Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
Hi all, apologies for the abrupt email albeit being a lurker who never posts. I'm having some trouble with my Velka 7 case. I read online that extension cables can cause issues like those I'm experiencing.

I'm getting a lot of flickering over my monitor, which is the MSI PS341WU (5120 x 2160). I reckoned it was the ADT-Link cable being DP1.2 only. Consequently, I messaged ADT-Link and they said they had some DP 1.4 cables available. I thought, great! I'll buy one. I installed it and it still persisted. I reckoned I may have gotten a dud or bent it too much and damaged the cable.

I bought another, then another, then another... After four replacement cables, the issue persists. I have bought my last and final one (5th) before I pull my hair out. Please help!

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
@er_wink have you tried turning down the resolution/refresh rate and seeing if it still happens?

I also get it on my monitor (3440x1440, 160hz) and haven't figured out why, since theoretically the cable should be able to handle it just fine

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
@er_wink have you tried turning down the resolution/refresh rate and seeing if it still happens?

I also get it on my monitor (3440x1440, 160hz) and haven't figured out why, since theoretically the cable should be able to handle it just fine
Hi @labmonke101, thanks for the response. I actually do turn it down in refresh rate. However, it still happens so I don't know why either. I think, based on having tested four cables (and one en route to me), that it seems:

1) ADT-Link intentionally or otherwise told me incorrectly that the cables I ordered from them are dp1.4 when they are actually dp1.2;
2) I got four faulty cables from the same batch (one was stated as dp1.2 which came with my case, the other three were ordered over a period of 3.5 months); or
3) another aspect of my rig is defective (the riser, maybe?).

So far, still uncertain. I have purchased a 4.0 riser from Velkase just in case the bending of the 3.0 riser is causing the flickering. Hopefully someone else or even MIchael himself can chime in with guidance for us.

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
Hi @labmonke101, thanks for the response. I actually do turn it down in refresh rate. However, it still happens so I don't know why either. I think, based on having tested four cables (and one en route to me), that it seems:

1) ADT-Link intentionally or otherwise told me incorrectly that the cables I ordered from them are dp1.4 when they are actually dp1.2;
2) I got four faulty cables from the same batch (one was stated as dp1.2 which came with my case, the other three were ordered over a period of 3.5 months); or
3) another aspect of my rig is defective (the riser, maybe?).

So far, still uncertain. I have purchased a 4.0 riser from Velkase just in case the bending of the 3.0 riser is causing the flickering. Hopefully someone else or even MIchael himself can chime in with guidance for us.
Apologies. I meant I have tried turning down the resolution but the problem persisted.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hi all, apologies for the abrupt email albeit being a lurker who never posts. I'm having some trouble with my Velka 7 case. I read online that extension cables can cause issues like those I'm experiencing.

I'm getting a lot of flickering over my monitor, which is the MSI PS341WU (5120 x 2160). I reckoned it was the ADT-Link cable being DP1.2 only. Consequently, I messaged ADT-Link and they said they had some DP 1.4 cables available. I thought, great! I'll buy one. I installed it and it still persisted. I reckoned I may have gotten a dud or bent it too much and damaged the cable.

I bought another, then another, then another... After four replacement cables, the issue persists. I have bought my last and final one (5th) before I pull my hair out. Please help!

Has this been working with this or another display or was the flickering present from the start?

These cables are probably unable to support DP 1.4, at least with this configuration. They would need to be used with a DP 1.2 display or a display that allows you to disable DP 1.4 in the settings.

It may also be due in part to the external cable. If it is an option, I would suggest trying a shorter external DP 1.4 cable from a different manufacturer and retailer that offers free/inexpensive returns for any reason in case that does not solve the issue.

You can eliminate the possibility that the PCIe riser cable is causing this by testing the system with the graphics card plugged directly into the motherboard.

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
Has this been working with this or another display or was the flickering present from the start?

These cables are probably unable to support DP 1.4, at least with this configuration. They would need to be used with a DP 1.2 display or a display that allows you to disable DP 1.4 in the settings.

It may also be due in part to the external cable. If it is an option, I would suggest trying a shorter external DP 1.4 cable from a different manufacturer and retailer that offers free/inexpensive returns for any reason in case that does not solve the issue.

You can eliminate the possibility that the PCIe riser cable is causing this by testing the system with the graphics card plugged directly into the motherboard.
Hi Michael,

Thanks for this. Doh. Didn't think of plugging the GPU directly into the mobo. Thanks for that!

As for whether it works with another display, it absolutely does. Without any issues either so that's why I reckoned it was the cable.

Having said this, thank you for the heads up so I stop pointlessly trying to buy different batches of the cables lol.

Do you know any other manufacturer or retailer that makes these cables with the mounts in place?

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
Update! Good news y'all. Just received the new cable a few days ago and it is now confirmed working A-OK. This cable seems to be a new or different version, however. Each individual wire's heat shrink in the cable is blue. Then, there is a transparent cover over it. Otherwise, the connectors look the same. The version number still says 1.1 but it is working at DP 1.4, without flickering. There are no artifacts on screen when I turn on HDR mode unlike before.

All in all, everything in order. Thanks y'all!

