Years ago, the SFF community waited with bated breath for the ASRock DeskMini A300. With AMD APU support, it offered a better balance than Intel chips between the CPU and GPU. This SFF Gem was the ideal Deskmini, and the SFF Network community rallied around it by creating custom 3D printed casesBIOS updates, and more.
Now, the times have changed and AMD’s AM5 platform has arrived. Again, the SFF community waited. It felt like ages but ASRocks X600 DeskMini is finally here.
Asrock was kind enough to send a sample unit to Small Form Factor Network for testing and review. No review guidance was...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
New TEST BIOS "4.03.MEM01" with AGESA firmware "1.2.0.0a" with RAM voltage settings!!! and Zen5 "Granite Ridge" CPU support.

In this main thread: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...age-settings-agesa-comboam5pi-1-2-0-0a.19726/

Reactions: ignsvn

phorize

Efficiency Noob
Jul 25, 2024
So my deskmini is behaving itself with fury ram set to 6400 and an 8700g. The noctua fan is working alot when gaming but the worst temperature is the CPU die at 85 c. Using fedora 40 and can't quite figure out which sensor is the ram temp. I can't see how one could overclock this with the stock case. Anyway it's a good system. I had a go at installing windows 11 for dual boot but couldn't figure out how to load the missing drivers at install time so left it. I've used Linux mainly for 20 years and it seems have become used to the kernel having the driver's needed.

nirvana

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 24, 2020
So my deskmini is behaving itself with fury ram set to 6400 and an 8700g. The noctua fan is working alot when gaming but the worst temperature is the CPU die at 85 c. Using fedora 40 and can't quite figure out which sensor is the ram temp. I can't see how one could overclock this with the stock case. Anyway it's a good system. I had a go at installing windows 11 for dual boot but couldn't figure out how to load the missing drivers at install time so left it. I've used Linux mainly for 20 years and it seems have become used to the kernel having the driver's needed.
Touch a memory module during some load and see which sensor goes down

Reactions: phorize

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
For those who would like a DDR5 SO-DIMM 6400MHz CL38 kit in 48GB (2x24G, SKHynix M-Die chips), 64GB (2x32G, SKHynix A-Die chips) or 96GB (2x48G, SKHynix M-Die chips), they are now available for order online (international shipping possible) at V-Color.

The quality seems to be there with the use of 10-layer PCB and an operating voltage similar to the equivalent Kingston kits with 1.35v. But the prices are somewhat... prohibitive😅 with 374usd for a 64GB 6400MHz DDR5 SO-DIMM kit of 2 sticks of 32GB 6400MHz, where you can now find quite easily the 32GB (2x16G SKHynix A-Die chips) Kingston FURY Impact 6400MHz CL38 kit for only about 140usd.

For your information, these new V-Color kits are all listed as compatible on the official "Memory QVL" of the DeskMini X600.

You can see it here if you feel like it:

Last edited:

yck3110

Chassis Packer
Jul 16, 2019
anyone happen to have ryzen 7900 can do some test with deskmini x600 in term of thermal performance in 35/45/65W TDP ?

mike349

Average Stuffer
Mar 28, 2017
Has anyone installed an M.2 heatsink when the CPU cooler is Noctua NH-l9a? There is very little space and it is not sure if the M.2 heatsink will fit at all?

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
Has anyone installed an M.2 heatsink when the CPU cooler is Noctua NH-l9a? There is very little space and it is not sure if the M.2 heatsink will fit at all?
The l9a protrudes further in one direction than the other. So if you install it in the right orientation (heatpipe tips towards rear IO) you have no issue with the m.2 heatsink

opensesame

Efficiency Noob
Aug 13, 2024
Heads up to anyone wanting to use the Wraith Stealth cooler in the DeskMini X600. The one that came bundled with my 8600G is too big to fit, even after removing the outer shell like everyone says. It's a few mm too tall and ends up grinding against the ceiling if I try to force it in. I had to use the ASRock cooler instead.

It turns out there are multiple models of the Wraith Stealth. It could have either:

- 5 or 7 fan blades
- a glued-on or screwed-in outer shell
- the fan resting directly against the heat sink or raised a few mm above it

Mine is "712-000046 Rev: D" which has 5 blades, a screwed-in shell, and a raised fan.

