Production Velka series cases for ultra compact and portable desktops

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
@VELKASE Michael: I was having pretty high temps (high 70C) in my Velka 7 (v2) with RTX 3060 Ti FE. The GPU blow-through which looks like it goes straight to the SATA-tray (marked in red). Is the SATA-tray important for the integrity of the internal mounts, or can I choose to not install this (as shown in 2nd picture).
SATA-tray:

SATA-tray removed to allow for GPU air-flow:

PS: Velka 7 was my first SFF build and I absolutely loved putting it together. Thanks for an excellent product!

I've thought about but haven't actually tried stacking 2x Noctua 60mm fans as exhaust in place of that bracket as well, might be an option

prebsus

Chassis Packer
Feb 10, 2021
I've thought about but haven't actually tried stacking 2x Noctua 60mm fans as exhaust in place of that bracket as well, might be an option
Yeah, I've been playing with that thought these past few days as well. However, I'm maxing under 70C for both GPU and CPU during my usage (work & gaming), and it's very quiet after undervolting CPU and GPU, so I don't know how much difference it'll in my build to add extra fans...
Let me know if you do try it out, though! And what the effects are.
edit: typo

Last edited:

velka5simp

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2020
Someone on the sffpc subreddit did that (2x A6x25 fan) and said it improved his FE card temps by 3°C but made his PSU a lot louder because it was intaking the hot air.

prebsus

Chassis Packer
Feb 10, 2021
Someone on the sffpc subreddit did that (2x A6x25 fan) and said it improved his FE card temps by 3°C but made his PSU a lot louder because it was intaking the hot air.
Good to know. Currently my PSU is silent (SF750, and I don't think I've every seen the fan spin), but it's a trade-off worth thinking off at least...

Mamilias

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 2, 2020
I'm looking for some feedback on this idea

For those who would prefer having direct access to the graphics card IO in the Velka 5 and 7 without the use of HDMI and DP extension cables, another design could be used for the main body of the case with a rectangular cutout on top above the graphics card. This can be backwards compatible with the current design but require re-assembly.

I like this very much , also for the cooling of blower cards , the internal extensions are blocking the exhaust

dma550x

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 22, 2021
hey all, just built out my Velka 7 with my prev small case build (k39)'s RTX 2070 mini itx and AMD 3700x (mild uc). It seems the DP and HDMI cables block the exhaust of the video card, and I am noticing the overall temp of the case is pretty hot vs. the K39 and my open air setup. I'm a bit of a idle temp weenie, and I am up about 7-10 C idle vs. the K39 or free air. Just checking to see if anyone has a recommendation to getting best temps on a V7 without a lot of hacks or surgery?

dma550x

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 22, 2021
Hey all, I forgot I got this camera to diagnose some insulation issues at home. This is my velka7 at just about idle. AMD 3700x, RTX2070 mini itx black ridge with Noctua fan running on intake, thermal grizzley paste.

Pretty cool. Some interesting thoughts: The top right picture of the case shows where the blackridge is radiating. It should do that, the fan is set to intake. I expect hotness there. The puzzler is below the video card (third pic) there is a bubble of heat. That is actually an open area, where the SSD drives can be mounted.

prebsus

Chassis Packer
Feb 10, 2021
hey all, just built out my Velka 7 with my prev small case build (k39)'s RTX 2070 mini itx and AMD 3700x (mild uc). It seems the DP and HDMI cables block the exhaust of the video card, and I am noticing the overall temp of the case is pretty hot vs. the K39 and my open air setup. I'm a bit of a idle temp weenie, and I am up about 7-10 C idle vs. the K39 or free air. Just checking to see if anyone has a recommendation to getting best temps on a V7 without a lot of hacks or surgery?
I replied on your reddit post wrt the video extension ports. Based on the image you just posted, I'm wondering if you'd consider removing the SATA-tray like I did (link to earlier post here). It improved my temps quite a bit, though my 3060 Ti FE has an exhaust right into that plate, so it might make more sense in my case...

Sziklapeti

Trash Compacter
Jun 4, 2020
Meanwhile I wait for the europe avaiability I wonder if anyone can answer a question about motherboard compatibility. I am currently using an Asus Rog Strix Z390-i gaming wifi motherboard which has it's heatsink overhang the edge of the board. This is common in asus itx motherboards. Do any of you have used a combination of the new velka 3 with a motherboard with a heatsink like this? When I get a Velka 3 do you think I will be able to move my system without a problem or should I start to look for a replacement board while I wait? Thanks.
Images from Kitguru as mine is deep within a system and cannot be seen what I'm talking about.

kanxkeri

Cable Smoosher
Jan 16, 2020
Meanwhile I wait for the europe avaiability I wonder if anyone can answer a question about motherboard compatibility. I am currently using an Asus Rog Strix Z390-i gaming wifi motherboard which has it's heatsink overhang the edge of the board. This is common in asus itx motherboards. Do any of you have used a combination of the new velka 3 with a motherboard with a heatsink like this? When I get a Velka 3 do you think I will be able to move my system without a problem or should I start to look for a replacement board while I wait? Thanks.
Images from Kitguru as mine is deep within a system and cannot be seen what I'm talking about.
I used ASUS Z390i Strix on Velka 7. Had to remove that shield cover since it was conflicting with PSU. I covered VRMs with VGA heatsinks instead. Hope that helps.

Not sure if that's helpful with Velka 3 but if you don't want to buy another MB, think it is possible.

