Chimera Industries Cerberus: The 18L, mATX, USA-made enclosure

Dharwin

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2017
Made an account to get involved. I'm so excited for this. I built my first PC last year and only thing I didn't like was the massive case. Cerberus seems like the answer.

This is my current build. I think the only thing I'll need to replace is the PSU. I'm considering either the Corsair SF600 or the BeQuiet! SFX-L 600. Anyone have experience with these units? The Corsair has good reviews all over the place but the BQ is also very well reviewed, many noting it's quietness, and it's obviously running the larger fan.

My case came with two Fractal 140mm fans. My plan is to front mount the PSU, place an intake fan on the bottom below the GPU and an exhaust on the top over the CPU. I also need room for one 3.5" harddrive which I'm hoping to mount on the bottom of the case (as I understand it'll only block 5th expansion slot).

Does this seem adequate? Or should I look into getting a third fan/different fans?

Are there any other changes I'd need to make to get my build into this case?

Future upgrades will move toward an unlocked CPU so I will be in the market for a CPU cooler. I'd prefer to stay with an air cooler if anyone had some good recommendations in that regard as well, it'd be appreciated.

Excited to put away this behemoth case. It might've been perfect for a first-time builder but it doesn't keep with my aesthetic. Really excited for this to release.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Made an account to get involved. I'm so excited for this. I built my first PC last year and only thing I didn't like was the massive case. Cerberus seems like the answer.

This is my current build. I think the only thing I'll need to replace is the PSU. I'm considering either the Corsair SF600 or the BeQuiet! SFX-L 600. Anyone have experience with these units? The Corsair has good reviews all over the place but the BQ is also very well reviewed, many noting it's quietness, and it's obviously running the larger fan.

My case came with two Fractal 140mm fans. My plan is to front mount the PSU, place an intake fan on the bottom below the GPU and an exhaust on the top over the CPU. I also need room for one 3.5" harddrive which I'm hoping to mount on the bottom of the case (as I understand it'll only block 5th expansion slot).

Does this seem adequate? Or should I look into getting a third fan/different fans?

Are there any other changes I'd need to make to get my build into this case?

Future upgrades will move toward an unlocked CPU so I will be in the market for a CPU cooler. I'd prefer to stay with an air cooler if anyone had some good recommendations in that regard as well, it'd be appreciated.

Excited to put away this behemoth case. It might've been perfect for a first-time builder but it doesn't keep with my aesthetic. Really excited for this to release.

Welcome!

You can use the same ATX power supply you have, just check the ATX PSU mounting kit in the cart when checking out. However if you're looking for SFX the BeQuiet is my vote as that will free up room for an aircooler.

Also would recommend the 3.5" HDD kit, it's not included with base chassis but you'll get performance and life expectancy with the anti-vibration grommets on the HDD bracket. Can also mount the 3.5" HDD straight to the chassis.

Would recommend 120mmx240 or 240mmx280mm liquid coolers for CPU instead of an aircooler, they're amazing in this case as height for air coolers is a bit more limited.

You need nothing else though, you are set as is.

Once you get used to Cerberus everything else doesn't just *feel* massive, you realize it *is* massive.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Welcome!

You can use the same ATX power supply you have, just check the ATX PSU mounting kit in the cart when checking out. However if you're looking for SFX the BeQuiet is my vote as that will free up room for an aircooler.

Also would recommend the 3.5" HDD kit, it's not included with base chassis but you'll get performance and life expectancy with the anti-vibration grommets on the HDD bracket. Can also mount the 3.5" HDD straight to the chassis.

Would recommend 120mmx240 or 240mmx280mm liquid coolers for CPU instead of an aircooler, they're amazing in this case as height for air coolers is a bit more limited.

Once you get used to Cerberus everything else doesn't just *feel* massive, you realize it *is* massive.
I can just only one stuff...go for cerberus-x...ATX motherboards rule!..:)

Ps : ATX mbs offers great choice, price, performance...that’s the largest market of mb by far..:)
Cerberus-x is bringing this choice to a compact size...:)

DataX

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 20, 2017
Been following this for a while and super stoked about availability. :D

Have a question regarding colors. Would 'bare metal' be a plain brushed aluminum look or would it still require some finishing? I'm wanting something similar to the NCASE 'Silver' finish, but not sure what the difference would be between bare metal and 'Slate' .

