Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Just received mine in the mail in Canada! Somehow didn't get dinged customs (I swear grsychckn, I hope you didn't pre-pay custom fees because that's totally unnecessary.)

Some terrible pics:

Won't be building in it for a bit, still deciding whether to go 8700k or R7 1700 (have both on me though). If I go 1700 it'll be a bit longer of a wait for the C7 AM4 brackets.

Build quality--awesome. Aluminum doesn't feel *quite* as good as the Ncase M1 but it is leaps and bounds over the junk you get from mainstream cases.

Grsychckn has really went overboard on the extras he includes. It's ridiculous how much value you're getting out of your purchase, and I would argue that he's cutting into his profit margins too much. You get:

- Case
- RGB strips
- GPU riser cable
- Screwdriver kit

All for $225? Bonkers. In my case I even got some custom length cables. I think the case is worth $225 alone, so the fact you get everything else for free is incredible.

Really glad I started following this case. Fell in love the moment I saw your video. Thanks again!

Ambushes, thanks for the review. And for clarification, I am losing money I each case so once they are gone there will be no more.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Ambushes, thanks for the review. And for clarification, I am losing money I each case so once they are gone there will be no more.
Aww! Seems you're doing fairly well with these, had any thoughts about increasing your margins?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Aww! Seems you're doing fairly well with these, had any thoughts about increasing your margins?

I've had a couple thoughts but for full visibility, below are my costs per case I make (for the major components).

Machine shop costs: $132.40
USB Adapter: $15
Wifi Adapter: $20
LED Strips: $1/average
Front Button: $10
PSU Inlet: $2
PSU cables: $3
PSU 90 degree adapters: $6
PCIe Extender: $30
Toolset: $9
Thumb Screws: $12
Other screws/hardware: $5
Shipping Box/Packing material: $15
Total: $260.40 (not counting time to paint or shipping costs)

I'm thinking *if* I decide to make more I won't offer the LED controller and toolset. I also will probably change the PSU inlet because it takes a lot of time to wire all that up. I'd probably have to continue to include the PCIe extender because the mounting points vary based on manufacturer. Either way, I probably won't make a decision until I'm done selling the units I have. Plus, I already have an idea for the Salvo 300 and 700 series.

HexVex

Efficiency Noob
Nov 11, 2017
Grsychckn,
Congrats on a beautiful and pragmatic design. I think I've got my heart set on a silver but before I commit could you let me know what it cost you to send to Sweden? I'm in Australia but it might be a good ballpark estimate to help me decide.

Peace

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Grsychckn,
Congrats on a beautiful and pragmatic design. I think I've got my heart set on a silver but before I commit could use let me know what it cost you to send to Sweden? I'm in Australia but it might be a good ballpark estimate to help me decide.

Peace

Started Conversation.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: All black cases have been sold. I'm going to try to get a new picture of the silver case next to a macbook so the color is a little bit better defined.

Keep in mind that even though the silver cases are the only ones left, I can still paint the side panel and stand the same black color.

Ants

Efficiency Noob
Nov 8, 2017
Hey Grey where are you getting the naming ideas from if you don't mind me asking? Like you mentioned you have an idea for 300 and 700 and this one is the 400. Are they the sizes or something? If you don't want to give away your ideas I understand just curious is all.

and to anyone with a case, how much does the AMD Wraith Spire stick out of the case?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hey Grey where are you getting the naming ideas from if you don't mind me asking? Like you mentioned you have an idea for 300 and 700 and this one is the 400. Are they the sizes or something? If you don't want to give away your ideas I understand just curious is all.

and to anyone with a case, how much does the AMD Wraith Spire stick out of the case?

The Wraith Spire is around 70mm tall and this case has a clearance of just over 50mm. So it would stick out of the case by about 20mm.

The numbering of the cases is personal, but the numbers signify the size of the cases (300, 400, 700). My idea for the 300 series right now would be a <= 3L case that either is watercooled and supports a single-slot video card or is air cooled with no video card support. I have a more definite plan for the 700 series where it would be <=20L and support up to E-ATX mainboards with two "full" length/width PCIe devices. I can probably only attempt one or the other but along with that is the possibility that I might decide to cut costs on the 400 unit and have more of those made where I actually see some profit. Anyway, I've got to finish selling the current cases before I decide on anything so I've got time.

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
I am interested in a silver one if you could message me with a few more details. I assume that my MSI 1070 ITX will NOT fit? :(

Pingky

Cable Smoosher
Sep 13, 2017
Hi, I was wondering which GPU's you know of that fit in this case? Is there a small list that you could make? I'm really interested in buying a black case if you've still got one, but I'm not sure which sort of GPU to look at in terms of size (obviously something mini, but any suggestions?). Also, I'm not sure if LED functionality is already built-in or if it's something you're adding, but I'm not really interested in any LED's, so if it's easy for you, you don't have to include them with the case. Thanks!