Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I finally got my LLC created and the name is "Savlo Studios". I will be branding these cases under the "Salvo Studios, LTD" name and the model number will be the 400 Series. Shortened, the cases will be the "Salvo 400".

I am ready to take orders now. I will be charging $15 more for purchases through Etsy to cover their fees. The cost will be $225 ($240 from Etsy) which includes shipping to the lower 48 states. All other shipping costs will be paid by buyer and the only shipping company I will use is FedEx. If you contact me to purchase a case, send me your PayPal address and I'll start by sending you a $50 non-refundable invoice for the cost to paint the side panel and stand. Once the side panel and stand are painted, I'll send a second invoice with a picture of your case for your review. When you pay the balance of the second invoice, I'll try to ship your case out the next business day.

Currently planning on a 2-business day turn around on orders.

Alternatively, you can make your order on Etsy.

You can download the LED controller user manual here.
Install video
PSU dongle reference pictures - if your PSU cable comes loose from the inlet on the back of the case, use these pictures to reattach the clips. I would also recommend using a set of pliers to close the teeth down a little so they fit tightly.

1. Will you ship overseas?
Yes, but buyer will pay all associated shipping costs as well as duty/tax fees because I will not ship as a gift.
2. What are the supported video card, power supply, CPU heatsink/fan dimensions?
Supported GPU Dimensions
PCB Size (including PCIe interface): 120mm x 292mm (wider than 120mm heatsink/fan *might* fit but I won't officially support)
Dual Slot Height: 40mm
Supported CPU Heatsink/Fan Height: 50mm
Supported PSU Form Factor: SFX only (SFX-L not supported)
3. What warranty do you have?
I will be selling each of these "As Is" which means if something breaks, I will not be shipping replacement parts at my cost. I like to think I'm a reasonable person though and will work to make sure customers are happy. I will not accept refunds or returns for your components not fitting unless there is a defect in the manufacturing of the product. I will insure all shipments to the full amount of the purchase price.
4. How many are available?
I only had 40 of these units produced. I have the plans and can easily purchase more but I lose money on each one I sell so when these are gone, there will be no more. I might consider producing them again without the LED controller and it would be up to the buyer to provide things like the button, power supply inlet, and various hardware. Most of my loss in expense comes from my time and money spent on the lighting, buttons, paint, and hardware.
5. Are you going to make cases with tempered glass?
The problem with tempered glass (other than cost at around $100 a sheet for this case) is that it would require me to replace the generic vented cover with holes in a glass sheet that would be located for specific hardware. I could charge more and provide the glass, but hole placement would entirely depend on what hardware the user installs.
6. Does this case support vertical and horizontal orientations?
Yes, the case supports two different vertical orientations as well as horizontal. The vertical stand may be installed on either the "top" or "bottom" of the case which effects the direction of the airflow. With the horizontal orientation, I provide rubber feet to adhere to the #8-32 thumbscrews holding the side panel on.
7. What equipment do I need to purchase to aid with the install of my components?
None. The final product will ship with all screws, panels, connectors, and tools (tool set included) you would need to install your components in this case.
8. What kind of paint is used?
Every panel is powder coated.
9. Do the side panel and stand have to be the same color?
No. The stand and side panel can be any number of colors I have in stock. Currently, I have approximately 20 colors in stock, mostly flat finishes (red, green, blue, black). I will post a picture of paint samples soon. Available colors can be found here:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=d0xQV3BFaV9Nb2g5dmJDcWNSUDJZSk5ENXZfdFJ3
Side panel and stand can be painted the same black or silver as the case.
10. What material is the case made from?
Aluminum. 0.08" thick.

Hello all, I just joined this site because although my original build thread was on [H]ardOCP forum, I was encouraged by some on r/AMD to post information regarding my SFF/mITX build here. I started last year and have learned quite a lot about CAD, fasteners, and powder coating. I've learned 3 different modeling programs (Sketchup, ViaCAD Pro, and Solidworks) as my design has evolved.

Let me start by saying I was unaware of the Sentry case before I started but I recognize this looks very similar. The main differences are the fact that my video card is flipped so the fans are oriented the same direction as the CPU fan. My case is also all aluminum with custom painted side panel and stand. The stand can be installed to provide two different vertical orientations or the case can be used in a horizontal orientation. This design supports only SFX power supply units, no SFX-L units as the front button would interfere. It also comes with a wireless LED controller and LED RGBW strips and RGB front power button (30mm). The front USB ports include a type C and standard 3.1 port. The maximum length of the video card will be around 280mm. The case also includes the PCIe extender (EZDIY), all hardware, and even a toolset for installation. The overall dimensions (no stand) are 350mm x 305mm x 68mm which totals 7.14L volume.

