Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

SweetVandal

Caliper Novice
Jul 30, 2018
Amazing setup!! Can I ask if you can shot a more frontal pics to understand the space occupied for the D5 and Reservoir and the height of your radiator? Is it 280 or 240? Thanks a lot man!

Thank you!

And yes, I did take a few more photos! I was holding off on doing something a bit more in-depth until I get the loop finished. I wasn't exactly sure how the fittings would all come together, so I didn't order any angled adapters because I didn't want to not use them. I should hopefully finish on Tuesday and will share more then.

As for fitting the D5 - it barely fit and I had to get mildly creative with the mount. The Maelstrom x50 would have been a for-sure fit because the mount is a little high on the pump body, unlike the EK's holder that sits on the very bottom. The rad is 240.

Last edited:

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
Anyone have experience with the Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB ram on AMD? Does it OC to 3200MHz without issue?

The model number is CMW32GX4M4C3200C14 with 14-14-14-34 Samsung b-die.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Thank you!

And yes, I did take a few more photos! I was holding off on doing something a bit more in-depth until I get the loop finished. I wasn't exactly sure how the fittings would all come together, so I didn't order any angled adapters because I didn't want to not use them. I should hopefully finish on Tuesday and will share more then.

As for fitting the D5 - it barely fit and I had to get mildly creative with the mount. The Maelstrom x50 would have been a for-sure fit because the mount is a little high on the pump body, unlike the EK's holder that sits on the very bottom. The rad is 240.
Thanks! Ok, Than, I guess I need to stay with the DDC. I tried the maelstrom, but for my config is way too big. For few mm it goes against the VRM fan. I was thinking that maybe the EKWB could fit because the top part is rounded and smaller than the pump holder, but I am not so sure it can fit in the other direction., because of my ATX PSU.

Curious to see the final build!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Anyone have experience with the Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB ram on AMD? Does it OC to 3200MHz without issue?

The model number is CMW32GX4M4C3200C14 with 14-14-14-34 Samsung b-die.
is it a dual or quad ram sticks?
if it's dual, it should work. If it's a quad, ram speed should decrease to 2933 on latest amd zen+

isabirov

Average Stuffer
Nov 15, 2017
Just wanted to share a quick update - definitely reached max capacity, but waiting on a few angled adapters before I can finish. Was planning to do a water block on the GPU in the future, but I'm really unsure about the clearance under the PSU. I guess we'll see...

So close, but still so far.

Hi, could you please tell me the model of the holder.
Thank you.

SweetVandal

Caliper Novice
Jul 30, 2018
Well, did leak testing for about 90 minutes or so tonight and all looks good. Anxious to be back online, so that's all I've done so far. I'll get all the details written up tomorrow, but here's a quick shot for the time being. So far, it looks like I dropped a full 20°C under load, topping out at about 65°C with a modest curve of about 60%. Dead quiet!

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well, did leak testing for about 90 minutes or so tonight and all looks good. Anxious to be back online, so that's all I've done so far. I'll get all the details written up tomorrow, but here's a quick shot for the time being. So far, it looks like I dropped a full 20°C under load, topping out at about 65°C with a modest curve of about 60%. Dead quiet!

Nice!
Just for info, why are you using colored fluid as you have no transparent tubing?..;);)

SweetVandal

Caliper Novice
Jul 30, 2018
Okay, folks, here we go - quasi- build log time. For anyone that wants to see the starting build, check out my first post.

Parts List:
Intel Core i7 8700k
NVIDIA RTX 2080 Founder's Edition
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370-Gaming mini-ITX
Silverstone SX-700
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2
WD Red 4TB x2
WD Red 2TB

Cooling Parts:
Heatkiller IV Pro CPU block
HardwareLabs Black Ice Nemesis 240GTS radiator
EK X-RES100 Revo D5 pump/res
EK 45-Degree Adapter x3
EK 90-Degree Adapter
EK Compression Fittings x6
Primochill Advanced LRT Tubing
Mayhems Pastel Green Concentrate
Noctua Chromax NF-F12 Fans x2

Okay. Use case is pretty much a do-everything build. Primary use is for a Plex server and gaming rig. It's kept in the living room, so ultimate goals are appearance, low noise, small foot print. Definitely think I succeeded on all fronts, and I could not have done it in a different case (I don't think). I think I'm pretty much at maximum capacity in terms of volume and I do not think I could get a smaller footprint with all of the same gear.

On to the good stuff.

Here's the build, pre-filling and sans-PSU.

