K-13R - mITX build

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
There's only so many ways to arrange computer parts that make sense physically, thermally, and aesthetically so it's pretty common for different people to independently arrive at the same conclusion regarding basic layout. With case design though, basic layout is really just 10% of a design, the rest is implementation of all the little details.

I second this. I've been playing with configs and stuff for months and have finally settled on a layout which is not significantly different from Firewolfy's MI-6 or the Hutzy XS. I'd actually challenge anyone to come up with more than about four to five viable layouts for mITX builds. As far as I can see there is the DAN layout (which you're kinda using here), the MI-6/Firewolfy layout, the Sugo SG-13 layout with the PSU directly over the Motherboard, the NFC S4 Mini Layout and the reflected GPU layout you've also drawn on here (I did this in a Lone Industries L1 build a couple years back and it's a pretty cool way to build). Everything else more or less falls into variants of these.

What will set your case apart is how buildable/innovative it is within these constraints. In your case, I could point out elements from a number of other projects I've seen over the past couple years (ie. grills and front I/O like Orthus), but if I'm focusing on the differentiating factors, I like the way you've worked in a front air intake to cool GPU/CPU instead of relying on passive access to fresh air, the way you're facing the PSU forward to allow for different cable routing (maybe neater management of cables that most other ITX cases). Also with a bit of tweaking I find myself wondering if you have the possibility to add a 120mm rad for the CPU behind the GPU (would allow a lower profile for the CPU and the ability to use a shorter riser on the GPU possibly narrowing your case).

papakier

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
Also with a bit of tweaking I find myself wondering if you have the possibility to add a 120mm rad for the CPU behind the GPU (would allow a lower profile for the CPU and the ability to use a shorter riser on the GPU possibly narrowing your case).

Yes, 120mm rad can be mounted at the back of gpu, as seen in the snapshot below. Slim rads with slim fan is very much plausible.

I will be using 9cm lecngth of PCIe riser cable.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Yeah I definitely agree on the limited number of layout options. The reason I like this case in particular is that as ilovelampshade mentioned, there are fans on the inside to move air. I really don't like the idea of passive airflow.