Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

Thilo

Case Bender
Dec 6, 2019
First of all, this case looks like everything that I ever wanted in a case, but I have a few questions if that's alright!

What happened to the rail-like, seemingly gradual expansion system that was on the first physical prototype?
I didn't read everything on this thread (sorry)
But it's currently in increments?
(small, large, extra-large expand)

I was planning on using 2x 20.5mm thick rads with 4x 15mm thick fans for my next build.
Will I be able to fit that without wasted space or do I have to stick to one of the three expansion sizes?

EDIT: Also would the Base model on the website be able to expand to Extra large double expand size?

Last edited:
Reactions: bricemx

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
First of all, this case looks like everything that I ever wanted in a case, but I have a few questions if that's alright!

What happened to the rail-like, seemingly gradual expansion system that was on the first physical prototype?
I didn't read everything on this thread (sorry)
But it's currently in increments?
(small, large, extra-large expand)

I was planning on using 2x 20.5mm thick rads with 4x 15mm thick fans for my next build.
Will I be able to fit that without wasted space or do I have to stick to one of the three expansion sizes?

EDIT: Also would the Base model on the website be able to expand to Extra large double expand size?
It has a problem, that the expandable panels stick out when the sides expanded. Thats why we need to stay with the fixed ones. So basically you can work with 26-56-72mm spaces. If you have the parts already, it'll be a little bit of wasted space. If not, I recommend you to use min 30mm thick rads with standard 25 fans.

Dont worry, take your questions, I know its hard to read that much! :)

Reactions: Shinken1

Thilo

Case Bender
Dec 6, 2019
It has a problem, that the expandable panels stick out when the sides expanded. Thats why we need to stay with the fixed ones. So basically you can work with 26-56-72mm spaces. If you have the parts already, it'll be a little bit of wasted space. If not, I recommend you to use min 30mm thick rads with standard 25 fans.

Dont worry, take your questions, I know its hard to read that much! :)
Thank you for the clarification!

I'll see what I can do about that empty space, absolutely cannot wait for this case!

• Love
Reactions: diceboii13

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
OP, I got some good news. Check this out! You only have to watch from there. For like 20 seconds. But, he said No to Mjolnir because his 9900k and 2080ti can not optimally run in a Dan a4, Mjolnir, all those cases. He needs a Louqe Ghost s1 with 240mm custom loop and still needs to undervolt the 2080ti. With this FLOW case, he could run them both optimally. Who knows even 16 core chips + 300w GPU should be possible now in double 280mm rad config.

Btw, I do agree JayzTwoCents would do a good job featuring this case with all the loops tools he already has on hand. Then, optimum tech too because he is pretty much go to guy for sff content. I know Mjolnir sent it out to people like Bitwit. If cost and prototype cost is too much definitely try to aim for those two. I would still prefer the Optimum Tech video but JayzTwoCents video I feel would cover a lot about pumps, rads, tubing and a bunch of custom loop configs I am not familiar with.

Currently, I am running a 9900k + 2080 both undervolted in a Louqe Ghost s1. Best option I have is 240 aio for cpu to get that 5ghz. Already delid + liquid metal + copper IHS. I get low to mid 60s for both in game. I am happy with that XS config. But, for a loop potential of intel answer to 3950x and higher end gpus. I am so glad I found this case. Also, really appreciate the modularity without the need of spending $50 for each top hat that is never readily available and batch revisions color mismatch. If I do a loop it would be in this case. I simply don't see the point of going back to ATX. Plus, a loop in a thermaltake p series would be too generic.

