Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Sancus

Trash Compacter
Nov 12, 2017
I am curious about the recommendation for water cooling. Is the air cooling performance mediocre or is Cerberus X just much better at water cooling?

Well the rule of thumb is that 120mm aio are about as good as a mid-tier air cooler. 240mm are as good as a Noctua NH-D15, and 280mm and 360mm provide more cooling power than the best air coolers. For a case like this that doesn't have clearance for a NH-D15 or other such very large air coolers, it's kind of obvious a 240mm+ AIO offers better performance.

If there was more CPU clearance it'd be a different story.

irq506

Efficiency Noob
Mar 27, 2017
Noir Friday made me buy all the core components for a new PC (I haven't built a PC in 20+ years). All my planning to get ITX shifted to MATX and finally, the discounts on Threadripper stuff just threw all previous planning out the window, and so I have some nice big stuff coming in the mail next week.

Unfortunately, this throws possible doubt on me buying a Cerberus X because I don't know If I can fit what I'm getting into it.
Please, tell me if it will work out. My components are (there's other stuff too but they won't affect the volume metrics like these do)

Asus ROG Extreme MOBO EATX [305mm x 277mm]

Enermax 240 AIO [Radiator: 270 x 120 x 39mm. Fans are 25mm, so theoretically 64mm thick with said fans -I'm open to getting other fans if needed] The Water block is 38.2mm high.

EVGA 850W G2 [85mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 180mm (L)]

Zotac 1080 mini. [211mm x 125mm]

If I can get a definitive YES that this stuff will fit, then I will have purchased an X before completing this sentence.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Noir Friday made me buy all the core components for a new PC (I haven't built a PC in 20+ years). All my planning to get ITX shifted to MATX and finally, the discounts on Threadripper stuff just threw all previous planning out the window, and so I have some nice big stuff coming in the mail next week.

Unfortunately, this throws possible doubt on me buying a Cerberus X because I don't know If I can fit what I'm getting into it.
Please, tell me if it will work out. My components are (there's other stuff too but they won't affect the volume metrics like these do)

Asus ROG Extreme MOBO EATX [305mm x 277mm]

Enermax 240 AIO [Radiator: 270 x 120 x 39mm. Fans are 25mm, so theoretically 64mm thick with said fans -I'm open to getting other fans if needed] The Water block is 38.2mm high.

EVGA 850W G2 [85mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 180mm (L)]

Zotac 1080 mini. [211mm x 125mm]

If I can get a definitive YES that this stuff will fit, then I will have purchased an X before completing this sentence.

Had the check the motherboard, yes all that should fit.

EDIT: checked the user manual for the motherboard and it just uses standard ATX mounting holes, you're good with room to spare.

Evan

Efficiency Noob
Oct 29, 2017
Shipito from CA offered approx $84 USD to Singapore via FedEx in 2-4 days.
I have not check shipping on the order form but will decide when I order tonight or tomorrow.

Ok the web page for ordering works really well on iPhone (good job !), shipping is $104 and up... Makes for an expensive case after options but order will be made :)

Shipping is always going to be brutal to APAC but this is something with nothing else like it in the market and if you want small and pretty and performs then it will cost a bit. Of course and local method in future to ship would be appreciated as I am sure it won’t me my last build.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger is the user manual available online?

Won't be online till next week, first build people will need to post questions here (there's only 4 different screw for whole box, and they're kitted up to make sense where to use them).

Shipito from CA offered approx $84 USD to Singapore via FedEx in 2-4 days.
I have not check shipping on the order form but will decide when I order tonight or tomorrow.

Shipping is always going to be brutal to APAC but this is something with nothing else like it in the market and if you want small and pretty and performs then it will cost a bit. Of course and local method in future to ship would be appreciated as I am sure it won’t me my last build.

How did that rate compare with the calculator on our site? I may get in touch with them if they're able to get things overseas cheaper than our direct rates.

Reactions: Biowarejak

spopepro

Case Bender
Jun 3, 2016
Won't be online till next week, first build people will need to post questions here (there's only 4 different screw for whole box, and they're kitted up to make sense where to use them).

A note about how the switch is wired would be helpful for many. It was difficult to find the + and - on the underside of the switch, but not impossible.

