Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

Sziklapeti

Trash Compacter
Jun 4, 2020
Hi, I’m looking at building in the Velka 7, however I wanted to verify first if the mainboard I plan on using fits in the case.

I’m planing on using the Asus B560-I which has a little protrusion near the IO shield over the standard 17x17cm ITX footprint

Has anyone used this or a similar board when building in the Velka 7?

Or does anyone know if a little extra size is accommodated for or is it strictly 17x17cm?

Thanks for your help guys!

Asus B560-I

At the end of february.
Looks like that B560 has the same protrusion that this Z390.

Meanwhile I wait for the europe avaiability I wonder if anyone can answer a question about motherboard compatibility. I am currently using an Asus Rog Strix Z390-i gaming wifi motherboard which has it's heatsink overhang the edge of the board. This is common in asus itx motherboards. Do any of you have used a combination of the new velka 3 with a motherboard with a heatsink like this? When I get a Velka 3 do you think I will be able to move my system without a problem or should I start to look for a replacement board while I wait? Thanks.
Images from Kitguru as mine is deep within a system and cannot be seen what I'm talking about.

I used ASUS Z390i Strix on Velka 7. Had to remove that shield cover since it was conflicting with PSU. I covered VRMs with VGA heatsinks instead. Hope that helps.

Not sure if that's helpful with Velka 3 but if you don't want to buy another MB, think it is possible.

Last edited:

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Interesting. Do you still have the cable on hand and could share a picture of that measurement?

Given those 3M cables are also used in Servers / Datacenters I would assume they are well enough insulated to prevent any shorts. But sure, I can understand that you don't want to confirm compatibility until you have tested them in the Velka.

fun fact: I heard the Corsair One also uses 3M risers and seems they can be bend pretty well to fit in tight cases... so would be great if those would also work...

My multimeter gives a resistance fluctuating between the magnitude of ohms and mega ohms at the edges of the 3M riser. There is some very thin conductive edge that cannot make stable contact with the my multimeter's leads during measurement.

Hi, I’m looking at building in the Velka 7, however I wanted to verify first if the mainboard I plan on using fits in the case.

I’m planing on using the Asus B560-I which has a little protrusion near the IO shield over the standard 17x17cm ITX footprint

Has anyone used this or a similar board when building in the Velka 7?

Or does anyone know if a little extra size is accommodated for or is it strictly 17x17cm?

Thanks for your help guys!

Asus B560-I
It will be a tight fit, but possible.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
So, I need a bit of a reality check.

I'm currently looking at moving my SG05 build to a new case I would like something a bit more portable and takes up less room on my desk. Was stuck between a Dan A4 and a CL520, but the Velka 5 2.0 has caught my interest specifically as it seems to be about the same volume as my previous Lone L5 build and can potentially fit my Palit RTX 3060 dual.

The main use cases are moderate gaming (Halo, Wreckfest, Death Stranding, Control, mostly retro/indie games as well) and graphic design (The Affinity suite, very light video editing).

Here's what I am looking at going with:
Parts I would buy:
Velka 5 2.0
Metalfish Z39 + Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM HS + Noctua Backplate
LOUQE Cobalt RC260 Twinax Gen4+ PCI-e 4.0 Riser Cable
ENP 7660B VK 600W Flex ATX Power Supply
Aorus 2TB 7000S M.2 Gen 4

Parts I own that would be used:
Ryzen 5 3600
Aorus B550i
Palit RTX 3060 Dual
Crucial P5 2TB M.2 NVME Gen 3
Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 in a 7mm 2.5 adapter
Corsair Vengence LPX 64GB 2666MHz

Does anyone have any experience running a similar setup in the Velka 5? How were the noise and temps?

