Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
A 3080ti will not get released before chinese new year, so the earliest date would be end of february or at the beginning of march
Getting off topic here, but NVIDIA has some big virtual announcement around CES timeframe (late Jan) so maybe a Feb/March launch makes sense. Whether there will be any availability at all is a different question.

TehMoonRulz

Cable Smoosher
Dec 16, 2020
@diceboii13 No problem, I sent an email the other day so we can move the conversation to their. Thanks for your response here as well.

To those running two radiators (non-x-flow) I'd apprecaite seeing how you're doing your setup/tube routing

Reactions: xunilon

xunilon

Chassis Packer
Dec 5, 2019
Getting off topic here, but NVIDIA has some big virtual announcement around CES timeframe (late Jan) so maybe a Feb/March launch makes sense. Whether there will be any availability at all is a different question.
Sad. Maybe I'll just put the CPU on water and keep the 2080 Ti on air for now.

@diceboii13 No problem, I sent an email the other day so we can move the conversation to their. Thanks for your response here as well.

To those running two radiators (non-x-flow) I'd apprecaite seeing how you're doing your setup/tube routing

I second this. Hoping to buy parts soon but not sure how I want to configure everything yet.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
So far, the best tube routing scenario I've come up with, for most GPU blocks where the ports are at the top of the card (As opposed to the end like the EK 3080 FE Block) is:

Side 1: Pump -> long tube to CPU block at back of case -> straight down to U-bend radiator port at rear of case
Side 2: Up from Radiator to GPU block input, out of GPU block up into U-bend radiator port at the front of the case
Back to Side 1: hard fitting chain down from rad to distro plate inlet.

If you were to have a GPU block with the terminal at the end of the card (near the front of the case) you could swap the bottom radiator for an XFlow radiator to move your exit from Side 1 to Side 2 to the opposite corner, thus shortening the tube run there by a lot. But so far I haven't come up with any good way to avoid the tube run from the pump exit, past the PSU, to the CPU block.

NOTE: This flow works if your GPU block is either non-directional (either port can be in or out) or if the inlet port is closer to the IO Bracket like this. If your inlet/outlet orientation is the opposite, just switch out your rads for XFlow rads and wire Side 2 backwards.

xunilon

Chassis Packer
Dec 5, 2019
Thanks, ermac! That sounds like a good setup.

I was playing with the Cable Mod configurator and to my surprise, this case is an option. Not that it affects anything - probably just datamining. Cool to see it as an option nonetheless.

Reactions: D10S

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
Sorry for such a basic question, but I want to be 100% certain.... the inlet holes are at the top of the distro and the outlet is in the lower right corner?

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
One piece of feedback for @diceboii13 - the screws that were included for fastening the motherboard sucked :) The hex ones were too long to properly fasten and the tiny ones were too short to properly hold. If you run a v2, I would definitely recommend screws of more appropriate length as well as instructions for what the different screws are for. I still don't know what half of them are meant to be used for (silver ones)

Reactions: diceboii13

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
Any thoughts about building these types of fitting/extender constructions to better align ports to keep the tubing as straight as possible? I'm using soft tubing so it seems a bit redundant but I'm thinking it might look cleaner. Worried about leaks due to all the extra fittings and the amount of pressure it might put on the ports...

Also, which way are you orienting the fans? All intake, all exhaust, intake+exhaust....?

And finally, I installed fans on the inside as on the pics, but now I'm realizing that will make it harder to swap out fans if needed because I'll need to unscrew the entire radiator to do it. Would placing the fans on the outside be a smarter setup?

Thanks for all the advice so far!

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Any thoughts about building these types of fitting/extender constructions to better align ports to keep the tubing as straight as possible? I'm using soft tubing so it seems a bit redundant but I'm thinking it might look cleaner. Worried about leaks due to all the extra fittings and the amount of pressure it might put on the ports...

Also, which way are you orienting the fans? All intake, all exhaust, intake+exhaust....?

And finally, I installed fans on the inside as on the pics, but now I'm realizing that will make it harder to swap out fans if needed because I'll need to unscrew the entire radiator to do it. Would placing the fans on the outside be a smarter setup?

I think the 2x90 at the bottom to give you a straight run from the pump is a great idea, I may steal that :)

The other one is probably redundant. You have plenty of room there for a 45 degree tube bend going from the CPU down to the Rad.

The reason you put fans on the inside is generally for noise. Having the rad on the outside adds a layer of sound insulation so your fans are less audible outside the case. In this case that does pose its own challenges.

