Prototype Free Flow CPU Pump Block

ToWi1989

Chassis Packer
Aug 26, 2020
First I'll have to compare different quotes because i believe the one I have now is at least 50% too expensive. In the end I might order just a small batch to get a lower price and sell off the other blocks for the productions cost to break even. For sure im not gonna sell for a loss, id rather make a 1 off just for myself in that case.

Reactions: DrHudacris

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
just came here from that same video :D
while i think it is too tall to really compete with the freeflo (its taller than the apogee!) i do like how it has 3 fittings for filling the res. could be a cool feature? or maybe just made redundant by a T fitting, who knows.

Especially in light of GN's recent videos discussing pump positioning in AIO loops, having a dedicated small area as a pseudo-reservoir like this Barrow pumpblock should ensure the pump never ingest any significant amount of air bubbles (as well as making it trivial to remedy if the situation does occur). I think this block would make a great option (assuming there is adequate clearance for it, even with low profile fittings, 72mm is still quite tall)

ToWi1989

Chassis Packer
Aug 26, 2020
Is there any new info on the development of this part?

This was based on a batch of 10 parts, after that the price drop was very minimal. Whenever the design is truely finished I might check for interest on the forums.

I've been in contact with another company, and prices seem much more interesting at first sight (especially for larger batches). I've contacted a company to 3D print the first proto, the EKWB cold plate and various springs and bolts are ordered. When the 3D print has been checked i will order a first full POM sample as a machined part. Pics are here

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
It is a little bit difficult to tell from the photos. Is the flow pattern the right way around (i.e. pump outlet going straight to the jet plate?). From here it looks a little bit like you're designing a reverse flow pumpblock (i.e. water is sucked through the slit in the jetplate), which is not the optimal flowpath recommended by EK.

ToWi1989

Chassis Packer
Aug 26, 2020
Water is pushed from the DDC outlets on 2 sides through the center of the jet plate. Water will flow around and out of the block. I added a picture to show more detail

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
Is there any new info on the development of this part?

I've been in contact with another company, and prices seem much more interesting at first sight (especially for larger batches). I've contacted a company to 3D print the first proto, the EKWB cold plate and various springs and bolts are ordered. When the 3D print has been checked i will order a first full POM sample as a machined part. Pics are here

Any chance you can start your own thread for your project instead of posting in @Wahaha360 project thread.

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Noticed it has a product listing on the website now. Guess we're getting closer to the final product.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
@Nouvolo Aquanaut will most likely launch before this project.

I think this type of block really could use a Reservoir built in to make it easier for people. That's the game changer on the Barrow block. The trick is that both POM and Acrylic is too weak to allow the thin walls necessary for the 48mm height limit. I'm thinking maybe just making the whole thing out stainless or copper to integrate reservoir.

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

I think this type of block really could use a Reservoir built in to make it easier for people. That's the game changer on the Barrow block. The trick is that both POM and Acrylic is too weak to allow the thin walls necessary for the 48mm height limit. I'm thinking maybe just making the whole thing out stainless or copper to integrate reservoir.

Venetian blown glass, it's the only way...!

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com

Maybe 2 separate offerings:
  1. Smaller, without reservoir (seasoned SFF'ers will use multi-port rad to fill and bleed the loop)
  2. Bigger/taller, but with reservoir
In an ideal world we will get some to suggest small and with reservoir. Anything less than 200ml for reservoir will not be very useful. Unless we can collapse space-time, that 200ml will be additional space created.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019

I think it will be a struggle to have anything bigger than a few tens of mililitres while still fitting into the socket area (probably at most 30-40ml, which I think is still useful for keeping the pump fed and avoid having any voids/air bubbles in the pump inlet like the recent GN video pointed out).

I also think that if a reservoir is to be integrated, it would benefit from letting users see the water level, so while making the whole cavity out of acrylic/POM is not feasible like you said, maybe having an acrylic top sheet or insert on top of steel/copper body could be possible.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Maybe 2 separate offerings:
  1. Smaller, without reservoir (seasoned SFF'ers will use multi-port rad to fill and bleed the loop)
  2. Bigger/taller, but with reservoir
In an ideal world we will get some to suggest small and with reservoir. Anything less than 200ml for reservoir will not be very useful. Unless we can collapse space-time, that 200ml will be additional space created.

this
Maybe an additionnal inlet where we could plug a hardline tube bended upwards ? Like a T-line reservoir style ?

what I really like about the Barrow pump block is not the RGB but the 3rd port, and it is in a convenient location too to use as drain/fill port. sure there are multi-port rads but the most popular ones in the T1 aren't - TX240, EK Classic SE 240, Alphacool ST25.

samyope

Chassis Packer
Aug 16, 2019
I used my Eisbaer LT like this, with a small soft tubing protusion coming out of the 3rd port 5/6cm and used it as a tiny res.

Reactions: eedev

Nykwil

Cable Smoosher
Sep 11, 2020
The pumps are ready!!
BTW, the Bitspower Touchaqua S1 PMW is the loudest pump of the DDC types! And is taller!

How loud would you say the Bitspower Touchaqua pump is compared to others and would you say the noise is controllable in bios? Btw been following your build, great source of information in my research.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
How loud would you say the Bitspower Touchaqua pump is compared to others and would you say the noise is controllable in bios? Btw been following your build, great source of information in my research.
It was TERRIBLE! Very high pitch compared even to the LAING 3.25 PMW. The best one until now IMO is the LAING T1 plus PMW. I keep it between 25 and 50%!