Completed Custom SFF/mITX Aluminum Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I am interested in a silver one if you could message me with a few more details. I assume that my MSI 1070 ITX will NOT fit? :(
I'm not sure about that card. According to the specs, it shouldn't fit but I installed a nitro+ 470 8GB and I don't see how the 1070 itx could be wider. That said the specs have it listed as a half inch wider than the nitro+ 470. I wish I could test fit it to know for sure.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hi, I was wondering which GPU's you know of that fit in this case? Is there a small list that you could make? I'm really interested in buying a black case if you've still got one, but I'm not sure which sort of GPU to look at in terms of size (obviously something mini, but any suggestions?). Also, I'm not sure if LED functionality is already built-in or if it's something you're adding, but I'm not really interested in any LED's, so if it's easy for you, you don't have to include them with the case. Thanks!
Thanks for asking about the cases. I only have silver cases left. As for the LEDs, all the cases are already wired for it but you can choose to turn them off. As for video cards I've installed in this case, below is the list.

1. Sapphire RX 470 8GB Nitro+
2. MSI RX Vega 64 8GB
3. Gigabyte R9 290X 4GB wind force
4. EVGA SC 2 1080ti

Most blower style cards should fit fine.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
As proof that the RX 470 Nitro+ will fit (from previous post)

To get this card to fit, I had to do the following:

1. Dismount the PCIe extender (leave other end plugged into mainboard)
2. Place video card in position
3. Install video card angle adapter bracket with card in place
4. Re-mount the PCIe extender

#3 and 4 can be done in either order

Doing it this way means you don't need the gap (in picture above, vertical travel) you normally would to slide the card into the PCIe extender. I would also suggest you loosen the mainboard screws and move it "up" (again, relative to the above picture) as far as you can, and then tighten them down again before attempting to install a wide card like this. This card definitely contacted the PCIe extender where it plugs into the mainboard, but wasn't enough for me to be concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Also, I expect some customer feedback here (hopefully good) to help others who might be interested in this case. Most of the cases I shipped out have been delivered and I know a few of them plan on posting build logs so keep your eyes open for these.

I also discovered 5 of my silver buttons were defective from the factory (LEDs not working) so I ordered from my new source and I think I like these buttons better. I'm not going to post pictures of them yet because I'm not ready to offer them just yet. I only purchased 10 and it takes a long time to prep them for the LED controller so I'm only going to have 5 of these. I'll post a picture when I get them all soldered and wired up on the cases.

Last edited:

JesusSenpai

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 5, 2017
Received my case today, and I spent a few hours transferring my components from my FTZ-01 to the Salvo 400. I had to leave my Big Shuriken behind, and replaced it with a C7 with a 120mm fan adapter; I am running an XT140 on the adapter. For my GPU, I have a Zotac 1080 mini, and it sure is a tight fit.

For the bottom screw, I replaced the provided one with a shorter screw to avoid hitting the pcb of the 1080.

https://photos.app.******/zcPbwHlHCdQvosAF2
I installed the PCIe extender first, attached it to the GPU, and put the GPU in place before screwing the extender onto the chassis.

Great build quality, packaged very well. Can't say I have anything I dislike about this case. Cabling with stock cables is a pain in the ass, but I believe that goes for most SFF cases anyways. The provided grip stickers for the feet do a great job gripping onto my glass table.

All in all, this is definitely a case I would recommend for someone who is willing to settle for a CPU fan under 50mm.

Last edited:

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
Received my case today, and I spent a few hours transferring my components from my FTZ-01 to the Salvo 400. I had to leave my Big Shuriken behind, and replaced it with a C7 with a 120mm fan adapter; I am running a XT140 on the adapter. For my GPU, I have a Zotac 1080 mini, and it sure is a tight fit.

For the bottom screw, I replaced the provided one with a shorter screw to avoid hitting the pcb of the 1080.

I installed the PCIe extender first, attached it to the GPU, and put the GPU in place before screwing the extender onto the chassis.

Great build quality, packaged very well. Can't say I have anything I dislike about this case. Cabling with stock cables is a pain in the ass, but I believe that goes for most SFF cases anyways. The provided grip stickers for the feet do a great job gripping onto my glass table.

All in all, this is definitely a case I would recommend for someone who is willing to settle for a CPU fan under 50mm.
Need pictures!

Ants

Efficiency Noob
Nov 8, 2017
I received all my parts for my build yesterday and sat down in the evening trying to get everything to fit. Stock cables of the SF600 were a pain but I managed to get everything to fit I will most likely be getting custom cables soon once I get everything working.

