Well, well, RTX Ampere (and upcoming RDNA2 Big Navi) GPU are considerably impacting SFF world with their high power consumption, heat generation & card size.
(something already started with Turing vs Pascal)
Positive point from it was to made up my mind related to my 2 main setups.
- Once again, Cerberus-X is proving its versability and future proof concept
- This setup will be focused on my personal gaming (4K 60, ultra details, some competitive), family storage & office
First decisions from RTX 3080 release & my personal experience :
- Motherboard, RAM and CPU (& cpu coolers) setups will remain unchanged. Even R7 1700X is perfectly fitted for 4K gaming with RTX 3080
- CPU : AMD R7 3800X OC 4.3Ghz
- MB : Asus X370 Crosshair VI Hero
- RAM : 2x8Go G-Skill Flare-X, 3800 MTS (Samsung B-dies)
- CPU COOLER : Noctua C14S with Noctua NF A12x25 (Top, Intake), NF A14 (bottom intake)
- RTX 3080 (and upcoming enthousiast) GPU will be more and more power hungry...even 600W PSU (SF600) will start suffering (check comment on below video. Youtuber Dave Lee is experiencing hard reboot with SF600 Gold edition on Aida 64 psu test)
Thus, as a global conclusion, here is my current plan for my setup :
I will let you informed how things will happen..
- Cerberus-X :
- GPU : currently GTX 1070, moving to Nvidia 3080 or AMD 6900K?? Wait for release of both (Christmas). Not yet decided if GPU needs to be compatible with SM550 (size)
- PSU : currently modded SF600. Will switch it by SX800 LTI
- m.2 SSDs:
- Samsung 950 Pro 512Go (boot disk)
- AData SX8200 Pro 2To (Gaming)
- Samsung 860 EVO 2To (Storage and video rendering)
- Currently none. Will move Crucial MX500 1To (Storage duplication) from SM550
1st: i'm thrilled you will keep at it with a Cerberus setup. I saw you were considering maybe going away from it and that worried me as I love using you as resource.
2nd: I'm loving my Cerberus X and am Considering hand-me-down it to my wife and building a Cerberus MATX 3080 Ryzen setup for myself.
My SF600 Gold is probably DOA with my 3600.... though that may be low end enough to play with a 3080FE for a few months till I do a second build but I'm a little leery of that. My current EVGA 1080 FTW + 3600 seems just fine.
I wonder if the SF600 would be okay if it had no add-in cards, had very few fans, and an m.2 SSD but I won't push it.
Now if only that Chromax U9S would show up then I could star the inevitable fan arrangement considerations.
Are you going to stay air cooled + 3080FE or are you considering liquid?