For fan orientation, it depends on your side panel config. If you're doing solid (i.e. glass) panels, then doing bottom intake, top exhaust (or the other way around) is necessary for proper airflow. If you're using vented side panels of some kind, then an all-exhaust config is probably better. This has been proven in other sandwich cases like the Sliger SM570 and 580, where using the vented steel panels with all-exhaust provides the best temps.

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
Really helpful, thanks for that! Agree on one of them being redundant, I can just rotate the fitting in the direction of the rad and I'm 90% there. :) I am fanatical about noise so I'll keep the fans on the inside then. I did set up all the fans to exhaust so I'm on the right track there, but unfortunately I made the mistake of ordering two glass panels. I might just keep one of them open for the time being until dice starts selling whatever extras are left over.

Will post updates/further findings over the weekend!

ThisIsForBruce

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2020

Generally speaking, each 90 fitting increases restriction in the loop. It’s by no means a deal breaker, it’ll still work fine, but you probably want as much pressure heading into the CPU input port as possible. The less restriction you have, the higher the potential flow rate will be. The higher theoretical flow rate lets you keep pump speeds lower and gives you more flow rate headroom.

I guess it also depends on what pump you’re running, and how many blocks and radiators you are going to be pushing water through.

For example, I’m using an MCP35x because it has some of the highest head pressure for a single pump setup. Although, I am running 5 blocks, 2 radiators and a filter.

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
For example, I’m using an MCP35x because it has some of the highest head pressure for a single pump setup. Although, I am running 5 blocks, 2 radiators and a filter.
5 blocks in this case? 😲 How did you fit all that?

I'm using the D5 pump with HWLabs X-Flow radiators which are meant to have very low restriction. I don't plan to have more than two blocks (GPU+CPU) so I think I should be good, but I do intend to run the pump as low as possible so keeping the number of 90 bends to a minimum is probably a good idea.

ThisIsForBruce

Trash Compacter
Mar 25, 2020
5 blocks in this case? 😲 How did you fit all that?

I'm using the D5 pump with HWLabs X-Flow radiators which are meant to have very low restriction. I don't plan to have more than two blocks (GPU+CPU) so I think I should be good, but I do intend to run the pump as low as possible so keeping the number of 90 bends to a minimum is probably a good idea.
3 of the blocks are extremely low restriction/pressure. 2 are VRM blocks and 1 SoC block for the X570 chipset since I am doing lots of work through the IO and I understand this chipset gets hot. I need the VRM blocks because I’m overclocking a 3950x so they throttle otherwise.
X-flow rads will definitely speed up the loop, so you will be fine. HW labs rads are a good choice also. I’m running a HWlabs 280 on the bottom. Good luck with the build.

xunilon

Chassis Packer
Dec 5, 2019
Generally speaking, each 90 fitting increases restriction in the loop. It’s by no means a deal breaker, it’ll still work fine, but you probably want as much pressure heading into the CPU input port as possible. The less restriction you have, the higher the potential flow rate will be. The higher theoretical flow rate lets you keep pump speeds lower and gives you more flow rate headroom.

I guess it also depends on what pump you’re running, and how many blocks and radiators you are going to be pushing water through.

I think you know this, but others might not be aware of the relative restrictions that fittings vs blocks and rads cause.

So, yes 90 degree fittings increase restriction, but not that much. Radiators and water blocks are much more restrictive, check out this EKWB experiment: https://www.ekwb.com/blog/do-angled-adapter-fittings-really-reduce-flow/

EKWB concludes:

The never ending debate on angled adapter fittings can now go to rest. Do angled fittings reduce flow rates? Yes. Will overuse of angled adapter fittings completely kill your flow rates? No. So the next time someone yells at you and tells you that you need to ditch as many angled adapter fittings as you can, just tell them to “keep calm and use the angled adapter fittings”. Compared with all the water blocks and radiators, a few extra angled adapter fittings will go unnoticed in any cooling loop regarding the performance.

Go nuts with the 90 degree fittings.

Reactions: ThisIsForBruce

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
Back to Side 1: hard fitting chain down from rad to distro plate inlet.
Another beginner question, this time about "hard fitting chain". I assume you mean a connection that consists of nothing but fittings? I saw these in some builds but I was always confused about how they are meant to be screwed in considering they are not flexible in any way? Is it through use of rotating fittings at the ends? Would love to know the secret, thanks!

kosta

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 27, 2019
Anyone installed any kind of lighting yet? I just ordered an LED strips from Aquacomputer to plug into the Quadro. The 27cm strip seems like it should fit snuggly along the top or bottom rail.