Years ago, the SFF community waited with bated breath for the ASRock DeskMini A300. With AMD APU support, it offered a better balance than Intel chips between the CPU and GPU. This SFF Gem was the ideal Deskmini, and the SFF Network community rallied around it by creating custom 3D printed casesBIOS updates, and more.
Now, the times have changed and AMD’s AM5 platform has arrived. Again, the SFF community waited. It felt like ages but ASRocks X600 DeskMini is finally here.
Asrock was kind enough to send a sample unit to Small Form Factor Network for testing and review. No review guidance was...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

phorize

Efficiency Noob
Jul 25, 2024
I went with the Kingston. I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems updating the bios. My MB is on 1.43. I updated the firmware from an efi environment with amd ftpm and secure boot disabled. I think it succeeded as the screen went garbled as the documentation predicted. Bios update with instant flash to 4.03 is failing though. The dialog box offers flash the bios, and states don't reboot. Machine just switches off and nothing else happens. I had to switch off power and reboot to go back into bios .1.43. unfortunately the documentation doesn't offer any trouble shooting/diagnostic options.
Lol, it was my hdmi splitter playing up when it booted.

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
I went with the Kingston. I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems updating the bios. My MB is on 1.43. I updated the firmware from an efi environment with amd ftpm and secure boot disabled. I think it succeeded as the screen went garbled as the documentation predicted. Bios update with instant flash to 4.03 is failing though. The dialog box offers flash the bios, and states don't reboot. Machine just switches off and nothing else happens. I had to switch off power and reboot to go back into bios .1.43. unfortunately the documentation doesn't offer any trouble shooting/diagnostic options.
Try changing the model of USB key with which you flash the new BIOS, motherboards can sometimes be capricious with certain models (depending on their controller) in Instant Flash, for most people who could not flash this solved their problems.

Reactions: phorize

phorize

Efficiency Noob
Jul 25, 2024
Can anyone recommend a good quality WiFi kit for the deskmini. I've just given up on trying to attach the antenna wires to the card on the asrock kit. The female connectors were quite poorly formed and I can't get the male connectors.to hold at all.

dacnick

Cable Smoosher
Jul 26, 2024
Can anyone recommend a good quality WiFi kit for the deskmini. I've just given up on trying to attach the antenna wires to the card on the asrock kit. The female connectors were quite poorly formed and I can't get the male connectors.to hold at all.

you have to be patient, it locks in easily once you found the right angle. You can have your wife or daughter to help if they have dainty hands.
It is worth it for the wireless function unlock.
You can try msi herald be wifi 7, remove the card from it pcb and install the same way as asrock kit.

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
Greetings to everyone, for those who use a Kingston FURY Impact 32GB 6400MHz CL38 DDR5 SO-DIMM RAM kit like me, could you share your timings/voltages settings (ZenTimings screenshots ideally)?

This is just for comparison purposes because I still have very little experience with the operation/behavior of DDR5 kits (and even more in SO-DIMM format😅), there are still many subtleties about their behavior that seem to escape me, it was still much simpler on my DeskMini X300 and my DDR4 SO-DIMM Corsair Vengeance 32GB(2x16) 3000MHz CL16 1.2V kit which took without too much difficulty 4000MHz CL16-16-16-16-32-48-1T@1.35V and IF sync 1:1 stable(and up to 4266MHz in CL18-17-17-17-35-52-1T@1.35V IF sync 1:1 stable)...

nirvana

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 24, 2020
For those interested in trading size for better cooling and noise, here is my approach:

A single 140mm fan (Noctua NF-A14x25 G2) blowing down at 450rpm on idle and up to 650rpm during full load keeps both CPU and memory under 60c. Completely inaudible.

Reactions: Phuncz

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
Greetings to everyone, for those who use a Kingston FURY Impact 32GB 6400MHz CL38 DDR5 SO-DIMM RAM kit like me, could you share your timings/voltages settings (ZenTimings screenshots ideally)?

