• Updates are afoot! Track our progress, report bugs, and make feature requests in our dedicated update thread. Read more
    Our latest release introduces full-screen post editing, ignorable forums and threads, lazy loading, unread thread icons, and other enhancements

Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

rcradiator

Average Stuffer
Feb 23, 2018
Changes coming to Cerberus and Cerberus X, and some other news!

• ALL HARDWARE WILL BE CHANGING TO METRIC
    • Some cases might still be 4-40 up until about end of month, we will include a note with your shipment if so.
    • This should fix all issues people have with wrong screws / crossthreading.
    • User manual will be updated soon to reflect this, as well as other changes.
  • Several new options are enabled, or will be enabled shortly
    • An unvented top panel in black is now available on checkout.
    • Custom colors will be enabled shortly, cost is $100 + powder coat cost. Email us for information on this!
    • Custom printing of logos, artwork, and other graphics on the front panel, side panels, and even window panels for a stained glass appearance will be coming shortly as well.
    • We start to do limited batches of colors, first up will be a limited quantity of neon pink.
  • Other changes to chassis / order options
    • Carmine red will be discontinued when stock is out. (will be replaced with above custom and limited batch)
    • Chrome Feet and Chrome Handle have been reduced in price.
    • Some cutouts on the chassis frame have been modified for easier access to SSDs, and rear of motherboard for CPU cooler mounting / M.2 slots.

We will have both Cerberus and Cerberus X on display at QuakeCon, along with a coupon code for our site. Come by and visit!
Is there any chance of a front mounted ATX power supply bracket? From what I've seen and tested, it's doable, but presents its own set of difficulties.

AMv8-1day

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 13, 2017
Hey @KSliger, @PlayfulPhoenix, etc. Maybe it's been touched on already, but my keyword search kung fu is apparently not good enough.
What's the reasoning behind the permanently mounted standoff's vs standard screw-in mounts? Is panel thickness really a big concern?
I ask because I know that the mATX to Cerberus X incompatibility is a thing, as well as my personal difficulties getting an SSI-EEB board installed into the X.
It would be awesome if we could get some modularity there, but if structural integrity is a problem, maybe alt standoff mounting could be a sku option?
Thanks for the hard work guys!
Can't wait to get my hands on the new SM5x0 series!

KSliger

Master of Cramming
Sliger Designs
Gold Supporter
May 8, 2015
Hey @KSliger, @PlayfulPhoenix, etc. Maybe it's been touched on already, but my keyword search kung fu is apparently not good enough.
What's the reasoning behind the permanently mounted standoff's vs standard screw-in mounts? Is panel thickness really a big concern?
I ask because I know that the mATX to Cerberus X incompatibility is a thing, as well as my personal difficulties getting an SSI-EEB board installed into the X.
It would be awesome if we could get some modularity there, but if structural integrity is a problem, maybe alt standoff mounting could be a sku option?
Thanks for the hard work guys!
Can't wait to get my hands on the new SM5x0 series!
Just was never designed for it, maybe a future change.

Is there any chance of a front mounted ATX power supply bracket? From what I've seen and tested, it's doable, but presents its own set of difficulties.
We have enough work supporting the options we have now. Would drop ATX PSU support entirely if it was up to me as it creates the 2nd most problems after the non-metric hardware, but it makes enough sales to cover the support.

hyp36rmax

Trash Compacter
May 7, 2018
Changes coming to Cerberus and Cerberus X, and some other news!
  • Other changes to chassis / order options
    • Carmine red will be discontinued when stock is out. (will be replaced with above custom and limited batch)
    • Chrome Feet and Chrome Handle have been reduced in price.
    • Some cutouts on the chassis frame have been modified for easier access to SSDs, and rear of motherboard for CPU cooler mounting / M.2 slots.

We will have both Cerberus and Cerberus X on display at QuakeCon, along with a coupon code for our site. Come by and visit!
Carmine Red panels included with this change? Or will you continue to mfg those?

Revenant

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2017
I’ve decided to move my current Ncase M1 build into a Cerberus. I love the Ncase but I’m just pushing my 8086K OC too far for the case to be quiet. Plus I’ve been using an M1 since 2015.

I was going to order within a month, but will these new changes delay shipment?

KSliger

Master of Cramming
Sliger Designs
Gold Supporter
May 8, 2015
I’ve decided to move my current Ncase M1 build into a Cerberus. I love the Ncase but I’m just pushing my 8086K OC too far for the case to be quiet. Plus I’ve been using an M1 since 2015.

I was going to order within a month, but will these new changes delay shipment?
What's your setup in the M1?

No change to anything on shipments, will still ship in 1-3 days after order is placed.

Revenant

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2017
8086K at 5ghz at 1.37V. It’s not delided. I have an X52 in a pull config with Noctua A12s.

The problem is that when I had my 980ti blower card, the system was ok. Now that I have a 2080 that dumps all heat back into the case, I’ve got a cascade of hardware issues and overheating.

I can run with the panels off, but the noise is too much.

My plan is to bottom mount an X62, put the A12s as top exhausts, and get the solid side panel and add foam for sound.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
Oct 13, 2016
@Revenant

Thought to share some of my experiences with the X.

Intake front and exhaust top AND bottom has been the sweet spot for my CerbX setup.

I have found that bottom mount 240 rad with push fans dumping all of that heat out of the CerbX has worked wonders for my global system temps. Rear mount PSU to allow dual front fans. With or without rad but since you AIO your CPU and air cool the GPU this may do it for you too? That or front mount the AIO and feed air from bottom as intake and front as intake for posi pressure. Exhaust with top fan. This worked well with a Strix 1080 and front mount H110v2.

The Cerberus case feet are tall enough to facilitate this and after trying several fan setups this is the best for me currently:

All Noctua. Front intake 2x120mm x15s pushing a 240 rad. Top slim exhaust 120mm x15mm. Bottom 2 x120mm x25s in push through a 240mm rad then the floor. SSDs, mobo temps etc all happier now.

Happy building and post some findings for others to reference if you can. :thumb:

Reactions: Revenant