Reactions: robbee

SaltyMemeBoy

Trash Compacter
Aug 10, 2021
Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before, but I just got an order in for a 3080ti FE and I’ve been thinking about shoving that card in a Velka 7 for months. Does anyone have any idea if this would be at all feasible? I know I’d be looking at an undervolt for sure but I feel like it wouldn’t be as terrible as people might assume at first. Has anyone attempted this yet?

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before, but I just got an order in for a 3080ti FE and I’ve been thinking about shoving that card in a Velka 7 for months. Does anyone have any idea if this would be at all feasible? I know I’d be looking at an undervolt for sure but I feel like it wouldn’t be as terrible as people might assume at first. Has anyone attempted this yet?

I ran a 3080FE in my velka 7 with no problem, was great actually

Undervolted to 1850mhz at .850mv, fan speed locked at 70%, temps always around 72-75c and my room has a pretty high ambient temp. Note that you MUST flip the PSU for this to be feasible

SaltyMemeBoy

Trash Compacter
Aug 10, 2021
I ran a 3080FE in my velka 7 with no problem, was great actually

Undervolted to 1850mhz at .850mv, fan speed locked at 70%, temps always around 72-75c and my room has a pretty high ambient temp. Note that you MUST flip the PSU for this to be feasible
Flip the PSU as in have it assist with the exhaust of the FE card? Does this make the PSU loud?

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
Flip the PSU as in have it assist with the exhaust of the FE card? Does this make the PSU loud?

Correct, otherwise the GPU is just choking on its own hot air. I tried it both ways and it is NOT possible without the PSU flipped

No clue, because I couldn't hear it over the sound of the GPU fans at 70% lol

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
I have a XC3 EVGA 3080, 2.2 slot card and it fits nice and snug. If the 3080ti length is the same as the 3080ti and 2.2 slot or slimmer then you'll be fine. Besides just undervolt, even just setting a lower power limit will fix all your problems. Do that and adjust the fan curve!

cxdrx

What's an ITX?
New User
Dec 29, 2021
I'm looking for some feedback on this idea

For those who would prefer having direct access to the graphics card IO in the Velka 5 and 7 without the use of HDMI and DP extension cables, another design could be used for the main body of the case with a rectangular cutout on top above the graphics card. This can be backwards compatible with the current design but require re-assembly.

Any estimation on when is this revision coming out?
Would cop one as soon as it releases, even the prototype ones.

xarcoft

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 29, 2021
Just ordered my first Velkase (Velka 7)! Looking forward to have it soon with me and start building it. The plan is using a 9700K+AXP90-47, Z390 Phantom ITX. Any recommendations?

Reactions: rfarmer

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
Just ordered my first Velkase (Velka 7)! Looking forward to have it soon with me and start building it. The plan is using a 9700K+AXP90-47, Z390 Phantom ITX. Any recommendations?
undervolt, undervolt, undervolt. I'm getting my ass handed to me using a 9900k with AsRock z370 itx Fatal1ty. Had to manually set a tdp limit of 95. It was good, but temps soaring to the mid 80s and touching 90 gave me sleepless nights. For temps' sake (and because I don't do intensive tasks), I opted to limit the tdp to... wait for it... 65w lol. I swapped the stock AXP90 fan for a Noctua one too because the stock was intolerable for me.

Reactions: rfarmer and xarcoft

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
Any estimation on when is this revision coming out?
Would cop one as soon as it releases, even the prototype ones.
Honestly mate, I think its convenient and something I would've rushed to grab before too. But after getting a functional DP 1.4 adapter, I'm happy with the case now. No need to fiddle with wires like I had expected. Much cleaner with the wires out the back and there's no need for an opening anymore.

xarcoft

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 29, 2021
undervolt, undervolt, undervolt. I'm getting my ass handed to me using a 9900k with AsRock z370 itx Fatal1ty. Had to manually set a tdp limit of 95. It was good, but temps soaring to the mid 80s and touching 90 gave me sleepless nights. For temps' sake (and because I don't do intensive tasks), I opted to limit the tdp to... wait for it... 65w lol. I swapped the stock AXP90 fan for a Noctua one too because the stock was intolerable for me.
Yeah, already had it undervolted on my previous build (ncase m1 + silver arrow 130). I plan on using only for gaming, maybe 65w will do the job at 1080p, will see. My concern now is that the AXP90 Cu I ordered has a backplate and don't know if this will fit properly with the riser cable and GPU. All the reviews I saw were using the AXP90 full copper without backplate.

er_wink

Chassis Packer
Dec 9, 2021
Yeah, already had it undervolted on my previous build (ncase m1 + silver arrow 130). I plan on using only for gaming, maybe 65w will do the job at 1080p, will see. My concern now is that the AXP90 Cu I ordered has a backplate and don't know if this will fit properly with the riser cable and GPU. All the reviews I saw were using the AXP90 full copper without backplate.
I don't quite remember if there's a backplate that came with mine, but installing it on the z370 for 9900k (which is also lga1151 like your 9700k) didn't require a backplate. It used four screws on the back. You might be able to get by with just the screws and just don't use the backplate. Hopefully the backplate bracket is just an extension that came for AMD boards and is removable.