Diesel Engine (ITX / SFF / Console) - COMPLETE!

Chris Howell

Trash Compacter
Jan 17, 2016
44
122
Reading
Brassy McBrassface from Brassville​


I ordered some cut-to-measure brass sheet for my panels and they arrived while I was waiting for my wood dye to dry. I ordered two thicknesses (1mm and 2mm) to see how they would fare asthetically and structurally. I was conscious the 1mm might be way too bendy.


My brass sheets! 2mm on the left. 1mm on the right
zZU8Irhl.jpg


The 1mm looked cheaper in appearance and wasn't the same grade as the 2mm.
I chose to scrap the thinner material and begin work on the 2mm

5NPaPJPl.jpg



I started by sanding the sharp edges of each panel. They had been guillotine cut and had blemishes and nicks.
I then began using ebrasive paper to polish each sheet. I had 120, 240, 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000 papers

S4bLtxXl.jpg


I can't remember what grade this was, 600 maybe.
IZsP0NMl.jpg


This was 1000
KJoSjGjl.jpg


And the 2000 grit
tm5A4Vwl.jpg


A before and after comparison
L1SL3Tal.jpg


All three after the work had been done
dwKdzStl.jpg


These guys need to go through a mill to engrave the name into the front panel, then they'll get some antiquing treatment before being fixed to the shell. Very cool! The material itself looks great when working with it.
 

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
747
660
US
Very nice!

I was never good at staining wood. I like the later versions if your stained wood vs the 1st.
 

Chris Howell

Trash Compacter
Jan 17, 2016
44
122
Reading
YKORGbe.png


Supports + Brackets​

So - I spent a bunch of time trying to get the front panel I/O assembly right and trying to get the USBs and power button to line up perfectly. I changed the design a few times after trying different options that appeared OK in the 3D model but had movement when built for real.

I also designed a few pieces to form a bracket that pins the PCI-E Riser to the bottom of the case and also supports the furthest end of the graphics card.



Remember this? it turns out, the smallest stand-offs I could find (5.5mm) were too big.
Additionally, I found that attaching the cables via the back of the connectors and then
bending the cable into place was swiveling the front of the USB out of place!

hoyU2VNl.jpg



So I came up with a design that provided more support and sandwiched the USBs together.
3mm acrylic sheet in the middle and 4mm sheet on the bottom. Secured with a single 30mm PC case screw

eZEM8uSl.jpg


It wasn't a big deal to create the shape in CAD and go through some trial and error
if the thickness wasn't perfect first time

GvdOnHul.jpg


And.... assembled. Looks like this is going to work
qsPOiIsl.jpg


I may also finish the assembly with 3M tape or adhesive to align the pieces together
PBW2pOel.jpg



Here are the pieces I created for the PCI-E cable bracket
Yh3D9Z0l.jpg


A test fit using an old cable. Looks like they will do the job
2ZzZBl4l.jpg


The thick strip will be covered in self-adhesive foam strip (3mm thick) to stop the screws from interfering
with the Graphics card and also provide support

AuPLU4cl.jpg



That's all I have for now. I've been waiting to get access to a milling machine to get the brass sheets engraved. I also need to sort out some finances and then I'll order all the components :) Soon!...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Phuncz and Soul_Est

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
3,243
2,361
Germany
freilite.com
Great progress!

Aren't you highly compromising signal quality by screwing through the USB3.0 connectors? Or make them unusable in the first place? Maybe you've already mentioned it.

Good idea about supporting the GPU in the front a little bit, especially with the screws underneath it. Why do you only do that for the front screws? Wouldn't the ones at the back interfere just as much?
 

Minefoxi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 8, 2015
146
68
Germany
www.youtube.com
I really like this project a lot and I have to say that, in my opinion, it is the nicest and most interesting "console style case" so far!
Mabye it's because I also really like the lasercut wooden stuff (like my own case) :D
 

Chris Howell

Trash Compacter
Jan 17, 2016
44
122
Reading
@Minefoxi - Thanks! I appreciate the feedback (and the appreciation of wood :D)

@iFreilicht - You make a good point. I didn't describe it very well. The front IO is taken from a basic off-the-shelf product where the USB connectors are screwed into a 3.5" bracket for the front of a PC. I've just used the same holes to mount them in a different way and scrapped the bracket entirely.

