Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Stock air cooling with AM4. Wraith Spire with rear mount SFX PSU is totally doable in Cerberus.

Temps/noise are great too. The custom water loop construction begins soon so this is temporary. Wanted to share more of what’s possible in this bad boy.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@MarcParis - too many posts to quote now, but...

Yes, that seems to be what I've been seeing. I did see that all of my cores hit a max of 4.7. After doing some light reading, it looks like Turbo Boost is only supposed to push a single core to 4.7. I wasn't actively monitoring them, so I wasn't sure if perhaps it was playing round-robin with each core or if it had pushed each on to 4.7 at once. For me, it's not something I'm especially concerned about. I have enough power overhead and the cooling (evidently) to keep it stable (I'll run encodes for 30+ hours, so 100% load for that whole stretch).

I had glanced at my TDP/power draw stats before catching up here and did see that my max(and I think average) was well above the 95W, so my motherboard is probably doing what you've indicated. I don't remember well enough to take a guess as to what it actually was, though. Thanks for the heads up. Learn something new all the time, I guess.

Edit: maybe it's worth pointing out that encoding is hungry for threads - so that 100% util is ~100% on all 12 threads.
Thanks for sharing.
In your case, as you are watercooling cpu, it's not an issue at all, hopefully..:)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Upgraded my main pc. Didn’t do a clean build, and I’m troubleshooting drivers and software. No real performance tests yet, just a quick Prime95 test to make sure the cooler is seated right.
  • I9-9990K (no manual OC, MCE on by Asus Strix Z390i)
  • Enermax 240mm AIO
  • 2x 8gb 2666 ram (no XMP, or any UEFI tweaks yet)
  • RTX 2080 (no OC)
The cpu sits Idle 28c. Temperatures were ok running Prime95 torture, hovering around 70c. I haven’t seen crazy temps yet, I’ll play around with UEFI tonight to see how far I can push it... :)

anoldfriend

Trash Compacter
Jun 23, 2018
Build complete! Inspired by @MarcParis - Thecats +Thedog

Very satisfied with the build!
i78700k
z370-i
noctua nh-c14s as exhaust
I am using a rajintek morpheus II on the 1080 ti with 2 nf-f12 (fans on low rpm +/- 900rpm)
Loudest component now on the case is the sfx power supply (sf-600). It only gets loud enough to bother me on torture tests though.

I think I`ll add a silverstone 800 titanium @MarcParis is it worth the noise reduction?

I would also to thank @KSliger for the support and great case!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Upgraded my main pc. Didn’t do a clean build, and I’m troubleshooting drivers and software. No real performance tests yet, just a quick Prime95 test to make sure the cooler is seated right.
  • I9-9990K (no manual OC, MCE on by Asus Strix Z390i)
  • Enermax 240mm AIO
  • 2x 8gb 2666 ram (no XMP, or any UEFI tweaks yet)
  • RTX 2080 (no OC)
The cpu sits Idle 28c. Temperatures were ok running Prime95 torture, hovering around 70c. I haven’t seen crazy temps yet, I’ll play around with UEFI tonight to see how far I can push it... :)
You have failed to resist to 9900K...ahah..:D
9900K Temperatures not so bad, but as you mentionned, you need to check a lot of stuff to know how 9900K is behaving really lol

i78700k
z370-i
I am using a rajintek morpheus II on the 1080 ti with 2 nf-f12 (fans on low rpm +/- 900rpm)
Loudest component now on the case is the sfx power supply (sf-600). It only gets loud enough to bother me on torture tests though.

I think I`ll add a silverstone 800 titanium @MarcParis is it worth the noise reduction?

Nice dog..:D
Pretty nice Cerberus setup also!..:)

You are facing same noise issue on SF600 as me. SF600 is getting pretty loud on load and in a warm environement (as your 1080ti is exhausting hot air inside case)...and also it's taking ages to get back to fanless mode after a load.

My advice is to go to SFX-L psu (semi-passive mandatory), either seasonic SGX 650 or silverstone 700/800 models. sx800 lti (v2) remains the pinnacle with its higher efficiency but focus seasonic SGX650 is also a strong choice.

edit : @anoldfriend No regret to have switched from SF600 to sx800lti...my ears are thanking me every time I'm using my cerberus-X..:D

Keep us informed!

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016

i78700k
z370-i

Cool!! Enjoy it!

ANd if you can, post you temp!