TIA!

Apologies for bumping this question, but still curious to know if the bare metal option is a brushed aluminium finish or if it requires some type of finishing.

Thanks!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Wallet is ready.
I made this image to somewhat subtly convey my emotions:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@Phuncz good you used slow motion as you should have jump in on pre production cerberus-x...mouahahaha..:)
Are you going to keep your setup in g3 inside cerberus-x?

Dharwin

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2017
Welcome!

Thank you for the advice. I considered getting the ATX mounting bracket but I figured I'd prefer the SFX unit because it opens up more space in the case and at least in the case of the BeQuiet! the cables are shorter allowing better cable management.

I am planning to get the HDD Bracket.

For now I don't need an after market cooling solution so I'm open to whatever works best.

I can just only one stuff...go for cerberus-x...ATX motherboards rule!..:)

Ps : ATX mbs offers great choice, price, performance...that’s the largest market of mb by far..:)
Cerberus-x is bringing this choice to a compact size...:)

I feel like mATX board offer all the features with which I'm concerned. They can do 64 GB RAM, dual GPUs, and can overclock. I'm not sure what more I'm getting, feature-wise with an ATX I can't get in mATX? Otherwise I'd rather stick to the regular Cerberus and keep the overall unit as small as possible.

dreix

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2016
Bloody hell....I just found out that if I use DHL to ship my Cerberus around the globe it would (actually...will) cost around $380.... Damn I live far away!

Reactions: Cutie DarkFae

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Bloody hell....I just found out that if I use DHL to ship my Cerberus around the globe it would (actually...will) cost around $380.... Damn I live far away!
Well you are just near price from pre production sample.
And you need to keep in mind, that in dhl, you are sure to pay customs and your national vat...

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I feel like mATX board offer all the features with which I'm concerned. They can do 64 GB RAM, dual GPUs, and can overclock. I'm not sure what more I'm getting, feature-wise with an ATX I can't get in mATX? Otherwise I'd rather stick to the regular Cerberus and keep the overall unit as small as possible.
Well for sli, atx mb others one pcie slot as offset that is great for cooling.
Cerberus-x offers also dual 240 radiators compatibility.

Clearly cerberus-x and atx mb are more versatile...but at the end choice is fully yours..:)

Dharwin

Cable Smoosher
Nov 19, 2017
Well for sli, atx mb others one pcie slot as offset that is great for cooling.
Cerberus-x offers also dual 240 radiators compatibility.

Clearly cerberus-x and atx mb are more versatile...but at the end choice is fully yours..:)

I completely agree ATX is a more versatile platform. My current performance goals can be achieved with mATX and I already have a ATX case. It's large but I do like it. Maybe I'll end up with a Cerberus-X down the line but I'm looking forward to the tiny one for now.

dreix

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2016
Well you are just near price from pre production sample.
And you need to keep in mind, that in dhl, you are sure to pay customs and your national vat...

I ment just for shipping, not the cost combined :D But I am not sure I put the right information into DHL online estimate form. Yeah, VAT and customs sucks, but it should not be that bad.

Over all, money is not the issue, but since I told my wife my new case would cost around $200 (and she almost got heart attack - she does not understand, laptop peasant!), you have to help me keep this secret.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Over all, money is not the issue, but since I told my wife my new case would cost around $200 (and she almost got heart attack - she does not understand, laptop peasant!), you have to help me keep this secret.

I had to lol @ laptop peasant, classic. :p

Reactions: Biowarejak

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
This video about AM4 motherboards is a direct supporter of Cerberus-x...:D
You have the best motherboards either on performance or on budget..:D

On AM4, clearly all micro atx are budget, with crappy vrm, not really in line to Cerberus target audience or cooling capabilities.

On Intel platform, micro atx support is a little bit better (asus gene family seems a bit a exception)...however once again, ATX boards are the best, either on performance or on budget..;)

Go, go Cerberus-x!