I made the mistake of not testing the build beforehand so unfortunately I had to take it apart and I'm now troubleshooting trying to figure out why it crashes once the GPU is under load. :p

Back on topic of the case, the only issue I had with the case itself was my power cable that goes from the PSU to the port at the back is one or two cm short and was disconnecting if I wasn't paying attention to it. Once I noticed it was coming loose from the back I adjusted the PSU end of the cable and it was sorted out.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I received all my parts for my build yesterday and sat down in the evening trying to get everything to fit. Stock cables of the SF600 were a pain but I managed to get everything to fit I will most likely be getting custom cables soon once I get everything working.

I made the mistake of not testing the build beforehand so unfortunately I had to take it apart and I'm now troubleshooting trying to figure out why it crashes once the GPU is under load. :p

Back on topic of the case, the only issue I had with the case itself was my power cable that goes from the PSU to the port at the back is one or two cm short and was disconnecting if I wasn't paying attention to it. Once I noticed it was coming loose from the back I adjusted the PSU end of the cable and it was sorted out.

If you continue having problems with that PSU cable, contact me - I should be able to ship you one that is longer if you need it.

When you say it crashes while the GPU is under full load, does the computer turn off? If so, that could be related to the PSU having power delivery problems and most likely tied to the PSU cable you were having problems with.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: I posted a new section on the first post in the thread labeled Install Information. This includes a link to the build video, a link to the PDF documentation for the LED controller, and pictures of the PSU dongle coming off the inlet in case anyone experiences them coming loose - you'll now know how to reattach them to the correct location.

Ants

Efficiency Noob
Nov 8, 2017
If you continue having problems with that PSU cable, contact me - I should be able to ship you one that is longer if you need it.

When you say it crashes while the GPU is under full load, does the computer turn off? If so, that could be related to the PSU having power delivery problems and most likely tied to the PSU cable you were having problems with.

PC freezes and then restarts, yes. I tried another PSU and I'm still having the same issue so I don't think it's anything to do with your cables.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
PC freezes and then restarts, yes. I tried another PSU and I'm still having the same issue so I don't think it's anything to do with your cables.

Have you tried running the system without the PCIe extension? Maybe there is a defect in the cable I included with your case.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
BTW, I just ordered a cpu and mainboard so I can start my next case design. I will need to purchase an AIO cooler as well - or maybe a custom loop. :cool:

Ants

Efficiency Noob
Nov 8, 2017
Have you tried running the system without the PCIe extension? Maybe there is a defect in the cable I included with your case.

Just saw this. Ya I should've specified all that. I tried a bunch of different configs. I just did a refresh on windows and it seems stable now with my AX860i.

Going to try the SF600 next.
Then SF600 with the RISER.
Then lastly SF600+Riser+the extension.

It was my third build on the same HDD all with different motherboards I'm thinking it was just drivers clashing.

Now that I know I'm stable I test the parts the case came with, I don't think they were the issue.

For the extension the three prongs from top to bottom go black over white and ground at the bottom, correct?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Just saw this. Ya I should've specified all that. I tried a bunch of different configs. I just did a refresh on windows and it seems stable now with my AX860i.

Going to try the SF600 next.
Then SF600 with the RISER.
Then lastly SF600+Riser+the extension.

It was my third build on the same HDD all with different motherboards I'm thinking it was just drivers clashing.

Now that I know I'm stable I test the parts the case came with, I don't think they were the issue.

For the extension the three prongs from top to bottom go black over white and ground at the bottom, correct?

Ok, sounds like you have it under control. Let me know if I can help or if you think something is wrong. As for the PSU wire connectors, I added this picture to the first page in case anyone else's cables come undone.

If you have the Brown/Blue/Green wires, look at the original post under "Installation Information" for a picture of how they connect.

zhl146

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2016
I haven't gotten mine yet, but one thing I think would be an improvement is if you made the stand more easily removable. I can imagine trying to take this in a backpack and wanting to remove the stand before stowing it. The current method of attachment would make that very cumbersome. I am assuming that the stand is also aluminum, so may be prone to bending in a bag if left attached?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I haven't gotten mine yet, but one thing I think would be an improvement is if you made the stand more easily removable. I can imagine trying to take this in a backpack and wanting to remove the stand before stowing it. The current method of attachment would make that very cumbersome. I am assuming that the stand is also aluminum, so may be prone to bending in a bag if left attached?
Yes, this is something I struggled with because I couldn't come up with a great way to offer something quick for travel that also allows the case to be horizontal. I would suggest #6-32 x 3/8" (any longer than 1/2" and you run the risk of clearance issues with the USB adapter) thumb screws though for the stand might allow quick removal.

The stand is all aluminum but made from thick material. That said, I could see it getting bent if not properly protected during travel.

Adding a couple images of cases I'm shipping out tomorrow.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Quick note: Just picked up a 1950X and an ASROCK X399 Taichi for cheap at Microcenter (guess what my next project will be). Not sure if it's going to be considered an SFF but let me say my target now is under 17L. I also have a few new freebies to offer.

Silver cases still available and I am caught up on all orders.