News ASRock Readies Next-Gen DeskMini & DeskMeet PCs With AMD X600 & Intel B760 Motherboards

mike349

Trash Compacter
Mar 28, 2017
I'm on Minisforum UM790, but please - Give me the new DeskMini X600...This UM790 is total disaster!

What I really like about new DeskMini is that 2x M.2 SSD-s can be installed, previously I used Deskmini 110H and it supported only 1x M.2 and HDD, so for me, it's step forward.

1. If youre going to buy Gen5x4 SSD - Which one :) ?
2. Gen4x4 - This one is going to be my media SSD and thinking about 4 TB...

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I'm on Minisforum UM790, but please - Give me the new DeskMini X600...This UM790 is total disaster!

What I really like about new DeskMini is that 2x M.2 SSD-s can be installed, previously I used Deskmini 110H and it supported only 1x M.2 and HDD, so for me, it's step forward.

Hmmm where are you located? I could be persuaded to take the UM790 off your hands 😅

orinie

Trash Compacter
Oct 18, 2023

why is the UM790 a disaster :eek:?
I was looking into getting a minisforum pc at some point, so I would love to hear some thoughts ^^

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
This is more minisforum in general but i have seen elsewhere that the fans can be bad from the factory and the CS is lackluster at best

mike349

Trash Compacter
Mar 28, 2017
why is the UM790 a disaster :eek:?
I was looking into getting a minisforum pc at some point, so I would love to hear some thoughts

It's easier you to open reddit and search UM790 :)
A lot, who bought UM790 Pro is struggling random BSOD-s, freeze - Fortunately there is huge mini-PC community and bright heads, who now have solve this BSOD thing by disabling C6.
For me, UM790 case fan started making noise. What I liked about DeskMini - it was silent, because the only fan was Noctua and I was so spoiled by that silence! :)
So I wasn't going to wait any longer and decided to make some improvement and:

1. Threw away heatsink, default fan, RAM heatsink and installed Noctua fan.

^^

Unfortunately UM790 fan header is something really tiny one, cant find it anywhere so I had an IT technician make one adapter.

First I chose Noctua NF-A9x-14 PWM 92x92x14 mm fan. I was damn surprised that the fan worked only at full speed. So there is no PWM on UM790 - You cant control fan rpm - No BIOS option, no program support. So I decided to bring rpm down with Noctua Low Noise Adapter (LNA) - Tried different ones, but stuck with NA-RC9: 100 Ω - After adding this - silence! :D

Unfortunately this Noctua fan worked strangely. Fans rotated, then stopped, rotated-stopped. Used the same Noctua on DeskMini.
So I decided to try another one: Noctua NF-A9x-14 HS-PWM chromax.black - BOOM everything worked correctly - As far as I know - this was worlds first UM790 with Noctua fan installed. I was really happy. I'm not a technical person, but the silence drived me :D

Noctua width was little bit thick so the backplate didnt close, even if I modded backplate itself. There were about 0.5mm gap between the PC and backplate and the screws did'nt go in...Tried to find those screws. Also asked Minisforum about the size:

So I improvised and bought these small adapters and had to grind them to size and round:

Now I got the original bolts connected to the adapters and the extension was ready:

Yes, there is gap, but it doesnt really bother me:

because the UM790 sits behind my monitor with VESA:

I also tried Akasa AK-FN076 Slimline PWM 80mm. It's width is enough to close the backplate, but for me it was a little bit louder and fan made some tic-tick - returned it and went back to the roots - Noctua :)

I ordered Noctua NF A4x10 PWM (40x40x10 mm) to try, how it works and then going to decide, which one to use. If I'm going back with the bigger Noctua then I guess we need custom 3D printed backplate for UM790 :) - In conclusion, I got what I wanted - silence in daily tasks, what wasn't an option before. Yes, under load the CPU blower comes to live and it makes sound, but I understand it.

After fan upgrade, I started working with BSOD-s. First of all there was about 1x day, then regularly 2-3x times + random freeze. So decided to disable C6 and task schedule it so I dont have to do it manually every time. After that - flawless...

So yeah, there are problems, but for me those 2 faults was big ones. Now I can use PC like I wanted to, but still - DeskMini is in my heart and going to replace the UM790 to DeskMini X600.

b_force

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2019
In general I find the thermal solution of most of these mini-pc's poorly done.

I have seen one recently at ETA Prime's channel with just a single bigger fan on top (forgot the name), just like you have.

Which makes a lot more sense.
Takes the same amount of space.
Bigger fans are basically always more quiet, mostly because they needs less rpms.

Reactions: HydrAxx747

b_force

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2019
I was watching that video yesterday, kinda silly comparison if you ask me.

It feels a bit like they wanted to get the video out fast.

Obviously a 8700G or 8600G at launch is not going to be great in price/performance ratio.
I also don't think that the intended use case as well.
Not to mention the additional higher power PSU that's needed.

I think they still pack a lot of punch in such a small package.

Reactions: Therandomness

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016

mike349

Trash Compacter
Mar 28, 2017
I was thinking about how to assemble a new DeskMini X600 and here are my humble thoughts. The most difficult thing seems to be choosing a suitable SSD, especially in terms of speed, capacity and price ratio:

1. DeskMini X600 barebone - No price available, but barebone maybe 200-250 € ?
2. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 8700G 5.15GHz AM5 8C/16T 65W
3. CPU cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM5 92mm AMD AM5
4. RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz CL46 SO-DIMM RAM - No X600 RAM speed available, but should be faster than 5600 ?
5. SSD: Gen5 - ADATA LEGEND 970 2TB - Would be the main SSD for OS - Not sure how good is it :p
6: SSD2: Gen4 - ADATA XPG GAMMIX S70 BLADE 4TB - Only for media - photos/videos

What are your thoughts and how would you put it together?

mike349

Trash Compacter
Mar 28, 2017
Asked ASRock when DeskMini X600 will be released...now they told me that it will happen in may, no exact date... (before it was in april)