Question: Can i purchase that optional front panel fan mod with this case? Then simply swap between distro plate and front fan air cooled or aio config or do I need to purchase two separate cases? Also, my favorite part of the louqe is all the 3d printed mods people keep coming up with to improve the temps, design, vertical stand whatever. If we could do something similar here not that there is a need but it would be nice. Also, don't see much point to the sidearmd t1 if I can get this because I still maintain the ability of air cooling and ability to custom loop all in one case.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I used to really like Kyle’s channel, but over the last year I feel like his content has gotten very stale, and to me he seems less excited about his content. However, I’m fully in favor of you sending Ali at OptimumTech a prototype, as well as JayzTwoCents. It’s a no brainer to send one to Ali, but Jay could finally find the ITX case he thought he’d never find in Flow. If he turned you down, it’d be b/c Louqe ruined his boutique SFF case experience forever since they led him along for so long, and the build turned out less than he imagined it would. I bet he’d be into this one, though! He’d be crazy not to! :)

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
I used to really like Kyle’s channel, but over the last year I feel like his content has gotten very stale, and to me he seems less excited about his content. However, I’m fully in favor of you sending Ali at OptimumTech a prototype, as well as JayzTwoCents. It’s a no brainer to send one to Ali, but Jay could finally find the ITX case he thought he’d never find in Flow. If he turned you down, it’d be b/c Louqe ruined his boutique SFF case experience forever since they led him along for so long, and the build turned out less than he imagined it would. I bet he’d be into this one, though! He’d be crazy not to! :)
LoL, I just meant I wouldn't want a guy with a leaky 'hotline' loop to be the main guy to feature this 'FLOW' case.

Reactions: Brude27

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
OP, I got some good news. Check this out! You only have to watch from there. For like 20 seconds. But, he said No to Mjolnir because his 9900k and 2080ti can not optimally run in a Dan a4, Mjolnir, all those cases. He needs a Louqe Ghost s1 with 240mm custom loop and still needs to undervolt the 2080ti. With this FLOW case, he could run them both optimally. Who knows even 16 core chips + 300w GPU should be possible now in double 280mm rad config.

Btw, I do agree JayzTwoCents would do a good job featuring this case with all the loops tools he already has on hand. Then, optimum tech too because he is pretty much go to guy for sff content. I know Mjolnir sent it out to people like Bitwit. If cost and prototype cost is too much definitely try to aim for those two. I would still prefer the Optimum Tech video but JayzTwoCents video I feel would cover a lot about pumps, rads, tubing and a bunch of custom loop configs I am not familiar with.

Currently, I am running a 9900k + 2080 both undervolted in a Louqe Ghost s1. Best option I have is 240 aio for cpu to get that 5ghz. Already delid + liquid metal + copper IHS. I get low to mid 60s for both in game. I am happy with that XS config. But, for a loop potential of intel answer to 3950x and higher end gpus. I am so glad I found this case. Also, really appreciate the modularity without the need of spending $50 for each top hat that is never readily available and batch revisions color mismatch. If I do a loop it would be in this case. I simply don't see the point of going back to ATX. Plus, a loop in a thermaltake p series would be too generic.

Question: Can i purchase that optional front panel fan mod with this case? Then simply swap between distro plate and front fan air cooled or aio config or do I need to purchase two separate cases? Also, my favorite part of the louqe is all the 3d printed mods people keep coming up with to improve the temps, design, vertical stand whatever. If we could do something similar here not that there is a need but it would be nice. Also, don't see much point to the sidearmd t1 if I can get this because I still maintain the ability of air cooling and ability to custom loop all in one case.
Yeah, I checked this video, and Mjolnir is a really nice case, but it has really thick panels, and thats can be a source of thermal limits. Its not for the highest end components, but its an art! I really love their design and aesthetic.

I talked Ali, and he really want to try put his system to the flow, so I have high hopes! The reason why I didnt wanna send the case to others, is the limited time. Ali can make videos faster, than Jay or anybody else. Jay had a lot project going on, and it takes months to make a review about our case. Maybe before the second banch.

You can purchase anything you want! I gonna update the webshop soon! And these 3D printed accessories are a really good idea, we can do it but I hope cnc machined :p

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
@diceboii13 So the watercooling bug has bitten me bad. It was so fun putting this together I really really want to move it into your case with dual 280s. Just another user waiting with baited breath.