Reactions: Sziklapeti

dma550x

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 22, 2021
is there a fits/doesn’t fit list of video cards for this case? Not that I can find a 30 series card lol but if I did I wouldn’t want to get one that didn’t fit!

Tofu240

Efficiency Noob
Mar 8, 2021
Let me know if this isnt the place for this, first time posting here.

Looking to pull the trigger on the Velka 7, but i want horizontal layout and 3080FE -
As such, some changes will need to be made:
Laser cut/ CNC a bracket to allow for rotated mobo mounting (io facing up, same direction as GPU
Laser cut/ CNC bracket that shifts the PCIE riser mounting location (moves GPU closer towards the 'front' panel of velka 7)
Standoffs for PSU, moving it inwards so that it can lay flat + 90 degree C13 to C14 extension plug to the back of the case

According to some napkin maths ill also be able to fit two 60mm fans to assist GPU flow through exhaust, but im thinking ahead of myself. If my suggestions check out so far, the last issue to solve is motherboard IO, the top panel is in the way. Ive linked a super crude block in i did in PS, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Let me know if this isnt the place for this, first time posting here.

Looking to pull the trigger on the Velka 7, but i want horizontal layout and 3080FE -
As such, some changes will need to be made:
Laser cut/ CNC a bracket to allow for rotated mobo mounting (io facing up, same direction as GPU
Laser cut/ CNC bracket that shifts the PCIE riser mounting location (moves GPU closer towards the 'front' panel of velka 7)
Standoffs for PSU, moving it inwards so that it can lay flat + 90 degree C13 to C14 extension plug to the back of the case

According to some napkin maths ill also be able to fit two 60mm fans to assist GPU flow through exhaust, but im thinking ahead of myself. If my suggestions check out so far, the last issue to solve is motherboard IO, the top panel is in the way. Ive linked a super crude block in i did in PS, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
I don't think this will work as you may want it to because even if you were to make a new motherboard tray with the new mounting points,
-you would have to cut the top perforation, have the motherboard and graphics card IO face out from that cut perforation
-the graphics card chamber is 43 mm wide; C14 with a panel mount needs at least 45 mm so you would have to leave the power cable hanging out of the case
-offsetting the power supply with 25 mm standoffs to make the minimal clearance for the 90 degree C13 will only leave space for 40 mm fans

Tofu240

Efficiency Noob
Mar 8, 2021
I don't think this will work as you may want it to because even if you were to make a new motherboard tray with the new mounting points,
-you would have to cut the top perforation, have the motherboard and graphics card IO face out from that cut perforation
-the graphics card chamber is 43 mm wide; C14 with a panel mount needs at least 45 mm so you would have to leave the power cable hanging out of the case
-offsetting the power supply with 25 mm standoffs to make the minimal clearance for the 90 degree C13 will only leave space for 40 mm fans
Thanks for getting back to me Michael -

Regarding the rear IO i've no plan, possibly just cutting along the perforation holes using some snippers. As for the PSU extender cable im trying to get ahold of what ZS Cases seems to be making, seems low profile enough but im trying to find specific dimensions.

Im looking at build videos on youtube and studying the manual, heres what ive got -

I dont have specific measurements so this might be as far as i get planning-wise. Can you verify that this checks out/ is possible?

Everything else comes after this so at this point i think i just need to get the case and start hacking.

prebsus

Chassis Packer
Feb 10, 2021
@Tofu240, the gpu shift mod is relatively simple - you'll only need a drill driver, a file and a 3d printer for riser holder. Was able to move it by 24 mm and probably that's the maximum
Wow! That is really clever for 3080 thermal management.
Also, what are those clips you are using for cable management? did you 3D-print those yourself, or is that available somewhere? Looks incredible!

Reactions: Tofu240

anothersffuser

Cable Smoosher
Nov 3, 2020
Wow! That is really clever for 3080 thermal management.
Also, what are those clips you are using for cable management? did you 3D-print those yourself, or is that available somewhere? Looks incredible!
Hi, all 3D-printed, spent a lot of time on it, there's 3 different wire thicknesses.. The main 24 pin one has 5 thin wires and rest are 'standard' (like on CPU/PCIE), the 12-pin GPU has thickness somewhere between those 2. All the cables are obviously from Corsair. Anyway in an ideal world where it's possible buy second 3080 and 5900x if something went wrong, I would definitely go with custom short cables. You have 660mm for GPU, but you need only 200, 300mm for MB where you need maybe 120 and 400 for cpu instead of 150

Reactions: Tofu240 and prebsus

Tofu240

Efficiency Noob
Mar 8, 2021
@Tofu240, the gpu shift mod is relatively simple - you'll only need a drill driver, a file and a 3d printer for riser holder. Was able to move it by 24 mm and probably that's the maximum
This is almost exactly what i had in mind, thank you for sharing!
To clarify you're using the same GPU IO shield, but re-drilled the mounting holes? Also did you design the riser extender yourself?
Thanks for sharing again, this is super helpful.

anothersffuser

Cable Smoosher
Nov 3, 2020
This is almost exactly what i had in mind, thank you for sharing!
To clarify you're using the same GPU IO shield, but re-drilled the mounting holes? Also did you design the riser extender yourself?
Thanks for sharing again, this is super helpful.
Here's everything I've done as I remember and here's the riser holder .stl google docks link. And yep, I've designed it, but I was pretty limited with the printing space (Elegoo Mars) so it could be done better.
The problem with that exact part is that it was built for that 24 mm gpu move, so you'll need to modify it slightly for different gpu offsets