Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Hello all. I’m new here and new to SFF builds in general but they have me interested. I’m currently looking at this case and wondering if it’s possible to fit a Corsair h115 and a evga hybrid 1080ti? The 1080ti has a 120mm AIO cooler on it. Or would I have to get a 120mm AIO CPU cooler to make that work?
In the Cerberus X, 240mm AIO fits very well. With an AIB GPU I couldn't get the H115i to fit mounted on the front. If I had a Founders Edition model it would have fit so I would assume the EVGA hybrid will fit.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Hmm tempting.. I've been finding it pretty difficult to source the SST-SX800-LTI in Australia at a reasonable price, (Can only find it in stock on newegg at an inflated price) if this ends up being released this month, with dual 8 pin EPS to boot, that'd be awesome.

On that note I've now purchased everything excluding the Cerberus and PSU! My wallet feels a hell of a lot lighter now! :D

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Hello all. I’m new here and new to SFF builds in general but they have me interested. I’m currently looking at this case and wondering if it’s possible to fit a Corsair h115 and a evga hybrid 1080ti? The 1080ti has a 120mm AIO cooler on it. Or would I have to get a 120mm AIO CPU cooler to make that work?

In the Cerberus X, 240mm AIO fits very well. With an AIB GPU I couldn't get the H115i to fit mounted on the front. If I had a Founders Edition model it would have fit so I would assume the EVGA hybrid will fit.

Isn't the H115 a 280mm AIO?

Length of the GPU is still going to be the primary issue with a front mounted radiator though, and it is worth measuring your radiator thickness + fans to get a good idea of your total length-wise footprint.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Isn't the H115 a 280mm AIO?

Length of the GPU is still going to be the primary issue with a front mounted radiator though, and it is worth measuring your radiator thickness + fans to get a good idea of your total length-wise footprint.
The H115 IS 280mm. The only cards that will work with any size radiator on the front are founders / frontier edition cards. AIB partner cards will not fit, UNLESS the rad is mounted on the bottom. Even then, I couldn't get the H115 mounted on the bottom with an ATX motherboard in the Cerberus X.

carpenike

Caliper Novice
Oct 27, 2018
Hey Everyone,

In the process of building out my next system for the next 5-8 years and decided on the Cerberus-X as the first part of the puzzle. Very excited to work with this case! I'm looking for some recommendations / comments on the below thoughts.

1. High level goals, I'm looking to run a 9900k and a 1080TI with the potential to overclock. I'm OK with a little noise under load, but would like it quieter when I'm not gaming.
  2. I'm planning to build a custom water loop that'll include both the CPU and GPU. Tentatively decided to go with the HeatKiller IV CPU block, 2x GTS 240 Radiators with 2x A12x25 each and the EVGA GPU waterblock below. What pump/res combination can I use that'll fit?
  3. I believe I've settled on an ATX Motherboard given some of the power requirements of the 9900k and the lack of decent mATX or ITX boards. Tentatively looking at the Gigabtye Z390 Aorus Pro and the Maximus ROG XI Code. I have some concerns around the spacing that will be available for a pump/res as there won't be much space left between the side radiator and the motherboard.
  4. I just got out of GPU mining and have a few 1080TI options lying around. I believe I'm going to sell the 1080TI FTW3 and 1080 TI FTW3 DT and keep the 1080TI SC2 as I can put that under a waterblock (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HC-5599-B1) on a custom loop.
  5. I already own a couple EVGA SuperNova 850G2 power supplies that I could re-use. I know they're not SFX/SFX-L and therefore I'd have to put them in the back which would further shrink my space.
  6. Thinking I'll use a a12-15mm Noctua fan up top for exhaust with both rads being intake.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Falim

Cable Smoosher
Nov 1, 2018
Hey Everyone,

In the process of building out my next system for the next 5-8 years and decided on the Cerberus-X as the first part of the puzzle. Very excited to work with this case! I'm looking for some recommendations / comments on the below thoughts.

1. High level goals, I'm looking to run a 9900k and a 1080TI with the potential to overclock. I'm OK with a little noise under load, but would like it quieter when I'm not gaming.
  2. I'm planning to build a custom water loop that'll include both the CPU and GPU. Tentatively decided to go with the HeatKiller IV CPU block, 2x GTS 240 Radiators with 2x A12x25 each and the EVGA GPU waterblock below. What pump/res combination can I use that'll fit?
  3. I believe I've settled on an ATX Motherboard given some of the power requirements of the 9900k and the lack of decent mATX or ITX boards. Tentatively looking at the Gigabtye Z390 Aorus Pro and the Maximus ROG XI Code. I have some concerns around the spacing that will be available for a pump/res as there won't be much space left between the side radiator and the motherboard.
  4. I just got out of GPU mining and have a few 1080TI options lying around. I believe I'm going to sell the 1080TI FTW3 and 1080 TI FTW3 DT and keep the 1080TI SC2 as I can put that under a waterblock (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HC-5599-B1) on a custom loop.
  5. I already own a couple EVGA SuperNova 850G2 power supplies that I could re-use. I know they're not SFX/SFX-L and therefore I'd have to put them in the back which would further shrink my space.
  6. Thinking I'll use a a12-15mm Noctua fan up top for exhaust with both rads being intake.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
For a front mounted rad you are limited to 330mm total for GPU + fans + rad. So depending on fan/rad choice you may be limited on GPU size. 1080 ti sc2 is only 269mm so that leaves you about 60mm for rad/fan which should be plenty. Pump/reservoir will be your biggest challenge. You could possibly mount it on the upper 120 of the front mounted rad above the gpu.