In this build video by ETA Prime, he has one of the glued models, which does fit.

Stoney

Chassis Packer
Jul 25, 2024
i had a similar experience, my top shell was screwed on ... but i noticed it only after i removed it ... i made it kinda work with the deskmini after shaving of a milimeter of the edge. Still not perfect but the case didn't buldge as much anymore.
My old Wraith Stealth from my 2200g was not screwed and fit the deskmini after removing the top shell.

Reactions: HydrAxx747

opensesame

Efficiency Noob
Aug 13, 2024
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I have Kingston DDR5-6400 memory, but the DeskMini is recognizing it as DDR5-4800. Below is a screenshot from BIOS after choosing the appropriate XMP profile. It says "DDR5-4800-16GB @6400Mhz", which I thought meant "the default speed is DDR5-4800 and you're overclocking to DDR5-6400". After watching some reviews on YouTube for comparison, I'm realizing mine is wrong. It should read "DDR5-6400-16GB @6400Mhz".

BIOS is the latest (4.03) and I've already cleared CMOS (disconnected the battery for 10 mins). My next thought was that I received counterfeit RAM from Amazon, but CPU-X and dmidecode are correctly reporting the part number as KF564S38-16, which is printed on the package and the sticks themselves. Like BIOS, they report a "speed" of 4800 and a "configured speed" of 6400.

This is a problem because when I enable XMP, the screen becomes filled with flickering/snowing artifacts. I've been troubleshooting this for a long time and only now realized the incorrect speed, which I'm guessing is the root of the problem.

Reactions: HydrAxx747

dacnick

Cable Smoosher
Jul 26, 2024
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I have Kingston DDR5-6400 memory, but the DeskMini is recognizing it as DDR5-4800. Below is a screenshot from BIOS after choosing the appropriate XMP profile. It says "DDR5-4800-16GB @6400Mhz", which I thought meant "the default speed is DDR5-4800 and you're overclocking to DDR5-6400". After watching some reviews on YouTube for comparison, I'm realizing mine is wrong. It should read "DDR5-6400-16GB @6400Mhz".

BIOS is the latest (4.03) and I've already cleared CMOS (disconnected the battery for 10 mins). My next thought was that I received counterfeit RAM from Amazon, but CPU-X and dmidecode are correctly reporting the part number as KF564S38-16, which is printed on the package and the sticks themselves. Like BIOS, they report a "speed" of 4800 and a "configured speed" of 6400.

This is a problem because when I enable XMP, the screen becomes filled with flickering/snowing artifacts. I've been troubleshooting this for a long time and only now realized the incorrect speed, which I'm guessing is the root of the problem.

Looks right to me. most ddr5 jedec is 4800 (there are newer models with jedec 5200).
once you turn on xmp, here it overclocks to 6400 configured. the reason you are getting artifacts is because the xmp is applying only 1.1v at 6400, it is not enough voltage and your OS becomes unstable.

Why your xmp profile is not applying correct voltage is weird, likely another bios bug. 6400 should be 1.35v xmp.

I see you have latest 4.03 bios, it does not have manual dram voltage control, else you could manually increase from 1.1v to 1.25~1.3v.

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer

Stoney

Chassis Packer
Jul 25, 2024
dmidecode/cpu-x doesn't show the real voltage, on my deskmini it also shows jedec 1.1v and i set it to 1.2v. Windows tools like Zentimings show the correct voltages.

Reactions: dacnick

opensesame

Efficiency Noob
Aug 13, 2024
Zentimings before and after XMP, respectively. The voltages look correct, so it must be something else.

There weren't any artifacts with the default Microsoft drivers, but they showed up as soon as I installed AMD drivers (AMD Software Adrenalin Edition). This leads me to believe it's a driver/software problem, but I still can't make sense of it. For example, on Windows the artifacts temporarily disappear when running a fullscreen game (BallisticNG). On Fedora, the artifacts are always there, regardless of which kernel I choose in GRUB or whether the session is Wayland or X11. For reference, it looks like this.

Reactions: dacnick

opensesame

Efficiency Noob
Aug 13, 2024
I can only guess I either damaged something when I tried to shove in the Wraith Stealth cooler described a few posts up, or lost the silicon lottery with some component. Anyway, 4800 MT/s has been fine for my daily use, so I'll just leave it alone.