Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Our clear out sale kind of blew out of proportion, way more people were waiting for a sale than we thought.

Apologies to those experiencing delays getting confirmations and rebates - working on them as fast as we can.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Our clear out sale kind of blew out of proportion, way more people were waiting for a sale than we thought.

Apologies to those experiencing delays getting confirmations and rebates - working on them as fast as we can.
Take it as a hint that your case may be overly priced.

Reactions: KSliger

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hey now, it's priced fairly for the costs involved. It's literally and economically a low-volume product, that leads to higher costs and consequently prices. Each additional sku (which people have been clamoring for!) compounds the issue. :)

Reactions: sn0man

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

It's on the expensive end, but overpriced is subjective of the quality and support you expect.

I cannot reduce price without changing it to all thinner gauge steel, plastic panel clips, changing powder coat to wet coat paint, reducing options and configurations, and/or moving production to a low labor cost country / stamping house.

No plans to do any of those things.

Most I can say is if/when you get a chance to have a hands on or build with one I think it becomes clear. I've had two conversation with customers whose friend or family member purchased one, they mocked it for being expensive, but once they received and built in it they eventually bought their own.

Then again I've had people who've said it sucks and returned it!

All subjective, but it will remain made in the USA with quality US made materials per James's original vision.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
.... moving production to a low labor cost country / stamping house.

.... it will remain made in the USA with quality US made materials

Being 'patriotic' and running a 'more profitable' business sometimes cannot go hand in hand.:)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Being 'patriotic' and running a 'more profitable' business sometimes cannot go hand in hand.:)
Buddy that's not the point. It's about respecting the vision. To some extent, it's also about respecting themselves as a manufacturer.

It's a high-dollar item, and that's okay considering how they're going about creating this.

Reactions: wovie and Ankacat

Sancus

Trash Compacter
Nov 12, 2017
I feel like in price discussions people forget about service. I bought one of the very first production cases and when I had an issue with my top panel, it was addressed quickly, in plain english, and a replacement was sent out only a few days after we figured out what the actual problem was that was causing the fitting issue.

If you're trying to shave every dollar off your build, a case like this isn't the product you're looking for. But on the other hand, if you value your time and quality, having it made in the US is an advantage.

A couple of months ago I tried to submit an RMA request for a video card to Gigabyte. Even though it was well within the warranty period and their automated system accepted the request, it took over 6 weeks and multiple very confusing back and forth emails to approve the request. As a result of that experience I won't be buying Gigabyte products in the future. But I'd be more than happy to buy another Sliger product, and likely will next time I do a build.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Just got done with my build but it took quite a bit of part swapping to find the perfect fit. The unfortunate thing is that I was only able to find one PSU (Seasonic 1200W) with 170mm depth and enough power that would allow for the Enermax TR4 280mm AIO to fit and power the quad Titan Vs. Hopefully, in the future, they'll be able to come out with one that has 1300+ W of power - 1200W barely squeezes by so no overclocking for now.

Cable management was also a tough one to crack, I had to constantly tuck cables behind the radiator in the rear to allow for adequate airflow throughout the case. The one mod that I plan to do next is getting custom cables for the motherboard and the two EPS cables, that would clean up the top portion nicely as you can see from the photos.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the sizing of the case. I just received my second one and will be building one with 4 x 1080 Ti as a backup system but the top panel is a different color? Was that a mistake? It's charcoal grey and doesn't seem to match the side panels. Sliger?

@chemist_slime AMAZING build!

Could I ask one thing? If you will get the custom 24pin Atx and 8pin EPS cables, which length you think will be perfect? I am building a system similar to yours (but only 2 Titan V), so will be good to be addressed by someone already did it!

PS: why have you installed the radiator's fan in "pull style"?

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: Biowarejak

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Sorry guys, other questions (I am getting close to finishing my build and I am a bit scared!)

In a Cerberus X with an ATX PSU, Using a 280mm radiator in front and a EATX board, the Zenith Extreme, there will be enough space on the side to route the cable, and there will be enough clearance to connect the 24Pin, 2xEPS, USB 3 header, and especially the U.2?

The board is 277mm, and the radiator plus fan 55mm.

Thank you!

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
Sorry guys, other questions (I am getting close to finishing my build and I am a bit scared!)

In a Cerberus X with an ATX PSU, Using a 280mm radiator in front and a EATX board, the Zenith Extreme, there will be enough space on the side to route the cable, and there will be enough clearance to connect the 24Pin, 2xEPS, USB 3 header, and especially the U.2?

The board is 277mm, and the radiator plus fan 55mm.

Thank you!

On Sunday in Post #4383 KSliger stated "Case is overall 330mm on inside for card + fan + radio" when you asked if the case was wide enough for a 268 mm long Titan V card and a 32 mm thick Enermax radiator. Those compnents plus 25 mm thick fans on the radiator is a total of 325 mm, hence his response that there would be a tight fit.