carpenike

Caliper Novice
Oct 27, 2018
For a front mounted rad you are limited to 330mm total for GPU + fans + rad. So depending on fan/rad choice you may be limited on GPU size. 1080 ti sc2 is only 269mm so that leaves you about 60mm for rad/fan which should be plenty. Pump/reservoir will be your biggest challenge. You could possibly mount it on the upper 120 of the front mounted rad above the gpu.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the Maelstrom x50? Is there enough clearance between the motherboard / RAM and where the pump/res would sit hanging off of the top fan?

nsiderTalon

Cable Smoosher
Oct 12, 2018
Hey Everyone,

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I'm in the process of a upgrading my Cerberus X Threadripper build from an AIO to a closed loop extremely similar to your build. So far I've settled on 2x HWLabs GTS 240 X-FLOW radiators with A12x25 fans on each. I'm happy I went with the X-FLOW version instead of U-FLOW, it should simplify tubing significantly. Here's a quick album if it helps with placement:

I'll be using the same Heatkiller IV Pro CPU waterblock and EVGA Hydro Copper waterblock, so far it looks like the GPU block will fit with a handful of mm to spare. Waiting for a missing bracket before putting the block on my 1080 Ti then I'll get some more pictures. (Also, grab that HC-5599-B1 quick if you can find it, I was lucky to get one on eBay for < $100).

For a pump/res combo I'm going to use a Heatkiller Tube 100 D5 mounted on the front rad's top fan. At stock length I'll need to put my GPU in the third PCI-E slot, which is fine with me since the upper slots will be populated with SSDs and FPGAs. These parts are on their way, I can provide updates images with the pump, res, and waterblocks added. The current plan is to go with soft tubing, but @fabio has a great hard tube build.

Speaking of @fabio, he had the same pump/res cut down to fit above the top PCI-E slot, the picture is a few pages back.

I'm planning to keep my Seasonic Prime Ultra 850W Titanium. You won't be able to fit the overhead 120mm fan with an ATX PSU, even at 15mm thin. Based on previous feedback I'm planning to use the PSU fan as exhaust from the motherboard, the front rad as intake, and the bottom rad as exhaust.

Feel free to ping me if you have any questions, I plan on putting together a build guide when I'm done.

Last edited:

nsiderTalon

Cable Smoosher
Oct 12, 2018
@nsiderTalon

If you plan to put the pump/res on the top fan, will you have to lower the front rad down or will you customize a res like @fabio did?
I should be able to get away with a third option, @fabio mentioned to me that the Heatkiller Tube Basic Mounting Kit can attach to EK's universal 120mm fan pump bracket. According to my measurements, this should allow the front radiator to remain in the current position, and the res/pump will hang comfortably from that top fan. Another benefit of this arrangement is that the in/out ports on the pump will be located above the PCI-E slots, reducing interference with PSU cables.

If others are interested in this arrangement then I can upload pictures as soon as the res/pump arrives.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I should be able to get away with a third option, @fabio mentioned to me that the Heatkiller Tube Basic Mounting Kit can attach to EK's universal 120mm fan pump bracket. According to my measurements, this should allow the front radiator to remain in the current position, and the res/pump will hang comfortably from that top fan. Another benefit of this arrangement is that the in/out ports on the pump will be located above the PCI-E slots, reducing interference with PSU cables.

If others are interested in this arrangement then I can upload pictures as soon as the res/pump arrives.

Then, the space between the 1st GPU and the top of the case is around 170/175mm. You can fit exactly an Heatkiller Tube 100 DDC that is 166mm tall! (Of course, depends on your tubes routing, PSU, etc).
IF you cut around 40mm or 50mm from the strut and the glass tube, you can use as well the D5 version! (I've asked to someone here in Belgium to cut 40mm, so I can use either the D5 or the DDC in the future, it's only a matter of proportion).

Here a picture for a mounting system that works perfectly for MY config. Instead of the EK Holder, you can use a Bitspower Universal mount, or similar thing. You can even remove the Basic Mounting kit connected to the strut and try to support it directly, but that system allows you to readjust the height if you need. Be careful only with the fittings and ATX PSU, because in that config the space left between them is only 1mm! ANd be sure that everything doesn't cover your needed PSU connector.

I am waiting for the PETG tube to complete the build (I try as well to swap the front 240mm with one 120mm and a 140mm intake fan for the GPU).

In the next weeks an updated build log!

