Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
In the last image it looks like the left side panel is bulging a bit, any reason why?

There may be a slight "bulge" because there is a built-in tolerance for the vented panel to fit snugly over all the base units. When the screws are tightened on the top and bottom, you may find it raises the center. To avoid this, you could choose to not tighten the screws so much or place some tape between the panels to "eat up" the tolerance gap.

Another option may be to bend the mounting tabs for the vented panel outward which should also help snug up the surfaces.

Reactions: Biowarejak

joeartboy

Cable Smoosher
Oct 30, 2017
any chance to ship for overseas client? please let me know how much does it coast for shipping in Philippines? thanks

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
any chance to ship for overseas client? please let me know how much does it coast for shipping in Philippines? thanks
Yes, I would be willing to ship overseas but you would have to pay the full shipping amount. Also, I will have to ship as a product/service so import duties will apply.

alex1577

Chassis Packer
Jun 14, 2016
I really love this case. For such a simple layout you have really over-engineered the design. You did good providing full venting coverage, especially in the front and bottom. Features like the big screws, psu rubber bumper, movable pci slot, modular back plate, and inverted or normal orientation are a testament to how much you thought everything out for the case. Also, the psu switch is super neat. I don't really like the led controller but that's because i haven't had case lighting before. I was thinking about switching to an external psu case, but I might rather keep my sf600 and build in your case. Definitely excited for this case.

Btw: vertical format ftw, the footprint will always be smaller than a wider horizontal layout such as a4-sfx for placement on a desk.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I really love this case. For such a simple layout you have really over-engineered the design. You did good providing full venting coverage, especially in the front and bottom. Features like the big screws, psu rubber bumper, movable pci slot, modular back plate, and inverted or normal orientation are a testament to how much you thought everything out for the case. Also, the psu switch is super neat. I don't really like the led controller but that's because i haven't had case lighting before. I was thinking about switching to an external psu case, but I might rather keep my sf600 and build in your case. Definitely excited for this case.

Btw: vertical format ftw, the footprint will always be smaller than a wider horizontal layout such as a4-sfx for placement on a desk.

Thank you for the kinds words. Being that it's been my project and many times I see other projects with more than one engineer working it from start to end I feel like I'm able to do what I want with it which really frees me up to be creative. I've already got a few ideas about what I'd like to try next.

BTW, I'm setting the goal for taking orders by the end of next week. The USB adapters came in and now I'm just waiting on the buttons before I can start packing up the units in preparation for painting/shipping. I'm also working on painting up a special case for AdoredTV to promote as a giveaway.

juvenchan

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2017
really nice photos
The big power button makes it very cyber looking!
Plus, both GPU and CPU fan facing the same way makes it easier for users (like me) who have a small desk and can park our PC right next to to a wall without having any concerns on blocking the vent holes

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Need a page 3 image.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: I got the supported dimensions for the GPU and CPU heatsink/fan (check original post). While I was doing that I discovered the reason why there was such an obvious bow in the vented case as mentioned by Ambushes. One of the GPU power cables got trapped in between the base unit and the vented panel causing it to bow right in the middle. It still has a very slight bend to it but this could be addressed as I suggested earlier or by massaging the panel off the case and reinstalling it.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update to show how the vented panel fits when there isn't a wire stuck in between it and the rest of the case.

Here is a picture of Sapphire RX470 8GB installed which is a wide card. It definitely puts pressure on the PCIe slot and requires a change to the basic install (the PCIe extender needs to be unmounted while the card is installed and then connected and installed last). However, this just shows the widest card to be installed would be around 4.75" (120mm) in width.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: I'm ready to start taking a few orders so if your interested, contact me please. Below is a picture of a case that I'm donating with a Vega 64 LE to AdoredTV as part of a sponsored give away. Keep your eye out on his YouTube channel for his review of my case and news on the give away.

alex1577

Chassis Packer
Jun 14, 2016
Can't wait to get this case and see your hard work in person. I'll have to break out my old 980 for my build log to test how effective the full coverage venting is. I would imagine it to be much better than most of the other heat trapping cases on the market. What color combinations did you guys go with? I chose all black to keep it clean and stealthy.

dmakk

What's an ITX?
Oct 19, 2017
Can't wait to get this case and see your hard work in person. I'll have to break out my old 980 for my build log to test how effective the full coverage venting is. I would imagine it to be much better than most of the other heat trapping cases on the market. What color combinations did you guys go with? I chose all black to keep it clean and stealthy.
I chose the same all black combination. This is going in my AV rack in my living room.

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
Silver + blue side panel and stand. Thinking about painting the silver over with white plasti-dip when I get it.