I already have produced 40 units (20 sliver, 20 black) and am currently assembling the packaging, getting marketing photos, creating an installation video, and talking with a lawyer and CPA for my personal liability and taxes for when/if I sell these. I am not here on this forum to link elsewhere or sell these, but more to share what I've done with the community. Below are some pictures and I'll definitely be posting more information here as I get the final cases completed.

Review from AdoredTV

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Looks good. I like that all the fans draw from one side as I'm guessing it can be laid horizontally? Also, What kind of storage can this case handle?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Looks good. I like that all the fans draw from one side as I'm guessing it can be laid horizontally? Also, What kind of storage can this case handle?

Yes it can be laid horizontally. I include rubber feet stickers for the thumb screws to make it grip.
It can hold 4 x 2.5" drives with the video card installed. I would warn though that the sata power connectors need to be very thin or you'll have to put spacers underneath the drives for clearance. I'll address this when I make a video later this or next week.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Ok I'm probably going to setup a store front on etsy. I don't want to break the rules here so I'm trying to be safe with what I post. I should be ready for orders in two weeks. I'm pricing them at $225 shipped to lower 48. This includes the custom powder coating for the side panel and stand from the paints I have.

I also will include one of the following for the first few orders: m.2 drive, corsair sf600 power supply, Cryorig c7 heatsink, a 1600x cpu, or a 1070. I have enough that I can give away something to the first 15 or so orders so keep your eyes open for updates.

AIGaneshan

Cable Smoosher
Oct 8, 2017
Ok I'm probably going to setup a store front on etsy. I don't want to break the rules here so I'm trying to be safe with what I post. I should be ready for orders in two weeks. I'm pricing them at $225 shipped to lower 48. This includes the custom powder coating for the side panel and stand from the paints I have.

I also will include one of the following for the first few orders: m.2 drive, corsair sf600 power supply, Cryorig c7 heatsink, a 1600x cpu, or a 1070. I have enough that I can give away something to the first 15 or so orders so keep your eyes open for updates.

Will you update on this thread or a different one? Also, what will the shipping costs be like?

PS you've completely sold me I want one asap ;)

Last edited:

juvenchan

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2017
Oh mymy, I am very interested in this layout of ITX, may I ask to get a notification or something when it is available for sell? ;)

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Will you update on this thread or a different one? Also, what will the shipping costs be like?

PS you've completely sold me I want one asap ;)
I'll update this page when I'm ready to sell. I'm in the process of creating an LLC right now and that should be done by the end of next week.
Last night I got all the LEDs installed and the accessories all boxed up. I've still got to get the LED controller, front button, USB adapter, and the PCIe extender installed and some odds and ends cleaned up on each one. I'm still shooting to have the photos and video made this week.

I made the mistake of not ordering enough USB adapters and now I have to wait a week or more for the remaining 20 units to arrive before I can complete the cases.

Last edited:

AIGaneshan

Cable Smoosher
Oct 8, 2017
I'll update this page when I'm ready to sell. I'm in the process of creating an LLC right now and that should be done by the end of next week.
Last night I got all the LEDs installed and the accessories all boxed up. I've still got to get the LED controller, front button, USB adapter, and the PCIe extender installed and some odds and ends cleaned up on each one. I'm still shooting to have the photos and video made this week.

I made the mistake of not ordering enough USB adapters and now I have to wait a week or more for the remaining 20 units to arrive before I can complete this cases.

Sounds great man! Would you provide any guarantee any sort of warranty. Maybe not an official one but would you replace it if there was a quality issue?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Sounds great man! Would you provide any guarantee any sort of warranty. Maybe not an official one but would you replace it if there was a quality issue?

I would do my best to work with you to make sure it works. That said, after talking with my lawyer, everything I sell will most likely be sold "As Is" to avoid any liability. Obviously the shipping company would be responsible for shipping damages. I can say that I already shipped one to Sweden and it arrived undamaged, so assuming there are no problems with that installation, I'd be confident everything should be good.

I spent every spare minute this weekend mounting the LEDs and only just started finishing off the rest of the accessories. That is going to take a long time but I'm going to focus on the two I need to get the high-res photographs done.

AIGaneshan

Cable Smoosher
Oct 8, 2017
I would do my best to work with you to make sure it works. That said, after talking with my lawyer, everything I sell will most likely be sold "As Is" to avoid any liability. Obviously the shipping company would be responsible for shipping damages. I can say that I already shipped one to Sweden and it arrived undamaged, so assuming there are no problems with that installation, I'd be confident everything should be good.