So, the holes are included in the manufacture of the part. I actually sent them an email and asked for the dimensions and size of the part and screw holes when I designed the bracket and the steel case shell. So I worked from the dimensions for quite a while before I ordered the cable - thankfully it mostly worked out as planned.

I6352ICl.jpg



In other news - I've almost given up waiting for the milling machine to not be broken, so I've ordered some metal engraving bits and will engrave the name by hand into the brass. After that, I'll order the parts :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: iFreilicht

Chris Howell

Trash Compacter
Jan 17, 2016
44
122
Reading
Finishing the Brass Panels​

After waiting for a little while to get access to a milling machine, I decided to grab some engraving bits for the Dremel and do it myself. I already had my font and the antiquing fluid to finish the panels. So here goes...



I used a paper template to guide my engraving
AdD7MFSl.jpg


The engraving bit set that I had ordered. Worth noting that this is a first time for me
2nGNg4Al.jpg


Mid-progress
2FitPqtl.jpg


And when result when I was done. Fairly happy with my frst attempt. I'ts reasonably neat!
D6TklPrl.jpg


I quite like the contrast of the polished panel against the rough text
wIY3hBQl.jpg


When I was done, I moved onto antiquing the panels with this stuff
JN1e9Udl.jpg


I filled a baking dish with a 1/10 solution of fluid and water.
this shows the panels just as I added them in

cCKoTG3l.jpg


The panels after 2 minutes
Zeeqt4yl.jpg


The panels after 5 minutes! They went dark super quickly
Pm9meBhl.jpg


This is what they looked like straight out of the solution. And actually the colour is totally awesome. This would be perfect for some kind of destroyed/apocalyptic style build
MwBNJPcl.jpg


gBxZA6ml.jpg


I returned the next day and found a lot of the cool colour had flaked off, leavng a black and copper style colour
kxfao39l.jpg


ECRZTRwl.jpg


FINALLY - I used steel wool to rub away sections of the surface to reveal the shiny brass underneath
jFwmKs0l.jpg


The colours are washed out in this photo, but here are the side panels. I can't decide if I prefer the weathered panels or the completely polished ones.
j2SeMEdl.jpg


I gave the brass bolts the same treatment. 2 black (left) and 2 after the steel wool (Right)
HF9Drffl.jpg


Next Up - I glued the threaded spacers onto back of the brass panels and left them overnight
SW8zHuWl.jpg


A Close Up
KZvJuL1l.jpg

​
 

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
747
660
US
Very nice!

I've been trying to Dremel out fan holes and IO ports in both wood and plexiglass and it is extremely challenging - yours came out great!

I thought the panels looked best in the first antiquing solution pic.
 

Chris Howell

Trash Compacter
Jan 17, 2016
44
122
Reading
Assembling the case​

With the panels finally ready, I was able to build the case and get it ready to receive components! Very exciting times :)

Let's took a look at the thing assembled for the first time.



The Front view
MlNAfyol.jpg


Left side
yOYNvSPl.jpg


Right Side
JqU90hfl.jpg


Back
fNGezVCl.jpg


Top
f6zmjPwl.jpg


I'm really happy with the crisp edges and how well the panels lined up with the lid and base
7FF01NAl.jpg


6RzmdtSl.jpg


fPrvSsMl.jpg


The slots at the back are begining to call out for components for sure
ykEi34gl.jpg


​

So! - I'm nearly there. I'll be ordering my components very soon. Over all I'm really pleased with how it's looking. The lack of visible screws and simplicity of the panels makes it look like a real console - rather than a PC case conversion. There is also a certain charm that the real brass and real wood have that I can't capture on the camera. The pine still smells great and the thick brass panels are cold to the touch and give the case a really solid feel.

I'm really looking forward to getting some components in there and will update back here soon!.
 

Chris Howell

Trash Compacter
Jan 17, 2016
44
122
Reading
I thought the panels looked best in the first antiquing solution pic.

I think... I agree with you there. I'm definitely going to have another go and experiment further! The colours are awesome.

Also, yeah I/O ports are a pain, they usually need to be quite accurate too. I created USB slots on my previous build with hand tools and found it really tough. Luckily for this project I had some precision machinery to do it for me!
 

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
747
660
US
Since you will be redoing it, have you given any thought to using a letter punch kit for making your Diesel Engine lettering? Don't know what size letters you want, but it feels right for a mix of old school and new school.