Definitely trying to keep it as clean as possible. Two things to note here - I needed to adjust the cable routing and change the orientation of the PSU. Originally, I wanted to keep the PSU with the intake fan faced outwards, but I was not going to be able to get it to fit on account of the 24-pin cable. Flipping it to have the intake fan facing the CPU let me get everything in - just barely.

Test fitting the PSU:

Had to run the cables under the tubes and then pretty much just mash everything down. It was a close call, for sure. While I'm not psyched on changing the PSU orientation, I guess it can act as an exhaust should the fan ever spin up. An unexpected upside is that the new orientation hides the molex cable, which is pretty great because I hate that it's not a flat cable like everything else. Also, the Bitspower Universal Mounting Bracket was absolutely essential. The EK pump/res would have been too tall with every other mount I looked at. Even with the Bitspower bracket, I had to mount the pump to the absolute very bottom to get it to fit. With the standard configuration, it would have been just a hair too tall. I think the top panel would still have closed, but it would have had to bend a bit (which, to me, means it doesn't fit). I didn't really get any photos of it, sorry, but can if someone is super interested.

A few overhead shots:

The cable stash. It's pretty hidden from the side on account of the pump, but a couple cables poke out at the right angle.

Here's some detail shots on the fittings (forgive all the paper towel dust :\). Like I said, that one in particular that rubs against the PSU barely fits.

And here's some completed photos, post-leak testing. Once the sun goes down, the lighting sucks, so sorry for the shabby quality. I may take it out again today after work to snap a few glamor shots.

That's the best I can do on that damn sata power cable. It's just a little too short to get neatly tucked away. A casualty of having to rotate the PSU.

All closed up and ready to roll.

A few things worth mentioning. At the absolute very last minute, I decided to go with soft tubing instead of PETG and I honestly couldn't be happier. I was very grateful for having just a bit of give on the run that brushes up against the PSU. Plus, I'm not sure that I wanted to fight getting the bends just so due to the small amount of space. I've seen some pretty mediocre looking soft tube loops, which put me off at first, but I really, really like how this came together. I think I ended up with some nice symmetry between the runs (semi-accidental, if I'm being honest) and the black tubes look really clean. Marc asked about the colored liquid with the black tubes, but I dig how the green looks in the reservoir, which is really the only reason I chose it. I think the pop of the pastel with the black/silver of everything else allows for some fun while still being a bit understated.

With the previous CPU cooler, I was hitting ~85C under load. After stress testing with Prime95 for a little over 30 minutes, the water loop reached a max temperature of 66.5C - and was near silent. I couldn't really hear it at all until I shut off Prime95 and noticed the difference. A very slight hum. This is with a modest curve of about 60% for both pump and fans. Keep in mind too, that I am sitting about 7 feet (2m for you folks across the pond ;)) or so away, so YMMV.

The RTX 2080 is probably a little hot and a little loud for my liking, though I do generally game with headphones on, so the noise isn't that big of a deal. Under load (Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Ultra @1080p) temperatures peaked at ~83C. This is fine, except that it warms up my HDDs kind of a lot (one in particular hitting 50C) since they sit right underneath it. Once everything chills out, they go back to ~30C. I'm not psyched about it, but I'm also not super worried. Still, it's a good incentive to figure out how to put the RTX card in the loop somehow (plus, I'm waiting to see what the Heatkiller blocks look like). So I guess we'll see.

So yeah, all-in-all, I'm very, very happy with the case. I don't think there's anything else on the market that I could have achieved this with, at least in this size. When I first got it, I wasn't entirely sure it was worth the cost, but I certainly don't need any more convincing. I'm also very grateful for this thread and all the good information within it - I wouldn't have been able to do it without it. Hopefully someone else can get something out of this post too, aside from just peeping some photos (you know, which is always rad too).

And yeah - I totally forgot to take the foil off the EK badge.

SweetVandal

Caliper Novice
Jul 30, 2018
That build log is solid, and the results are beautiful.

Thank you!

Mind if I link this on the case page?

Well, let's talk compensation. ;) Jokes aside, that would be way rad! If you're just wanting to use the photo(s), would you mind giving me a chance to get some shots of the finished build with some daylight? I think they'd look a little sharper. I might throw up a "battlestation" shot here too - admittedly, quite a bit different than a desk + displays.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Sure, just PM me when you're done, all credit cited to you.

If anyone else has a build log as well, send that too me! (Cerberus will be on PC Part picker soon, so hopefully we can get more build logs from that!)