Reactions: KSliger

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
A note about how the switch is wired would be helpful for many. It was difficult to find the + and - on the underside of the switch, but not impossible.

I will put a picture on product page to cover this plus put in guide, thank you for reminder!

For others that check:

Red/Black = LED (Red = 3.0V)

White/Black = Power Switch

irq506

Efficiency Noob
Mar 27, 2017
Had the check the motherboard, yes all that should fit.

EDIT: checked the user manual for the motherboard and it just uses standard ATX mounting holes, you're good with room to spare.

Ah thank you so much for the rapid response!
And you think that beefcake PSU is ok also?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
... or is 148 mm the height limit with the side bracket in place and 155 mm the limit without it?

This is correct. Remove the side hinge bracket you get an extra 7mm in clearance.

Well I'm not so sure about this 155mm cpu cooler clearance...
Here is picture from @Aibohphobia using a Cryorig H7 cooler (145mm height)...without the hinge it just barely fits in Cerberus.
Post : https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...matx-usa-made-enclosure.454/page-29#post-9241

As far as I remembered, CPU IHS should be like/approx 8mm tall.

dreix

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2016
Cases are shipping Tuesday/Wednesday. Thank you all that ordered, can't wait to see your builds!

Also please message me your completed build picture and I will feature on the product page with link to your forum post.

Hello,

can you aim to Tuesday please? I am a little woried my case will be lost during Christmas chaos in here, if send even week later...

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Sancus

dreix

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2016
Hi All - going to set up and do some example builds for pictures this weekend, anything in particular you'd like to see or dimensions you'd like added to specifications? (part of test build is determining clearances)

I have:

140x280mm AIO radiator

120x240mmAIO radiator

2x 120mm AIO radiator

1x EVGA 1070 Hybrid

1x EVGA 1060 Mini

20+ Mini-ITX boards

2x MicroATX board

ATX PSUs

SFX PSUs

1x SFX-L PSU

4x 120x15mm fan

And every imaginable fan size

Also I'll be working on the issues with shipping costs next week, we received ZERO help from USPS while setting this up and DHL does not have a functioning integration for our cart of choice. We'll be on USPS next few weeks to get the cost down to a more affordable flat rate, possibly better US/Canada rate too.

Also will have a lot more case option in next few weeks; machined handle in clear anodize or nickel plate, machined feet in clear anodize or nickel plate, line grained aluminum front panels, full window side panels, and more options for mounting fans in top of case (this is why we did not make the fan handle bracket default with chassis.)

Also hopefully people that get their cases will be able to post build logs, and I'd love to get completed build pictures on our site.

Can you show me SFX-L in front with biggiest fan you can fit under it please? I do not know if only 120mm is possible or even 140mm would fit.

EDIT: In Cerberus, not Cerberus-x :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

dreix

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2016
This is a good point especially for us international folks!

Exactly - my Cerberus will travel literaly around the globe and closer we are to Christmas, the more difficult will be dealing with customs and import office in here. Like really difficult, they do not care and especialy around Christmas.

It basicaly means if I do not get my Cerberus to my country (Czech Republic btw) in like 10 days top, it is good as lost :(

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Exactly - my Cerberus will travel literaly around the globe and closer we are to Christmas, the more difficult will be dealing with customs and import office in here. Like really difficult, they do not care and especialy around Christmas.

It basicaly means if I do not get my Cerberus to my country (Czech Republic btw) in like 10 days top, it is good as lost :(
It reminds (not so pleasant) period when my pre-production Cerberus-x was on its way to France...definitely stressful...but at the end it arrived..so keep faith!

dreix

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2016
It reminds (not so pleasant) period when my pre-production Cerberus-x was on its way to France...definitely stressful...but at the end it arrived..so keep faith!

I have faith, but I kinda expected (hoped) it would be on it's way already :( I believe Sliger had multiple units ready to go and I ordered mine I would say about an hour after it was possible. But i get it and no hard feelings, no easy task to make all this possible I guess.

So I hope tommorow I will get an email "Your Cerberus is on the way - here is tracking link and since you selected 2-3 day delivery, it will be there soon".

EDIT: I am stressing a little because I will have new job in January and I guess there will be a problem with me leaving for a full day (right after I start) just to deal with customs and import office :(