Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Waata

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 10, 2021
20 cm is what the included ones are and what I would recommend. That is enough to reach the top two DP mounting positions in the rear of the case.

30 cm is enough to reach the third.
Thank you! Are the renders for the GPU IO being routed through the top of the case a revision of the Velka 5, or is it a different model? Just received a new Velka 5 case, and I'm looking to get the USB C extension cables & DisplayPort 1.4 extension cables due to my current setup requiring both, or possibly wait for a future model that allows direct access to the GPU ports.

Thanks for the hard work, the case looks amazing and my portable setup has never been this compact!

Waata

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 10, 2021
Thank you! Are the renders for the GPU IO being routed through the top of the case a revision of the Velka 5, or is it a different model? Just received a new Velka 5 case, and I'm looking to get the USB C extension cables & DisplayPort 1.4 extension cables due to my current setup requiring both, or possibly wait for a future model that allows direct access to the GPU ports.

Thanks for the hard work, the case looks amazing and my portable setup has never been this compact!
Correction, Velka 7 case*

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018

That render is for a concept that might become a replacement part for rev 2.0 Velka 5 and 7 cases (for the top, back, bottom because it is all one piece) or a part of an alternative variant of a future Velka 5/7.

If it is to be made, it would likely have to be made around the same time as the next revision which will take a long time. I plan to release a different, slightly larger model with direct rear graphics card port access before then.

LJS

Cable Smoosher
Feb 17, 2020
Are there any plans to replace current standoffs with interchangeable standoffs in the future or next generation Velka series?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Are there any plans to replace current standoffs with interchangeable standoffs in the future or next generation Velka series?
Are you referring to separate male-female standoffs that would screw into tapped holes in the motherboard tray or something else? And for what benefit?

LJS

Cable Smoosher
Feb 17, 2020
Are you referring to separate male-female standoffs that would screw into tapped holes in the motherboard tray or something else? And for what benefit?
Yes. For maintenance of thread galling or other problems. The optimum tech singled out that as an advantage when the Ncase m1 has changed fixed standoffs to seperatable standoffs at V 6.0 .

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Yes. For quick resolution of thread galling or other problems. The optimum tech singled out that as an advantage when the Ncase m1 has changed fixed standoffs to seperatable standoffs at V 6.0 .

They're not currently used in these cases because they would need to be custom-made in multiple sizes. They would need to have a very short 1.2 mm long male thread to avoid poking through to the opposite side of the motherboard tray and different female end lengths for the CPU and GPU sides of the case.

Those standoffs will probably not be implemented into the design unless if they contribute to some other new features. For instance, an option to swap standoffs on the CPU side to trade some CPU cooler clearance for extra riser cable bending clearance in the Velka 7.

Also, I think that the motherboard tray's threaded holes for these separate standoffs would be as difficult to repair as the fixed standoffs they would replace, but the custom nature mentioned previously is a greater concern.

amundsen

Caliper Novice
Aug 1, 2018
Hello, I’ve seen some pictures of V5 with the motherboard outputs oriented to top. However on Velka’s website the picture shows the outputs on the back. Is the top orientation possible with current V5? What about V7?

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
Hello, I’ve seen some pictures of V5 with the motherboard outputs oriented to top. However on Velka’s website the picture shows the outputs on the back. Is the top orientation possible with current V5? What about V7?

That was probably a version 1 of the V5 that you saw. The top exiting IO was one of the largest complaints people had about the original V5 so he changed it for the V2

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Top IO orientation is not possible in the current models, only in the first revision cases from 2019.

Reactions: amundsen

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@labmonke101 - Metalfish Z39 with a Noctua NF-A9x14 HS and by some small miracle a Noctua backplate.

Anyway specs
Ryzen 5600x
Gigabyte B550i Aorus
Palit RTX 3060 Dual
Louqe Gen 4 Riser
Aorus 7000s 2TB
Crucial P5 2TB (Moved to the front using a Delock 62984 M.2 to U.2 and an Icy Box U.2 to M.2)
Crucial Ballistix RGB 64GB 3600MHz
Corsair 750W Platinum

The M.2 to U.2 to M.2 setup works, but you need to leave the top of the ICY BOX adapter off and attach it using velcro to get it to fit.

Also had difficulty getting the upgraded Displayport cables to fit. Aborted it, so might try another week.

Reactions: labmonke101

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Updates:

Some shots with the case closed (I need a better phone/camera)

With some PVC tape I was able to bend the Displayport cables in place. So P6A-P8T-SI fits and works fine, both cables are 20cm. The HDMI cable is also in there.

Also I noticed a fitment issue. The top Displayport port can not be accessed, part of the tab over hangs it. I'm using the Louqe Riser and a Palit RTX 3060 Dual.

I'm also going to need to learn how to undervolt at some stage.

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Been running the computer for about a month. It's been OK so far, but I'm not convinced about the z39 cooling the CPU. Plus the adhesive from the graphics on the IO shield seems to be coming off somewhat due to the heat. While I could move to a blackridge, the ram is too tall (39mm). Would going to an IS-47K (with NF-A9x14 HS and backplate) to cool the 5600x be worth a shot?