I spent every spare minute this weekend mounting the LEDs and only just started finishing off the rest of the accessories. That is going to take a long time but I'm going to focus on the two I need to get the high-res photographs done.
Any estimate for what date they will go up?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: I am working every spare second I have to get the cases in boxes ready to ship. I am running a bit behind for a few reasons, but primarily because I didn't order enough USB adapters and I've had to research product liability and LLCs. I will share the LLC and model names once that is complete.

I should have the black cases ready for final inspection after tonight and then I can start on the sliver cases. For each case, I'm wiring up the LED controller to the LED strips that will be powered by a 4 pin Fan connector. I also have to install the USB adapter, then install and adjust the PCIe mount using a test-fit video card, then file down two of the holes on the back because the powder paint is too thick for the screws to fit, and finally install and check the power extension cord for the PSU.

I've been asked a lot about warranty and I'm not sure what to think. I feel like either the case works or it doesn't out of the box and will continue to do so unless the user breaks it somehow (in transport, etc.). So I want to know what is the desire for a warranty? I should be able to provide at cost any replacement parts one would need for a short while (~1 year) and if the unit is damaged in shipping that falls back to me to claim the value from FedEx. Let me know what you think.

Pictures are coming soon - I have the test panels painted but wanted to finish all the case assembly first so I could hit the ground running with pictures at the same time my etsy page goes live. I don't want to take money and then ask people to wait, when I'm ready to take money, the cases will be ready to ship.

Last edited:

AIGaneshan

Cable Smoosher
Oct 8, 2017
Update: I am working every spare second I have to get the cases in boxes ready to ship. I am running a bit behind for a few reasons, but primarily because I didn't order enough USB adapters and I've had to research product liability and LLCs. I will share the LLC and model names once that is complete.

I should have the black cases ready for final inspection after tonight and then I can start on the sliver cases. For each case, I'm wiring up the LED controller to the LED strips that will be powered by a 4 pin Fan connector. I also have to install the USB adapter, then install and adjust the PCIe mount using a test-fit video card, then file down two of the holes on the back because the powder paint is too thick for the screws to fit, and finally install and check the power extension cord for the PSU.

I've been asked a lot about warranty and I'm not sure what to think. I feel like either the case works or it doesn't out of the box and will continue to do so unless the user breaks it somehow (in transport, etc.). So I want to know what is the desire for a warranty? I should be able to provide at cost any replacement parts one would need for a short while (~1 year) and if the unit is damaged in shipping that falls back to me to claim the value from FedEx. Let me know what you think.

Pictures are coming soon - I have the test panels painted but wanted to finish all the case assembly first so I could hit the ground running with pictures at the same time my etsy page goes live. I don't want to take money and then ask people to wait, when I'm ready to take money, the cases will be ready to ship.
Can we still expect the same release time of the end of october

Reactions: Biowarejak

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Can we still expect the same release time of the end of october

It's possible - I'm getting very close and wanted to share the following update:

Ok, I finished prepping the black cases yesterday morning and tested all the LEDs and buttons in each one. I just finished the silver cases tonight and tested the LEDs and buttons. There were 5 silver buttons that were bad so I'm going to have to order some new ones from my new source (where I got the black buttons) as none of those were bad and they were half the price of the silver ones. I also used a vinyl decal to try my hand at masking for powder coating. You'll see in the photos below (bad quality I know) that I made a green one with a US Army star and a simple flat blue panel. I swapped them on the cases to give the recipients of these two a better idea of what they look like on each case.

The LLC goes through this week. I also will have the good cases packed in boxes ready for paint by the end of the week. I'm currently waiting on more silver buttons and the USB adapters. Until I get the new USB adapters I'll only be able to sell about 9 black and 7 silver cases. I also found a fastener that was the wrong size in one of the silver cases and a set of standoffs that should have been removed on another. At least I can try and fix those myself.

I will try and get a video made this week showing the build process. I am no videographer, so it's not going to be great quality unless I manage to convince my photographer friend to help me make it. I'm guessing the video will be no longer than 30 minutes but I have been known to ramble.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
By the way, the bases don't have to be white. The side panel and base can be powder coated any number of colors. So far however, everyone wants a white base.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
First I have seen of your case and looks good. I think that having the GPU and Mobo face the same direction is a nice break from the other cases out there that share this basic layout. Also the accent panel adds a personal touch to each one as well.

Nice work!

juvenchan

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2017
its a nice touch to have usb-c in the front panel.
With regards to the base, is it sturdy enough to not tip over?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
First I have seen of your case and looks good. I think that having the GPU and Mobo face the same direction is a nice break from the other cases out there that share this basic layout. Also the accent panel adds a personal touch to each one as well.

Nice work!

Thanks!