Stalled DICE CASES - FLOW : expandable SFF case for watercooling enthusiast (built in distroplate)

Magz

Chassis Packer
Jun 29, 2019
Got my shipment notification yesterday. Be sure to check your junk mail folder.

Only thing that has me worried is that the tracking website says the final destination is the United States. Assuming that is an error on the website - Don't think I can get from the UK to the US to pick up the case ?

TheBigG

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
My junk mail folder is empty. From which address you got the mail?
Only thing that has me worried is that the tracking website says the final destination is the United States. Assuming that is an error on the website - Don't think I can get from the UK to the US to pick up the case ?
That would be sad indeed if it would go to the US.

Magz

Chassis Packer
Jun 29, 2019
My junk mail folder is empty. From which address you got the mail?

That would be sad indeed if it would go to the US.

The email was from contact @ dicecases.com and the subject of the email is "MPL csomag szállítási információ" which google translates to "MPL packet shipping information".

Reactions: TheBigG

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Sep 18, 2019

I can pick it up for you ?

MiniMe

Trash Compacter
Nov 25, 2017

That's not an error, in a lot of cases when shipping international the case is handled by multiple couriers so the destination showing US is probably the final destination for the first courier before being handed over where the info will then update.

Reactions: Magz

TheBigG

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
That's not an error, in a lot of cases when shipping international the case is handled by multiple couriers so the destination showing US is probably the final destination for the first courier before being handed over where the info will then update.
I can ensure you that inner EU shipping is not going over the US.

And I'm still waiting for my shipping confirmation ?

222Rn

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 20, 2020
@diceboii13 Just to make sure the PCI-E riser is 30cm long and with straight socket at the end like in the link You provided previously?
Also still waiting for shipping notification, any updates on progress of shiping?

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
So, I've taken my time. But I got the first part of my project finished:

Hardware:

Ryzen 5 1600X
Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WIFI
Crucial Ballistix 32Gb 3200MHz CL 16
MSI Gaming X GTX 1060
Samsung 960 Pro 1 Tb
Crucial MX500 2 Tb
Corsair SF450 Gold

Cooling
NexXxos ST30 2x
EK-Velocity Copper + Acrylic
Alphacool Eispumpe VPP775
11/8mm tubing
NF-A14 PWM 4x

Modding
MDPC Cable Sleeving Cappucino
Custom Made all powercables
Re-sleeved and shortened power button
Eispumpe got a Type 4 Corsair plug

To-Do
Self-Made 4 to 1 PWM-cable
After that connecting the speed/sensor cable from the Eispumpe
Switching the screws to black torx screws (already ordered)
RX 6800 XT watercooled, when available and normal priced
Possibly a 2426 from TheHack
Perhaps finding a way for a custom PSU to backplate cable with plug installed. I dislike the connection inside the case.
Possibly a LED-strip for the front
Possibly hard-tubing when the RX 6800 comes

Problems
  1. I might have found a design flaw of the case. When using a motherboard with a front 24-pin you can only install the PSU in one way, otherwise you won't be able to install the 24-pin connector. The room between the PSU and mainboard isn't enough. A few millimeter more for the next iteration should solve the problem. I wanted to use the 2427 from J-Hack, but that was impossible due to these restrictions.
  2. The flow meter wasn't moving the first to times I installed the distro. After loosening the screws while the system was on it started moving. Seems the friction between the rough distro surface and the wheel is too much.
  3. Bubbles keep adhering to the distro plate, not a functional problem, more of a esthetic issue
  4. When starting the system, the pump goes in high speed for a few seconds resulting in air from the distro being sucked into the system again. That way it seems near impossible to me to get an air free system. Does anyone have the same problem?
Installing the system wasn't very hard. But it required quite some planning or the patience to take parts apart several times. The case isn't as forgiving as the big space might suggest. A detailed manual or installation guide (e.g. like the DAN A4 has) would be nice. I'm quite satisfied with the end-product and regularly see myself stopping to be productive and just enjoy the look of the bubbling water 😁. All in all, very nice work DICE. With some enhancements for the next version this might become perfect. Additionally the support was very good and fast (got some damages when the case arrived)
The next weeks I'll start some tuning of the system, like UV the 1600X, trying stopping the fans when idling, stabilizing the RAM timings (got some re-boots).

Questions? Fire away!

PS: Installing the 2,5' SSD works perfectly this way!

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I might have found a design flaw of the case. When using a motherboard with a front 24-pin you can only install the PSU in one way, otherwise you won't be able to install the 24-pin connector. The room between the PSU and mainboard isn't enough. A few millimeter more for the next iteration should solve the problem. I wanted to use the 2427 from J-Hack, but that was impossible due to these restrictions.
This is concerning I had the same plan. You said you can only install the PSU "one way" - what did you mean exactly? Would having a 3-slot config for CPU side fix this?

