Years ago, the SFF community waited with bated breath for the ASRock DeskMini A300. With AMD APU support, it offered a better balance than Intel chips between the CPU and GPU. This SFF Gem was the ideal Deskmini, and the SFF Network community rallied around it by creating custom 3D printed casesBIOS updates, and more.
Now, the times have changed and AMD’s AM5 platform has arrived. Again, the SFF community waited. It felt like ages but ASRocks X600 DeskMini is finally here.
Asrock was kind enough to send a sample unit to Small Form Factor Network for testing and review. No review guidance was...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

CatapultCase

Caliper Novice
Catapult Case
Jan 9, 2024
I'm up and running at 6400mhz right out the box using the Kingston timings of 80 40 40 on the 8700G. Seems stable so far, though I admit I'm not noticing much of a performance increase over the 5400mhz kit I was using last night. I'll do some experimenting over the weekend to find the sweet spot and validate stability. I'm using a prototype case which provides far more cooling than the deskmini case, in particular I have 60mm fan blowing right over the ram. I'm also using Thermalright AXP90-X53 for the APU itself.

Last edited:

CatapultCase

Caliper Novice
Catapult Case
Jan 9, 2024
Has anyone used X600 memory: Kingston Fury 2x16GB 6400 mhz - KF564S38IBK2-32 ?

• Default (JEDEC): DDR5-4800 CL40-39-39 @ 1.1V
• XMP Profile #1: DDR5-6400 CL38-40-40 @ 1.35V
• XMP Profile #2: DDR5-6000 CL38-38-38 @ 1.35V
• XMP Profile #3: DDR5-5600 CL40-40-40 @ 1.1V

I'm using in my X600 that memory - If I activate XMP1-6400 or XMP2-6000 it works fine for daily tasks. However, if I try to play a game, it takes from a few seconds to a few minutes and the screen goes black - the game itself remains running. Only restart helps. If I activate XMP3-5600, the games work fine. I think the default profiles are maybe too aggressive for the X600 and that's why the picture goes black.

I'm not very up to date with OC, but I can sort of figure out how to do it in the BIOS. At this point, the question is that if someone has specific memories in use or, for example, a 5600 kit and is on OC 6400, would it be possible to get the parameters so that I could try it myself, if I approach it in such a way that I activate XMP3-5600 and then manually tweak other settings to get 6400?

Interestingly, I have this same crashing behaviour on my 5600mhz kit, and it resolved when I dialed it back to 5400mhz. I'm not sure that the "profiles" on th X600 actually change timings as you change the frequency... No issues on the new 6400mhz kingston so far - not possible to adjust voltage but I set default timings off the spec sheet and it seems fine.

Reactions: HydrAxx747

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
Interestingly, I have this same crashing behaviour on my 5600mhz kit, and it resolved when I dialed it back to 5400mhz. I'm not sure that the "profiles" on th X600 actually change timings as you change the frequency... No issues on the new 6400mhz kingston so far - not possible to adjust voltage but I set default timings off the spec sheet and it seems fine.
Hey, if you want to be able to freely adjust the voltages of your DDR5 SO-DIMM RAM kit, look here:

Reactions: CatapultCase

Stoney

Chassis Packer
Jul 25, 2024
I am using the stock PSU, it doesn't get very warm since the cpu at max draws 70W. The 8500g is very efficient. I needed to enable the JEDEC profile to get at least 1.2v VDD.

Ye i encountered the fclk bug, thats the reason why i went for 8000 to be at least 2:1:1 synced.

You should try the old bios 4.01MEM01 from this thread it has various voltage options.

SFFMunkee

Buy first, justify later?
Gold Supporter
Jul 7, 2021
Are you using the stock 120W psu? It gets very toasty under load no?

There is a bios bug if you chose xmp profile, you cannot make adjustment to fclk that is locked to 2000. Zen4 APU can run at least 2400 fclk for Amd recommendation. Please feedback to asrock to check this bug

Asrock standalone x600 list the compatible 180W psu in page 9 fyi.
Once I’m back home I’ve got an X600 to test out with 8600G/8700G and a couple RAM kits including 6400MT/s rated Kingston Fury. I’ll see how it goes with the 120w supply but I suspect I’ll be pulling out my 200W or 330W 19V adapter fairly quickly

Stoney

Chassis Packer
Jul 25, 2024
If you wanna use a higher power limit on the 8700g you need more than a 120w brick for sure. The 8700g in my main system draws already a lil bit over 120w during allcore cpu loads with PBO and with iGPU load powerdraw explodes even more but that higher power limit really helps getting the most out of it.