EDIT: So I'm here planning my loop (at 12:20AM on a Monday, god help me), and I'm wondering - would a single 90 degree fitting bend from the bottom or the top of the distro plate be able to make it into a 280mm radiator directly next to it? It will be a very tight bend to go straight into a radiator. Looking at the location of the distro plate openings inside the case, the bottom seems much more towards the side of the case than the upper ones. Do you have final measurements of the distro plate for us to work from?

Last edited:

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
EDIT: So I'm here planning my loop (at 12:20AM on a Monday, god help me), and I'm wondering - would a single 90 degree fitting bend from the bottom or the top of the distro plate be able to make it into a 280mm radiator directly next to it? It will be a very tight bend to go straight into a radiator. Looking at the location of the distro plate openings inside the case, the bottom seems much more towards the side of the case than the upper ones. Do you have final measurements of the distro plate for us to work from?

Hope this can help ?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Hope this can help ?

Fantastic, thank you. So that's the upper fitting going into a top radiator? Is that with 2 extensions and 2 rotatable 45 degree fittings? Is that going into a 280 or 240 rad? Is that the pump-side inlet or the other side? EDIT: What brand of fittings?

Reactions: bricemx and D10S

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
@diceboii13 So the watercooling bug has bitten me bad. It was so fun putting this together I really really want to move it into your case with dual 280s. Just another user waiting with baited breath.

So I planned the outlets in the distro to fit with basic 240 rads (not this crazy X flow ones, but some tweeking it can fit). If you "draw a line" from the distro holes to the rad holes its about maximum 1-2mm difference between them vertically, and you can change the distance by moving the rad back and forth. So its all on you how you gonna make it. Its a learning curve what you like more.

Here is with a 240:

And with the 280 (with that 45 fittings are recommended I think):

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
So I planned the outlets in the distro to fit with basic 240 rads (not this crazy X flow ones, but some tweeking it can fit). If you "draw a line" from the distro holes to the rad holes its about maximum 1-2mm difference between them vertically, and you can change the distance by moving the rad back and forth. So its all on you how you gonna make it. Its a learning curve what you like more.
Thanks so much for those pictures! Between that and what @D10S posted I think I'll go with the dual rotary 45s and some short extensions and hope for the best.

With a dual U-bend 280 setup, there's basically two routes that are possible (or at least that make sense).
1) Distro Outlet -> CPU Block -> Bottom Rad -> GPU Block -> Top Rad -> Distro Inlet
2) Distro Outlet -> Bottom Rad -> GPU Block -> Top Rad -> CPU Block -> Distro Inlet

Both of them involve a tube coming all the way up from the floor to the GPU Block, the question is whether that tube is better close to the IO or closer to the Distro plate. I tend to think closer to the Distro would be better.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
Thanks so much for those pictures! Between that and what @D10S posted I think I'll go with the dual rotary 45s and some short extensions and hope for the best.

With a dual U-bend 280 setup, there's basically two routes that are possible (or at least that make sense).
1) Distro Outlet -> CPU Block -> Bottom Rad -> GPU Block -> Top Rad -> Distro Inlet
2) Distro Outlet -> Bottom Rad -> GPU Block -> Top Rad -> CPU Block -> Distro Inlet

Both of them involve a tube coming all the way up from the floor to the GPU Block, the question is whether that tube is better close to the IO or closer to the Distro plate. I tend to think closer to the Distro would be better.
Exactly what I think! The only thing I fear a bit, are mobos with large IO shield. The tubes can be routed anyways, but will be harder.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Exactly what I think! The only thing I fear a bit, are mobos with large IO shield. The tubes can be routed anyways, but will be harder.
Well I'll buy enough fittings and crap to try both ways and see which ones makes more sense. End of the day it's the same thing either way, it's just whatever tube routing is easier to do. So now it's just waiting until... January? Whenever preorders open...

• Love