A motherboard that is 277 mm wide beside the 55 mm radiator and fan combination is a total of 332 mm, which is 2 mm too much, unless the radiator and fan overlap the motherboard without any interference. Otherwise, you need a thinner radiator, or fans, or both to fit in the 330 mm limit.

Evan

Efficiency Noob
Oct 29, 2017
yo!
I wonder how many cerberus owners are there here, LOL

At least a few, just about to order another X
Much love for this case. I hope there will always be smaller manufacturers doing things that are bit less mainstream, being involved in some automotive modification for example the amazing things that come out of small business even one man shops to so good to see. Costs $$ yes but worth it if you get exactly what you want !

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
On Sunday in Post #4383 KSliger stated "Case is overall 330mm on inside for card + fan + radio" when you asked if the case was wide enough for a 268 mm long Titan V card and a 32 mm thick Enermax radiator. Those compnents plus 25 mm thick fans on the radiator is a total of 325 mm, hence his response that there would be a tight fit.

A motherboard that is 277 mm wide beside the 55 mm radiator and fan combination is a total of 332 mm, which is 2 mm too much, unless the radiator and fan overlap the motherboard without any interference. Otherwise, you need a thinner radiator, or fans, or both to fit in the 330 mm limit.
Thanks a lot! My question was wrong made. I was asking in detail if the space that will be between a 280mm radiator+fan and the side of the case will allows to hide some cable in that space, allowing as well to connect few cable like the usb 3 front header and the U.2. Otherwise I will go for a 240mm AIO, leaving more space for cables.

Could you suggest in general an optimal length for the 24Pin atx and 8pin EPS? I've read on this forum a lot of people were suggesting to have a custom size cable, but at the end no one came back with dimension!

Thanks a lot! It's a beautiful challenge to built inside this amazing case!

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
Thanks a lot! My question was wrong made. I was asking in detail if the space that will be between a 280mm radiator+fan and the side of the case will allows to hide some cable in that space, allowing as well to connect few cable like the usb 3 front header and the U.2. Otherwise I will go for a 240mm AIO, leaving more space for cables.

Could you suggest in general an optimal length for the 24Pin atx and 8pin EPS? I've read on this forum a lot of people were suggesting to have a custom size cable, but at the end no one came back with dimension!

Thanks a lot! It's a beautiful challenge to built inside this amazing case!

Confession time: I do not own one of the Cerberus cases. I started following its development and continue to read this thread daily. Someday, I may buy one to replace my Silverstone Temjin TJ08E (a micro-ATX case).

I thought I could help with your question, but now that you've clarified it, I can't. You need someone with hands-on experience with the case to answer. I'll go back to quietly lurking and reading.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Confession time: I do not own one of the Cerberus cases. I started following its development and continue to read this thread daily. Someday, I may buy one to replace my Silverstone Temjin TJ08E (a micro-ATX case).

I thought I could help with your question, but now that you've clarified it, I can't. You need someone with hands-on experience with the case to answer. I'll go back to quietly lurking and reading.

Well, the case is amazing, you should upgrade!

Anyway, just bought the 280mm Enermax TR4 and a 1300w Prime Platinum. I will start next week to do some test with cables, clearance, distance, etc, and we'll see!

For the mobo and CPU I want to wait August for the new Threadripper. Meanwhile, I've still a bunch of stuff to buy!

Spartoi

Caliper Novice
Jun 4, 2018
Has anyone done a full (CPU+GPU) custom loop in the Cerberus X? I can't seem to find any. I ordered a case and planning one with a 280/240 (bottom/front) and would like to see other builds to confirm compatibility and different layout configurations.

bran

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2018
It seems like the enermax tr4 pumps have a very high failure rate and it's just a matter of time before this AIO leaks or stops circulating liquid .What's the next best AIO I can put into a Cerberus? Is there news of any other tr4 AIOs coming out?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
i think deepcool might have a TR4 AIO coming out, but the only reason I didn't like it is because the CPU block is quite overtall because RGB must be a thing apparently ._.

also the enermax TR4 thing, I wonder if it's because of the aluminium rad with copper waterblock thing ._. they use an anti-corrosion coolant, but...

from the LTT forums https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...tempsproblem/?do=findComment&comment=11359326
(I had the thought of replacing the radiator with an EK one, but it'll almost double the cost, although at this point it'd be a kinda okay investment (owning an EK rad))

EDIT: the OEM for the enermax TR4 AIO seems to be Lepatek (if the ebay listings are to be trusted), and their PSU side doesn't seem to be liked for the quality aspect...
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7605

Last edited:

bran

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2018
The ek Phoenix 240 rad and tr4 kit seems interesting . My concern is with the tubing coming out of the block perpendicularly and the need to have an ATX psu over top of it