On the other hand my 8500g doesn't even use the full stock 88W PPT.

phorize

Efficiency Noob
Jul 25, 2024
Hi All. I have the x600 deskmini but haven't bought any other components for it yet. I was intending to run the 8700g with the Kingston fury 6400 but now doubting that it will work thermally with the stock case and a noctua low profile cooler. It's been years since I built a pc but the x600 seemed a good idea for a basic desktop system with some light gaming (old titles mainly). I don't really have the tools to modify the case so I'd interested in views on a) the maximum ram speed I could run sensibly with the stock set up b) at what point I'd be getting into diminishing returns on the ram speed given that I'm not going to over clock the CPU and c) whether there is a very straightforward custom case for the x600 that would make cooling easier but wouldn't test my DIY skills too much.

protocolsix

Caliper Novice
Dec 24, 2022
I will be testing this - although it'll be more like testing PCIe3.0 to PCIe4.0 because X300 is PCIe3 only, and my GPUs are PCIe4 only :)

It will NOT be compatible with 7800X3D, guaranteed - they're only supporting 65W CPUs and it's not listed in compatibility.
ASRock are very particular about which CPUs will work with their STX boards and only add specific CPU/APU models into the UEFI

According to this build, 7800X3D works in X600 🤯

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
According to this build, 7800X3D works in X600 🤯
This is what I have already told quite a few people (and continue to say it), but most of them do not want to believe me even when I specify that these CPUs with higher TDP adapt by putting themselves in "ECO-Mode 65W", many of them retort "but they are not in the list of supported CPUs" to try to prove me wrong, so I retort in turn that we should not trust these tables and they answer "what should we trust then?" and I often close with "with your sense of logic perhaps? no?" because it is more than obvious that nothing can prevent these CPUs from working because they use exactly the same architectural base and the same die, only their TDPs change so you just have to adapt the settings of the latter, it is just common sense anyway!

dacnick

Cable Smoosher
Jul 26, 2024
Hi All. I have the x600 deskmini but haven't bought any other components for it yet. I was intending to run the 8700g with the Kingston fury 6400 but now doubting that it will work thermally with the stock case and a noctua low profile cooler. It's been years since I built a pc but the x600 seemed a good idea for a basic desktop system with some light gaming (old titles mainly). I don't really have the tools to modify the case so I'd interested in views on a) the maximum ram speed I could run sensibly with the stock set up b) at what point I'd be getting into diminishing returns on the ram speed given that I'm not going to over clock the CPU and c) whether there is a very straightforward custom case for the x600 that would make cooling easier but wouldn't test my DIY skills too much.

If you going to use the GPU of 8700g, it can use as fast memory speeds as possible.
However x600 bios with regards to pushing memory speeds are poor now.

You can do 6400 expo/xmp at 1.2v but Fclk will lock to 2000.
Or if you have really golden hynix ram, you could try 6400 manual at 1.1v but with unlocked fclk values that you can go as high as your 8700g can handle, usually 2400-2500

phorize

Efficiency Noob
Jul 25, 2024
If you going to use the GPU of 8700g, it can use as fast memory speeds as possible.
However x600 bios with regards to pushing memory speeds are poor now.

You can do 6400 expo/xmp at 1.2v but Fclk will lock to 2000.
Or if you have really golden hynix ram, you could try 6400 manual at 1.1v but with unlocked fclk values that you can go as high as your 8700g can handle, usually 2400-2500
Thank you, that's very helpful. Do you have any recommendations on 6000 or 6400 ram that has good thermal performance, reading around it looks like the fury might run hot.

dacnick

Cable Smoosher
Jul 26, 2024
Thank you, that's very helpful. Do you have any recommendations on 6000 or 6400 ram that has good thermal performance, reading around it looks like the fury might run hot.

kingston impact are good, i dont think there is many sodimm to choose from.
Impact can at least ensure you get hynix A die

mike349

Average Stuffer
Mar 28, 2017
Hello!

Greetings!