Last edited:

marlark

Efficiency Noob
Sep 7, 2020
Has anyone found USB-C extension cable for GPUs? I've checked ADT on aliexpress before but it looks like the cables are USB 2.0 or male to male only.

marlark

Efficiency Noob
Sep 7, 2020
Has anyone found USB-C extension cable for GPUs? I've checked ADT on aliexpress before but it looks like the cables are USB 2.0 or male to male only.
NVM -- it looks like there is a USB-C 3.2 right angle male to female cable from ADT (http://www.adt.link/product/UTT-20G.html). Only issue is that the female portion does not have the mounting bracket that the other extension cables have. Does anyone have suggestions on how to mount it?

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
NVM -- it looks like there is a USB-C 3.2 right angle male to female cable from ADT (http://www.adt.link/product/UTT-20G.html). Only issue is that the female portion does not have the mounting bracket that the other extension cables have. Does anyone have suggestions on how to mount it?

There is a gap in the case that it can go through to hang out the back, that’s what Michael suggested doing earlier in the thread

ebolamonkey3

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2021
Hey guys, new here. Just bought a Velka 7 and looking forward to build in it. Two questions:
1. what is the size of the SSD tray? If I cut a large hole in the middle I be able to fit a 90mm fan there to push air out through the CPU side of the case (I'll be using a FE card).
2. has anyone tried using the Louqe Gen 4 riser cable? It looks pretty flexible and would be ok to be bent the way it needs to be.

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
Hey guys, new here. Just bought a Velka 7 and looking forward to build in it. Two questions:
1. what is the size of the SSD tray? If I cut a large hole in the middle I be able to fit a 90mm fan there to push air out through the CPU side of the case (I'll be using a FE card).
2. has anyone tried using the Louqe Gen 4 riser cable? It looks pretty flexible and would be ok to be bent the way it needs to be.

Someone posted a pic further up with the riser and it looks great!

Which FE? I’m using a 3080FE, undervolted to 0.850mv with a flipped PSU and it works great, no other fans needed

ebolamonkey3

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2021
Someone posted a pic further up with the riser and it looks great!

Which FE? I’m using a 3080FE, undervolted to 0.850mv with a flipped PSU and it works great, no other fans needed

I would be using the 3080 FE. So you have the card blowing hot air into your PSU, and using that as an exhaust?

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
I would be using the 3080 FE. So you have the card blowing hot air into your PSU, and using that as an exhaust?

Yep! I was a bit worried at first but seems to be working great. Under load I lock my GPU fans to 70% and in a pretty warm room it’s usually around 73c under full load

I also removed that SSD bracket by the PSU (it doesn’t fit when you flip the PSU) so the rest of the fan can exhaust there

ebolamonkey3

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2021
Yep! I was a bit worried at first but seems to be working great. Under load I lock my GPU fans to 70% and in a pretty warm room it’s usually around 73c under full load

I also removed that SSD bracket by the PSU (it doesn’t fit when you flip the PSU) so the rest of the fan can exhaust there

Gotcha - would it be a concern if you are traveling with the case though, since that is used for structural support?

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I'm looking for some feedback on this idea

For those who would prefer having direct access to the graphics card IO in the Velka 5 and 7 without the use of HDMI and DP extension cables, another design could be used for the main body of the case with a rectangular cutout on top above the graphics card. This can be backwards compatible with the current design but require re-assembly.

I was meaning to say in my earlier post, but is this idea still in the works?

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
Gotcha - would it be a concern if you are traveling with the case though, since that is used for structural support?

Not really. The structural support didn’t seem to do much anyway. There was still enough flex that the motherboard could slip off of the PSU even when it was attached. As long as everything else is screwed in properly I don’t see it making any functional difference in the rigidity of the case

Reactions: ebolamonkey3

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
This is something that I'm working on but there is no ETA yet.
Maybe (definitely) off topic, but I figured you would be more familiar with the nebulous world of Gen 4 PCIe adapters.

Have you seen any sign of Gen 4 M.2 to PCIe adapters? With TB4 being a pathetic retread of TB3, but miniPCs and mini ITX boards supporting PCIe 4.0 M.2, it could solve the GPU PCIe 3.0 x4 bottleneck.
Giving custom setups and certain sandwich cases the opportunity to add additional devices.