's start with the production process:

Milling took a long time because there are much more and higher caps than the A2000 has. Over an hour later, I finilly finished, and came back to this:

As you can see, once I got through the baseplate, the fins didn't have enough support to hold them into place and became very janky. I will need to refine my toolpath or production process to get this better. Oh well, for a protoype, it will do.

After some 'cleaning', it looks half decent. At least it fit the card from the first attempt, so that was nice!

Because I hadn't printed a shroud yet but wanted to know how well this heatsink performed, I decided to try it with the original shroud and fans. Let's start with the good news: it didn't throttle! It did require 100% fan speed to keep it at 80C though.

But don't despair, we still have the good old undervolting. Using the same undervolt as before, 2715 MHz at 915 mV, it performed a whole lot better! 75C at 60% fan speed, which was hardly audible and this was outside of my case. So I guess with a mandatory undervolt, this test can be considered a success.

Next step is to print a shroud and figure out a better production process.
Much want