(The rad here is not cut yet)

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

anyone else know what other radiators should I add to my diagram? o_o (so far I have 240mm rads of XSPC's, EK's and that Liqtech TR4)

EDIT: ++Bitspower Leviathans. looking at Barrow and Swiftech next
EDITx2: Swiftech done; their res is so troublesome to outline ,_,

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hey Everyone,

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Welcome to Cerberus fans club..:)

If I just stick to your specifications (quiet on idle, low noise on load), you can go to watercool only "very" hot 9900K and stay on aircool GTX 1080ti, especially as you already have ftw edition.

If you want to stay on full customed watercooling, @fabio is one the latest with dual 240 rad setup..;)

carpenike

Caliper Novice
Oct 27, 2018
Then, the space between the 1st GPU and the top of the case is around 170/175mm. You can fit exactly an Heatkiller Tube 100 DDC that is 166mm tall! (Of course, depends on your tubes routing, PSU, etc).
IF you cut around 40mm or 50mm from the strut and the glass tube, you can use as well the D5 version! (I've asked to someone here in Belgium to cut 40mm, so I can use either the D5 or the DDC in the future, it's only a matter of proportion).

Here a picture for a mounting system that works perfectly for MY config. Instead of the EK Holder, you can use a Bitspower Universal mount, or similar thing. You can even remove the Basic Mounting kit connected to the strut and try to support it directly, but that system allows you to readjust the height if you need. Be careful only with the fittings and ATX PSU, because in that config the space left between them is only 1mm! ANd be sure that everything doesn't cover your needed PSU connector.

I am waiting for the PETG tube to complete the build (I try as well to swap the front 240mm with one 120mm and a 140mm intake fan for the GPU).

In the next weeks an updated build log!

(The rad here is not cut yet)

I like this idea. What type of place would I take the radiator to to get it cut? I'm in the Washington DC area.

Edit: How much clearance do you have behind the radiator for RAM?

I'm in the process of a upgrading my Cerberus X Threadripper build from an AIO to a closed loop extremely similar to your build. So far I've settled on 2x HWLabs GTS 240 X-FLOW radiators with A12x25 fans on each. I'm happy I went with the X-FLOW version instead of U-FLOW, it should simplify tubing significantly. Here's a quick album if it helps with placement:

I'll be using the same Heatkiller IV Pro CPU waterblock and EVGA Hydro Copper waterblock, so far it looks like the GPU block will fit with a handful of mm to spare. Waiting for a missing bracket before putting the block on my 1080 Ti then I'll get some more pictures. (Also, grab that HC-5599-B1 quick if you can find it, I was lucky to get one on eBay for < $100).

For a pump/res combo I'm going to use a Heatkiller Tube 100 D5 mounted on the front rad's top fan. At stock length I'll need to put my GPU in the third PCI-E slot, which is fine with me since the upper slots will be populated with SSDs and FPGAs. These parts are on their way, I can provide updates images with the pump, res, and waterblocks added. The current plan is to go with soft tubing, but @fabio has a great hard tube build.

Speaking of @fabio, he had the same pump/res cut down to fit above the top PCI-E slot, the picture is a few pages back.

I'm planning to keep my Seasonic Prime Ultra 850W Titanium. You won't be able to fit the overhead 120mm fan with an ATX PSU, even at 15mm thin. Based on previous feedback I'm planning to use the PSU fan as exhaust from the motherboard, the front rad as intake, and the bottom rad as exhaust.

Feel free to ping me if you have any questions, I plan on putting together a build guide when I'm done.

Alternatively, what's the downside of putting the gfx card into a lower slot performance wise so that the res can sit higher?

Last edited:

carpenike

Caliper Novice
Oct 27, 2018
Welcome to Cerberus fans club..:)

If I just stick to your specifications (quiet on idle, low noise on load), you can go to watercool only "very" hot 9900K and stay on aircool GTX 1080ti, especially as you already have ftw edition.

If you want to stay on full customed watercooling, @fabio is one the latest with dual 240 rad setup..;)

Thanks! I've thought of that as well. Interested in doing the full loop for the hell of it. :)

Reactions: MarcParis

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I like this idea. What type of place would I take the radiator to to get it cut? I'm in the Washington DC area.

Alternatively, what's the downside of putting the gfx card into a lower slot performance wise so that the res can sit higher?

For the first question, I am a bit too far for answer :).

The second one, depends from the platform are you using. For example, with 1 GPU, AMD X399 and Intel X299 have the 3rd slot (usually) always x16, so no problem at all! For the rest, like Z370/390, X470/B450, I don’t know how the x16 CPU lane are routed to the PCIe slots! You should check on the manual!

carpenike

Caliper Novice
Oct 27, 2018
For the first question, I am a bit too far for answer :).

The second one, depends from the platform are you using. For example, with 1 GPU, AMD X399 and Intel X299 have the 3rd slot (usually) always x16, so no problem at all! For the rest, like Z370/390, X470/B450, I don’t know how the x16 CPU lane are routed to the PCIe slots! You should check on the manual!

Haha, I can appreciate that. :) Was more interested in what type of store / trade you're taking yours to. I've seen some online tutorials that use a diamond blade on a Dremel, not sure I want to do that...