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
You can install the PSU with the connectors facing up or down. In both orientations you can install the PSU slightly more upwards or downwards in the case. Correct me if I'm wrong @diceboii13
The only way I could reach the opening mechanism of the 24-pin was installing the PSU as seen above. Moving the mounting holes of the PSU slightly to the front of the case would probably solve this problem. In my use case there would be nothing in the way to prevent this.

But perhaps I've made a mistake and Dice can shed a light on this?

TL"DR 2- or 3-slot shouldn't have any effect on this.

Reactions: diceboii13

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
My TG panel holes did line up fine. The vented panels not a 100%. When taking the hole case apart I had several holes which didn't line up perfectly. The metal sheets seem to have some tolerance. But there were no problems which would have made installation impossible.
GPU fitting was fine after I moved the riser a bit. The mounting of the riser allows for some adjustment.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
@diceboii13 Just to make sure the PCI-E riser is 30cm long and with straight socket at the end like in the link You provided previously?
Also still waiting for shipping notification, any updates on progress of shiping?
Yes, it is!

Ill ship the rest of them thursday (excluding some failed parts I find, and have to replace. I think its 6 cases). I run out of packing material, and it take more than a week to get the foam, and bubble wrap. The country is going crazy in this pandemic. Anyways, the shipping seems slowed down, I contacted with them and they told me the shipping time can be a week, or 2-3 weeks depending on the destination. To the US its around a week but inside Europe its much longer, I dont know why.

diceboii13

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
dicecases.com
So, I've taken my time. But I got the first part of my project finished:

Hardware:

Ryzen 5 1600X
Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WIFI
Crucial Ballistix 32Gb 3200MHz CL 16
MSI Gaming X GTX 1060
Samsung 960 Pro 1 Tb
Crucial MX500 2 Tb
Corsair SF450 Gold

Cooling
NexXxos ST30 2x
EK-Velocity Copper + Acrylic
Alphacool Eispumpe VPP775
11/8mm tubing
NF-A14 PWM 4x

Modding
MDPC Cable Sleeving Cappucino
Custom Made all powercables
Re-sleeved and shortened power button
Eispumpe got a Type 4 Corsair plug

To-Do
Self-Made 4 to 1 PWM-cable
After that connecting the speed/sensor cable from the Eispumpe
Switching the screws to black torx screws (already ordered)
RX 6800 XT watercooled, when available and normal priced
Possibly a 2426 from TheHack
Perhaps finding a way for a custom PSU to backplate cable with plug installed. I dislike the connection inside the case.
Possibly a LED-strip for the front
Possibly hard-tubing when the RX 6800 comes

Problems
  1. I might have found a design flaw of the case. When using a motherboard with a front 24-pin you can only install the PSU in one way, otherwise you won't be able to install the 24-pin connector. The room between the PSU and mainboard isn't enough. A few millimeter more for the next iteration should solve the problem. I wanted to use the 2427 from J-Hack, but that was impossible due to these restrictions.
  2. The flow meter wasn't moving the first to times I installed the distro. After loosening the screws while the system was on it started moving. Seems the friction between the rough distro surface and the wheel is too much.
  3. Bubbles keep adhering to the distro plate, not a functional problem, more of a esthetic issue
  4. When starting the system, the pump goes in high speed for a few seconds resulting in air from the distro being sucked into the system again. That way it seems near impossible to me to get an air free system. Does anyone have the same problem?
Installing the system wasn't very hard. But it required quite some planning or the patience to take parts apart several times. The case isn't as forgiving as the big space might suggest. A detailed manual or installation guide (e.g. like the DAN A4 has) would be nice. I'm quite satisfied with the end-product and regularly see myself stopping to be productive and just enjoy the look of the bubbling water 😁. All in all, very nice work DICE. With some enhancements for the next version this might become perfect. Additionally the support was very good and fast (got some damages when the case arrived)
The next weeks I'll start some tuning of the system, like UV the 1600X, trying stopping the fans when idling, stabilizing the RAM timings (got some re-boots).

Questions? Fire away!

PS: Installing the 2,5' SSD works perfectly this way!
Really good looking build!

To answer your problems, it may help you a bit:
1: Yes its true and I thinked about it when I was designing the case. The problem is the pump. There are a lot of different pumps in the market I have to make sure there is enough space for them even in 2 slot variants. The tolerance between the PSU and the pump is really close in 2 slot setups with slightly bigger pumps, thats why I also added some 5mm spacers to the package, that can lift the distro forward a bit. But maybe a bit longer case can make it work.

2: The flow meter is flipped as I saw in the picture. 😁 There is some bumps in the flowmeter to prevent touching with the sides, but if its flipped, one of the side has 2 times bigger space and the other can touch the inside wall of the channel. If the issue is still there losing the screws a bit can solve it.

3: Yes in distroplates its a common issue, but I think if you are filling the distro almost full it can solve this issue at least a bit.

4: Maybe you have some air stucked inside the pump hole. You can roatate it a bit to let the air goes through the flowmeter, and return into the top of the distro, after going through the system. But filling the distro up to the maximum can solve this issue to. Lets give it a try.

Anyways its a sick looking setup I hope you will enjoy it! 😁

Reactions: D10S