This is just for comparison purposes because I still have very little experience with the operation/behavior of DDR5 kits (and even more in SO-DIMM format😅), there are still many subtleties about their behavior that seem to escape me, it was still much simpler on my DeskMini X300 and my DDR4 SO-DIMM Corsair Vengeance 32GB(2x16) 3000MHz CL16 1.2V kit which took without too much difficulty 4000MHz CL16-16-16-16-32-48-1T@1.35V and IF sync 1:1 stable(and up to 4266MHz in CL18-17-17-17-35-52-1T@1.35V IF sync 1:1 stable)...
Any opinions or suggest at this subject?

opensesame

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 13, 2024
Can someone help me decide between the 8500G and 8600G for a non-gaming build? I'm wondering if the 8600G's better iGPU is worth it and if the included 120W power adapter can handle it.

dacnick

Cable Smoosher
Jul 26, 2024
Can someone help me decide between the 8500G and 8600G for a non-gaming build? I'm wondering if the 8600G's better iGPU is worth it and if the included 120W power adapter can handle it.

8600G of course, it has better cpu cores too.
Or if you not gaming 9600X is even better. The igpu is good enough for 2D rendering, though 4K videos stutters under other load

Reactions: HydrAxx747

dacnick

Cable Smoosher
Jul 26, 2024
Any opinions or suggest at this subject?

My deskmini is limited by bios and also cheap micron memory but having desktop ryzen, i will say we can follow this general settings. It is as good you can get on limited bios and vrm of deskmini.

I will drop the vsoc to 1.15v for a try.
With 4.01.MEM01, are you able to also adjust the fclk? If yes, set it to 2400 after you drop the vsoc.
Vsoc and fclk and uclk have relations.

Reactions: HydrAxx747

yck3110

Chassis Packer
Jul 16, 2019
Anyone have tried to pair deskmini x600 to a ryzen 7000/ 9000 series CPU, like 7700 or 9700x?, or tried to undervolting 8700g with deskmini x600?

nirvana

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 24, 2020
For those interested in trading size for better cooling and noise, here is my approach:

Follow up with a different cooler (Noctua NH-L12Sx77 instead of Noctua NH-C14S) in a DeskMini X300 which is virtually the same as the X600 in terms of cooler compatibility. Coincidentally, this one fits in the dimensions of the DeskMini except for the height.

The fan has been replaced by a NF-A12x25 blowing down. It barely fits and sits right on top of the memory, something I appreciate.

Compared to the NH-C14S I used with a 14cm fan (NF-A14x25 G2), this configuration starts being audible much earlier for the same airflow, as expected. For those interested in a completely silent PC, subjectively I can say that there is a big difference between the two at max load if you want to keep what I consider to be adequate memory cooling, since the NH-C14S can stay inaudible at max system load whereas with the NH-L12Sx77 needs to be audible. CPU temps are in the 60ºC ballpark with both coolers, so plenty of headroom there, and if you are willing to sacrifice some memory temps for noise, both coolers can be completely quiet.

Something worth mentioning is that the VRM in the X600 is much better than the one in the A300/X300, staying around 15-20ºC cooler at the same loads, so you don't have to worry about VRM cooling with the X600 anymore.

SFFMunkee

Buy first, justify later?
Gold Supporter
Jul 7, 2021
Best tip for this -- attach the antenna wires to the card BEFORE you insert it into the slot. SO MUCH EASIER

Reactions: phorize

yck3110

Chassis Packer
Jul 16, 2019
Multiple people have tried the 7800X3D including me. Haven't undervolted yet
how about ryzen 7900, seem the 65W tdp can only allow the chip pull 88W, and if we also undervolt with curve optimizer, then it should be okay to cool with AXP90-X47?

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
how about ryzen 7900, seem the 65W tdp can only allow the chip pull 88W, and if we also undervolt with curve optimizer, then it should be okay to cool with AXP90-X47?
The 7900 is even on the official support list so no problem. X47 full copper is really good, I'd say good enough