Reactions: anoldfriend

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

i78700k
z370-i

Cool if I feature your dog on the product page? Gives a good sense of scale, and is cute.

Great build, appreciate the compliments!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Getting close to the leak test! First ever attempt at custom water so maybe not perfect but if it doesn’t leak I’m going to take it.

Shout out to all the other CerbX builders who showed us the way. Thanks for the fans @loader963 .

Nice build.
Why have you put your fans on bottom below radiator? And why using slim fan on bottom?

Reactions: TheHig and fabio

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Thanks Marc.

25mm fans push configuration on the bottom take up to much space and I can’t fit the front rad unless using slim fans. I chose Crossflow rads to make shorter tubing runs. I could probably do pull on the bottom instead which lowers the rad and use 25mm fans. Rads are Black Ice Nemeses 240GTS Xflow.

Overall I like the look in push with the clean rad surface and have the option of a slim noctua up top for exhaust if needed.

Edit: I’m one 10/13 compression fitting away from the leak test. Due on Saturday as my local Microcenter had 9 in stock and I need 10..

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks Marc.

25mm fans push configuration on the bottom take up to much space and I can’t fit the front rad unless using slim fans. I chose Crossflow rads to make shorter tubing runs. I could probably do pull on the bottom instead which lowers the rad and use 25mm fans. Rads are Black Ice Nemeses 240GTS Xflow.

Overall I like the look in push with the clean rad surface and have the option of a slim noctua up top for exhaust if needed.

Edit: I’m one 10/13 compression fitting away from the leak test. Due on Saturday as my local Microcenter had 9 in stock and I need 10..
ahah your setup is working also..;)
Now eager to see final result in thermal/frequencies you will have.

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Yeah fell in love with the ones everyone has posted so far and had to try it. Hopefully results are good. Looking like early next week to find out.

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
I’m waiting for the last of my fittings and I’ve ordered the pump/res yesterday, which I should have by the end of this month. I’ll have to buy a cheap gpu for display since my current one won’t fit the loop.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
For my Cerberus X build that I'm planning I'm thinking I'll be using a Noctua NH-C14S configured as exhaust with the rear 92mm as intake to feed the cpu cooler and PSU fresh air. If I were to include a top fan with this setup, would it be best to have it configured as exhaust? My concern is that it would end up drawing too much air away from the CPU/PSU fans, hurting their effectiveness.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
For my Cerberus X build that I'm planning I'm thinking I'll be using a Noctua NH-C14S configured as exhaust with the rear 92mm as intake to feed the cpu cooler and PSU fresh air. If I were to include a top fan with this setup, would it be best to have it configured as exhaust? My concern is that it would end up drawing too much air away from the CPU/PSU fans, hurting their effectiveness.
I had this exact setup...go for exhaust for top fan, no issue at all.

Make also sure you have dual 120mm fan intake at bottom

Reactions: kignt and TheHig

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I was trying out the Asus AI Overclocking. It put a 38% bump on the 9900K. In Prime95 Small FFT, the CPU was hovering around 80c. The temperatures and noise were actually acceptable. I was surprise that bottom intake is actually quite decent in the Cerberus. However, at that OC, the power consumption was over 240w. I tried a few other tests, but all of a sudden the PC froze. I thought no biggie - let's dial back this OC manually, and get the PC back to a stable state. Did a hard shutdown.

Upon turning the PC back on, the PSU would click, fans spin for a half second, and then turns off.
It was too late in the night to start troubleshooting. I just hope it's not the PSU (new Corsair 600w Platinum), or the MB (new Strix Z390i)... :(

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I was trying out the Asus AI Overclocking. It put a 38% bump on the 9900K. In Prime95 Small FFT, the CPU was hovering around 80c. The temperatures and noise were actually acceptable. I was surprise that bottom intake is actually quite decent in the Cerberus. However, at that OC, the power consumption was over 240w. I tried a few other tests, but all of a sudden the PC froze. I thought no biggie - let's dial back this OC manually, and get the PC back to a stable state. Did a hard shutdown.

Upon turning the PC back on, the PSU would click, fans spin for a half second, and then turns off.
It was too late in the night to start troubleshooting. I just hope it's not the PSU (new Corsair 600w Platinum), or the MB (new Strix Z390i)... :(
Fingers crossed.
Disconnect everything from wall and try again

And go for sfx l psu instead (sx800 lti or sgx 650..;) (if ever your sf600 is fried)