I've been using the DeskMini X600 for almost a month now and I need some help with the constant buzzing. I took the computer apart, removed the cpu cooler and the buzzing seems to be coming from the area between the cpu and the motherboard. I also tried to look for information on the internet, but I didn't see much (or cant find any solution). I have my X600 behind a monitor, connected with VESA and I can clearly hear the buzz. It is especially audible when "Power Options" -> "Performance Mode" is selected under Windows 11. When I change it to "Power saver", I practically don't hear the buzz. When "Balanced" is selected, the buzz is audible, but not as disturbing as when it is selected in "Performance Mode".

Here's a question for users who have DeskMini X600 and 8700G - If you select "Performance Mode" under Windows 11, do you hear a clearly distinguishable buzz from the computer?

My setup:

PC: ASRock DeskMini X600
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 8700G Desktop Processor
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM5
RAM: Kingston FURY 2x16GB DDR5-6400 CL38 262-Pin SODIMM Kit - KF564S38IBK2-32 <-- XMP profile 5600 and clocked to 6400
SSD: Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 1TB
Wi-Fi: Intel® Killer™ Wi-Fi 6E AX1675 x (Gig+), 2230, 2x2 AX R2 (6GHz)+BT

dacnick

Cable Smoosher
Jul 26, 2024
Hello!

Greetings!

I've been using the DeskMini X600 for almost a month now and I need some help with the constant buzzing. I took the computer apart, removed the cpu cooler and the buzzing seems to be coming from the area between the cpu and the motherboard. I also tried to look for information on the internet, but I didn't see much (or cant find any solution). I have my X600 behind a monitor, connected with VESA and I can clearly hear the buzz. It is especially audible when "Power Options" -> "Performance Mode" is selected under Windows 11. When I change it to "Power saver", I practically don't hear the buzz. When "Balanced" is selected, the buzz is audible, but not as disturbing as when it is selected in "Performance Mode".

Here's a question for users who have DeskMini X600 and 8700G - If you select "Performance Mode" under Windows 11, do you hear a clearly distinguishable buzz from the computer?

My setup:

PC: ASRock DeskMini X600
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 8700G Desktop Processor
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM5
RAM: Kingston FURY 2x16GB DDR5-6400 CL38 262-Pin SODIMM Kit - KF564S38IBK2-32 <-- XMP profile 5600 and clocked to 6400
SSD: Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 1TB
Wi-Fi: Intel® Killer™ Wi-Fi 6E AX1675 x (Gig+), 2230, 2x2 AX R2 (6GHz)+BT

I do not, performance mode and standard mode, with the stock power brick and with a 180w power brick

sounds like you lost the coil whine lottery. It happens with pc parts, where the vrms section vibrate on load, it is a bad QC and you can raise a RMA if the noise is unbearable

Reactions: HydrAxx747

HydrAxx747

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2021
I do not, performance mode and standard mode, with the stock power brick and with a 180w power brick

sounds like you lost the coil whine lottery. It happens with pc parts, where the vrms section vibrate on load, it is a bad QC and you can raise a RMA if the noise is unbearable
I agree with your analysis but I don't think ASRock will respond positively to an RMA request for coil whine coming from the mobo's VRMs, or else the noise generated would really have to be particularly loud and unpleasant, like 50dB or more, because below that they wouldn't care at all and would consider that the user is quibbling over a little noise from the VRMs, as is already the case with most brands when you have a strong coil whine with a graphics card.

As you say, he was really unlucky in the coil whine lottery and that's it, he has to deal with it (personally I've never been too unlucky in this regard), now if his VRMs are really very noisy, all he can hope for is that one of them ends up giving up quickly😅 and like that he can do an RMA and then they would directly replace the entire motherboard and then there would be little chance that he would come across a new one that has such a strong coil whine, personally I had on hand 2 DeskMini A300 motherboards, 4 others from DeskMini X300 and this is my first X600, none of them had coil whine, so it's pure bad luck for him I think.

• Sad
Reactions: dacnick

phorize

Efficiency Noob
Jul 25, 2024
kingston impact are good, i dont think there is many sodimm to choose from.
Impact can at least ensure you get hynix A die
I went with the Kingston. I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems updating the bios. My MB is on 1.43. I updated the firmware from an efi environment with amd ftpm and secure boot disabled. I think it succeeded as the screen went garbled as the documentation predicted. Bios update with instant flash to 4.03 is failing though. The dialog box offers flash the bios, and states don't reboot. Machine just switches off and nothing else happens. I had to switch off power and reboot to go back into bios .1.43. unfortunately the documentation doesn't offer any trouble shooting/diagnostic options.